Official 2011 MLB Draft - Day 1

• Replies 379
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jun 6, 2011 -> 08:23 AM)
One of my favorite events of the year. Sucks we don't have a first round pick. So what's the scoop for what the Sox have planned at #47? Anything new? I'll be surfing the web all day for info.

I think being so far down with the first pick, it's really a wait-and-see approach since they probably have no idea who will be left. My guess is a college starting pitcher. We have a complete dearth of near-ML-ready arms in the system, so that would be my top priority. Granted, if someone really good slipped, I would jump all over him regardless of position.

Should be an interesting pick though. You would hope the Sox would take a better, higher priced player because of the extra cash we save from not having a round one pick.

I always assume the Sox will take a college arm with their first pick. I don't think that's a bad thing either.

Most people are complaining about draft spending, but we've all been really happy with the last three first rounders when the picks were made. Heck, two of those are in the Majors already. They are starting to deserve our faith a little bit.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Jun 6, 2011 -> 10:28 AM)
I always assume the Sox will take a college arm with their first pick. I don't think that's a bad thing either.

That's pretty much how I feel about it.

Question for the masses, should the Sox take a chance on any of these guys who have come up with injuries in the last month or so instead of picking from the healthy players? Could it be worth it in the long run?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 6, 2011 -> 03:29 PM)
That's pretty much how I feel about it.

Question for the masses, should the Sox take a chance on any of these guys who have come up with injuries in the last month or so instead of picking from the healthy players? Could it be worth it in the long run?

Absolutely you take a chance with someone who's stock has fallen due to injuries. If they haven't been injured yet, there's a decent chance most of them will be in the future anyways (Tommy John, shoulder, etc).

Most people are complaining about draft spending, but we've all been really happy with the last three first rounders when the picks were made. Heck, two of those are in the Majors already. They are starting to deserve our faith a little bit.

And Sale really though was a high-price guy if the spending is looked as broadly. Was his bonus exorbitant? No. But since they made him that deal to get him fast tracked to the Majors, it was more costly overall. So you're right they do deserve some more credit.

Edited by maggsmaggs

Relying on your first and second rounders to be your only significant contribution to your MLB team will be a major fail for any organization. Teams have to find talent deep in the draft if they want any depth.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Jun 6, 2011 -> 10:36 AM)
Relying on your first and second rounders to be your only significant contribution to your MLB team will be a major fail for any organization. Teams have to find talent deep in the draft if they want any depth.

Or have 12 picks in the first 89.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Jun 6, 2011 -> 10:37 AM)
Or have 12 picks in the first 89.

But the Rays are probably the best team going right now at finding the gems of the draft that aren't top round guys. It's really scary to think what they will do in this draft with all those picks in such a loaded year.

Also will be interesting to see how much frickin money they are gonna have to spend.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jun 6, 2011 -> 10:39 AM)
Bubba Starling is generating some serious helium. There's rumblings he could go as high as second, though I doubt it. I saw one mock that had him going to the Cubs. Let's hope not.

I know who he is, but really have paid much attention to his football vs. baseball debate. Where is he at in that regard? I know it's Nebraska for football as a QB.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Jun 6, 2011 -> 10:43 AM)
I know who he is, but really have paid much attention to his football vs. baseball debate. Where is he at in that regard? I know it's Nebraska for football as a QB.

Seems like he's leaning towards football. But that could be just posturing. I saw some vid (I know. Can't take too much from a 45 second scouting vid), but the athleticism is legit. And every draft site I've been too says he has 5 legitimate tools.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jun 6, 2011 -> 10:47 AM)
Seems like he's leaning towards football. But that could be just posturing. I saw some vid (I know. Can't take too much from a 45 second scouting vid), but the athleticism is legit. And every draft site I've been too says he has 5 legitimate tools.

Well in that case, let's hope the Cubs draft and he doesn't sign.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Jun 6, 2011 -> 10:59 AM)
So what round are the Sox taking Ozney in? And is he even a legit prospect at all? I know a couple years ago he was mentioned as someone worth paying attention to.

I don't think they can draft him. I don't think he is back in the draft yet.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Jun 6, 2011 -> 10:59 AM)
So what round are the Sox taking Ozney in? And is he even a legit prospect at all? I know a couple years ago he was mentioned as someone worth paying attention to.

Two things could stop the Sox from taking Ozney:

1) He's not draft eligible

2) He asks for overslot

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 6, 2011 -> 11:09 AM)
Just reading brief summary and not reviewing any mock drafts besides top 10 picks, the player who jumps out at me as someone that KW and company might like and is ranked in the 50 range is Anthony Meo of Coastal Carolina.

I read about him. I'd be surprised if he made it to us. Really nice arm. But any scouting report that says "future closer" scares me. I don't care if this is a supplemental pick. We NEED starting pitching.

That is a safe assumption.