Jake Peavy willing to go to the bullpen

Bighurt52235

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 15, 2011 -> 10:27 AM)
This is thing that drives me crazy about Soxtalk. One day Peavy is an asshole for pushing himself too hard. The very next week when he offers to do something to try to help the team, and put himself in a situation to save himself a little more, he gets taken apart.

This is the thing that drives me crazy about Jake Peavy. He is never healthy and, thus, causes all of this discussion to become necessary.

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 15, 2011 -> 12:51 PM)
Depends on your definition of "Necessary".

Let's just say that we wouldn't be having this discussion at all if it weren't for Peavy getting hurt all of the time. So if it's unfair how we treat him on Soxtalk, I'm sure Peavy will find solace in the millions of dollars he's basically stealing from the organization.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Jun 15, 2011 -> 01:33 PM)
As Balta said, people get so upset because of his complete inability to stay healthy. It's great that he has a "bulldog" mentality and that he'd trade all of the sunshine and lollipops in the world to help the team, but he doesn't. He's just a massive waste of money, years, and a roster spot. Sure, he didn't ask to be born as frail as a leprous hemophiliac, but he is and it's tiring.

And like I said, it's fine to complain about all that. But all the guy said was that he would be willing to come back in any capacity the club thought would be best. And he got jumped on and told to just go away. At what point does it become b****ing just to b****?

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 14, 2011 -> 08:34 PM)
Of course, I'm of the opinion that in the long run this year, we're a better team without Jake Peavy on the roster.

This post has no logic, none. We are much better with Peavy and the attitude he brings to the clubhouse.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jun 15, 2011 -> 06:35 PM)
This post has no logic, none. We are much better with Peavy and the attitude he brings to the clubhouse.

The point that if we make adjustments to the rotation, and more importantly, the pen to accomodate Peavy again just to have him get hurt and mess up the rotation is why I think we're better off without him this year (since it doesn't seem like he'll be 100% again). I was excited that maybe Peavy turned a corner with that great Indians start, but it seemed that game just took a lot out of him as his fastball was way down after it. I'd much rather go with the 5 man rotation we have and try and get another righty into the pen. And for the record, I think that a less than 100% Peavy would be our 6th best starting pitcher.

Edited by fathom

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Jun 15, 2011 -> 12:42 PM)
This is the thing that drives me crazy about Jake Peavy. He is never healthy and, thus, causes all of this discussion to become necessary.

This.

Honestly, the team would probably be better focused if he'd just go away.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 15, 2011 -> 02:51 PM)
The point that if we make adjustments to the rotation, and more importantly, the pen to accomodate Peavy again just to have him get hurt and mess up the rotation is why I think we're better off without him this year (since it doesn't seem like he'll be 100% again). I was excited that maybe Peavy turned a corner with that great Indians start, but it seemed that game just took a lot out of him as his fastball was way down after it. I'd much rather go with the 5 man rotation we have and try and get another righty into the pen. And for the record, I think that a less than 100% Peavy would be our 6th best starting pitcher.

How on Earth would moving Peavy to the pen necessitate adjustments to the pen? taking away valuable innings from Lucas Harrell or Brian Bruney?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 15, 2011 -> 06:59 PM)
How on Earth would moving Peavy to the pen necessitate adjustments to the pen? taking away valuable innings from Lucas Harrell or Brian Bruney?

I was talking about having Peavy back in the rotation, and why unless he's going to be healthy, he's just a distraction and disrupts the flow of the team. I don't think they'll ever move him back to the pen, but if they're doing it for the rest of the year, then I'm fine with that (since we have a need for another righty reliever).

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jun 15, 2011 -> 10:01 AM)
It's not like he was pitching like s***. Other than that meltdown inning against Detroit, he had been pretty solid. So he can't be offering this up due to poor performance. Nothing else to to believe other than him coming to the conclusion that he probably can't physically do it as a starter anymore. So we officially have a Kerry Wood clone on our hands. A $17 million dollar one. The SP prognosis for this team going forward (specifically after this season) is frightening.

What makes you rule out the fact that, ya know, he's a good teammate and feels responsible for the 6 man rotation and therefore should be the one to go to the pen? Have you ever offered to do something knowing damn well that you really don't want to do it? You make the offer knowing that you will likely be turned down? That's what I see here...JFP being the team player that he was in SD and that he's proven to be here in CHI.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Jun 15, 2011 -> 01:22 PM)
And like I said, it's fine to complain about all that. But all the guy said was that he would be willing to come back in any capacity the club thought would be best. And he got jumped on and told to just go away. At what point does it become b****ing just to b****?

I'm tired of hearing from him, period. Shut the f*** up and pitch, or go away. It's been all talk and no results with this guy since we traded for him two years ago.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Jun 15, 2011 -> 03:14 PM)
I'm tired of hearing from him, period. Shut the f*** up and pitch, or go away. It's been all talk and no results with this guy since we traded for him two years ago.

There's been a Helluva lot more talk from the people complaining about him than there has been from him.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 15, 2011 -> 02:15 PM)
There's been a Helluva lot more talk from the people complaining about him than there has been from him.

LOL, I love this. Once people have legitimate things to complain about and there's no defending it, it's suddenly the complaining posters that are targeted.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Jun 15, 2011 -> 03:18 PM)
LOL, I love this. Once people have legitimate things to complain about and there's no defending it, it's suddenly the complaining posters that are targeted.

Because we're pretty darn tired of them.

QUOTE (mmmmmbeeer @ Jun 15, 2011 -> 02:05 PM)
What makes you rule out the fact that, ya know, he's a good teammate and feels responsible for the 6 man rotation and therefore should be the one to go to the pen? Have you ever offered to do something knowing damn well that you really don't want to do it? You make the offer knowing that you will likely be turned down? That's what I see here...JFP being the team player that he was in SD and that he's proven to be here in CHI.

Man, it must be the easiest thing in the world for Peavy to be a good teammate. He's never with the team, and all he has to do is say how much he really, really, really, really, really, really, really wants to help the team.

I'll do anything to help this team win, except stay healthy and, you know, physically help this team win games.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 15, 2011 -> 02:27 PM)
The complaining is bad enough, but the jumps to conclusions that don't even make sense are what is driving me crazy.

About him basically throwing in the towel? While I can see the logic in that, I never made that argument myself. I'm just sick and tired of the whole Peavy saga.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 15, 2011 -> 08:27 PM)
The complaining is bad enough, but the jumps to conclusions that don't even make sense are what is driving me crazy.

And to play devil's advocate, it drives some people crazy that there are posters that still view him as the NL Cy Young caliber pitcher before injuries and pitching in the Grand Canyon in a different era.