Jake Peavy willing to go to the bullpen

Bighurt52235

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 15, 2011 -> 10:30 AM)
Who's taking him apart? I have no problem with him saying this (even though it's funny to see how people get so excited to hear him say "grinder-ish" things), it's just that it's probably not in his or the team's best interest to have him be a reliever UNLESS there is reason for him to question his ability to remain a starter.

If you look at the schedule, we have days off on the 23rd and 27th. With a 6 man rotation, that really stretches out time between starts. Let him ride it out in the pen, pick their spots to use him, see how he responds. Then maybe give him a start before the ASG, put him back in the rotation after the break. Makes sense to me.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 15, 2011 -> 10:27 AM)
This is thing that drives me crazy about Soxtalk. One day Peavy is an asshole for pushing himself too hard. The very next week when he offers to do something to try to help the team, and put himself in a situation to save himself a little more, he gets taken apart.

Taken apart? All that was being insinuated is that he possibly thinks he can't start anymore. He's healthy enough to throw 1 inning but not six? How else is one supposed to take that?

QUOTE (YASNY @ Jun 15, 2011 -> 03:35 PM)
If you look at the schedule, we have days off on the 23rd and 27th. With a 6 man rotation, that really stretches out time between starts. Let him ride it out in the pen, pick their spots to use him, see how he responds. Then maybe give him a start before the ASG, put him back in the rotation after the break. Makes sense to me.

But then you have questions about him having to gain stamina again if he's only pitching a few innings every week. It's not an ideal situation, and I don't think for a second the Sox will go through with it. I do follow what you're saying, and it wouldn't be the worst thing.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 15, 2011 -> 10:37 AM)
But then you have questions about him having to gain stamina again if he's only pitching a few innings every week. It's not an ideal situation, and I don't think for a second the Sox will go through with it. I do follow what you're saying, and it wouldn't be the worst thing.

Hense, my comment about giving him a start before the break ... short leash type thing. We'd have the break for the pen to recover if they have to rack up some innings in his start.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jun 15, 2011 -> 10:35 AM)
Taken apart? All that was being insinuated is that he possibly thinks he can't start anymore. He's healthy enough to throw 1 inning but not six? How else is one supposed to take that?

That he is willing to take one for the team? That fits his personality better than anything else.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jun 15, 2011 -> 10:21 AM)
So basically another lost season from him. And why is 2012 supposed to be any different? He's going to all of a sudden get and stay healthy? Once is a fluke. Hell, twice could be just bad luck. But three, four, five times? And let's not forget that our rotation could look drastically different next season. Looks like we might have to overpay for Buehrle if we want to keep him. Jackson is as good as gone. Danks could be gone depending on where we're at come July 31st. We've already lost a full season of Chris Sale developing as a starter. So he probably won't be an option until 2013 at the earliest. And there's nothing else even close to big league ready in the minors. It's Floyd and Humber (the latter has all of a sudden become a necessity instead of a bonus) as our locks going into next season. Yikes.

Do I think Peavy will make 33 starts in 2012? No. From 03-08, he did make 27+ starts a year. The large chunk of starts he missed the last 3 seasons are basically due to two major injuries, and one of them was running the bases. He probably will hit the DL with something in 2012, but that doesn't mean he won't be a part of the rotation that season and can't provide at least 150+ innings. Is that ideal? Of course not. But with his contract you are stuck with, it's not like you have any other choice.

After reading the article, this is probably something as simple as a reporter asking Peavy how he thinks he could do in a bullpen role, to which any pitcher (especially someone as team-oriented as Jake) would give a similar response to. What was he gonna say if asked about it directly? No?

Once they get what they want to hear, they make it seem like one day Peavy woke up and out of the blue declared that he wants to go to the bullpen.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jun 15, 2011 -> 10:42 AM)
Well, that makes for a nice Disney movie and all, but in the real world that screams failure.

What difference does that make? If you are trying to figure out why he is doing it, the eventual results don't matter. His history matters more than anything.

QUOTE (Swingandalongonetoleft @ Jun 15, 2011 -> 03:43 PM)
After reading the article, this is probably something as simple as a reporter asking Peavy how he thinks he could do in a bullpen role, to which any pitcher (especially someone as team-oriented as Jake) would give a similar response to. What was he gonna say if asked about it directly? No?

Once they get what they want to hear, they make it seem like one day Peavy woke up and out of the blue declared that he wants to go to the bullpen.

Might want to tell Ozzie that, as they said they'll have to consider this and what's best for Peavy's health.

QUOTE (Swingandalongonetoleft @ Jun 15, 2011 -> 10:43 AM)

Absolutely. It's the Phil Rogers's style of writing. Albert Pujols said the word "cubs" the other day and was seen on the north side so he must be looking for apartments and schools.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 14, 2011 -> 11:34 PM)
Of course, I'm of the opinion that in the long run this year, we're a better team without Jake Peavy on the roster.

Well, then the shot at winning anything is extremely slim then unless KW sells the farm for a #1 pitcher which won't happen cuz our farm system sucks

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 15, 2011 -> 12:54 PM)
So you think Peavy can be an ace again this year?

Most certainly, we have seen some flashes of his former self. I think as the season goes on and moving further away from that lat surgery giving him more strength would make him better.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jun 15, 2011 -> 07:24 AM)
I just hope this isn't an admission from Jake that he himself isn't sure he can stay healthy as a starter...

The problem with moving someone else to the bullpen in favor of Jake is that when he hurts himself again, you're going to have to move that bullpen pitcher back into the rotation again. Not a good idea to be bouncing someone back and forth like that.

Which means you basically have to put Jake there or stick with a 6 man rotation when Jake gets back.

For this reason, Fathom makes a really good point about whether or not JP actually helps us by being healthy at all.

Exactly. As much as I want to like Peavy, I just want him to go away. Retire or something, I don't know. Just stop wasting our time and maybe give us back some of that money? Thanks.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Jun 15, 2011 -> 07:49 AM)
I don't get what is so wrong about this and why people are so upset with Jake. He is clearly dying to help the team in any capacity that he can. He wants to win and he wants to be a part of it, that much is evident. Is putting him in the bullpen the wisest decision? I'd say probably not. But it's hard for me to fault the guy for willing to perform in whatever capacity the club deems fit. Most pitchers would never offer to go to the bullpen no matter what. Complain all you want about his propensity to get injured (and it's a legitimate complaint), but at least to me there is nothing to say badly about his character. I really have no problem with him saying this at all.

As Balta said, people get so upset because of his complete inability to stay healthy. It's great that he has a "bulldog" mentality and that he'd trade all of the sunshine and lollipops in the world to help the team, but he doesn't. He's just a massive waste of money, years, and a roster spot. Sure, he didn't ask to be born as frail as a leprous hemophiliac, but he is and it's tiring.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jun 15, 2011 -> 10:07 AM)
I think he probably is just as frustrated as anyone. He probably feels like he is letting down the Club and the fans.

I know most athletes wouldn't care, but I think some of them feel like real douchebags if they're making a ton of money and not backing it up on the field. It's just not good for anyone when that happens.

Because he is. There's no two ways about it.