Jake Peavy willing to go to the bullpen

Bighurt52235

I will say this - peavy's motion looked too be devoid of any attempt to ease up on the recoil... I just hope it doesn't lead to another injury. Also, I wonder if his return to that motion accounted for the increased movement?

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 26, 2011 -> 12:44 PM)
Peavy looked great out of the pen. If we have to go to a five man rotation eventually, he would be my choice for the pen

I 100% disagree. We're paying him to be a starter, he's good as a starter, he's more valuable to us as a starter. I'd rather have Edwin move.

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Jun 26, 2011 -> 12:45 PM)
I 100% disagree. We're paying him to be a starter, he's good as a starter, he's more valuable to us as a starter. I'd rather have Edwin move.

Edwin would be horrible out of the pen. His biggest problem has been the 30 pitch first inning. Can you imagine him pulling that with games on the line in the 7th or 8th innings?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 26, 2011 -> 12:46 PM)
Edwin would be horrible out of the pen. His biggest problem has been the 30 pitch first inning. Can you imagine him pulling that with games on the line in the 7th or 8th innings?

Fair enough on Edwin, but I maintain that having Peavy relieve is a massive waste of money and we're less likely to win games with him as a RP than a SP.

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Jun 26, 2011 -> 12:49 PM)
Fair enough on Edwin, but I maintain that having Peavy relieve is a massive waste of money and we're less likely to win games with him as a RP than a SP.

Moneywise it isn't the best thing, but if we want to win games, I think he is the best call.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 26, 2011 -> 10:55 AM)
Moneywise it isn't the best thing, but if we want to win games, I think he is the best call.

I want us to win at least 10 games in which Peavy starts during the second half. :)

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 26, 2011 -> 06:44 PM)
Peavy looked great out of the pen. If we have to go to a five man rotation eventually, he would be my choice for the pen

I disagree, as you want him to build up his arm this season cause you'll have to rely on him to be a starter next year while Jackson will be pitching elsewhere.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 26, 2011 -> 11:04 AM)
I disagree, as you want him to build up his arm this season cause you'll have to rely on him to be a starter next year while Jackson will be pitching elsewhere.

Yep. Jackson has disappointed me as I thought he'd find more consistent success under Coopers wings. Hopefully he can have a dominant second half - he's capable - that's for sure. Heck, so is Peavy. This team could be very very exciting for the rest of the year if people start playing up to their potential. :)

We all know that but in moments / weeks of frustration - I think we tend to forget just how talented this group is. If we don't go into the playoffs, 2011 will be on par with 2006 in terms of disappointment for me.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 26, 2011 -> 01:04 PM)

Peavy has a decade under his belt. He will be fine for next year.

QUOTE (hi8is @ Jun 26, 2011 -> 07:10 PM)
Yep. Jackson has disappointed me as I thought he'd find more consistent success under Coopers wings. Hopefully he can have a dominant second half - he's capable - that's for sure. Heck, so is Peavy. This team could be very very exciting for the rest of the year if people start playing up to their potential. :)

We all know that but in moments / weeks of frustration - I think we tend to forget just how talented this group is. If we don't go into the playoffs, 2011 will be on par with 2006 in terms of disappointment for me.

In my opinion, it's two different situations. 2006, the Sox played like they were one of the top two or three teams in baseball for an extended stretch. That run during interleague play in 2006 was as exciting a Sox team as there's been for me since I've been a fan. This year, we just haven't come close to putting it all together. Still time though, but let's face it, if you have 3, 4 or 5 hitters in your everyday lineup struggle all season, it wasn't meant to be. Good news is we're still in it when we could have been 10 out by now.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 26, 2011 -> 06:34 PM)
In my opinion, it's two different situations. 2006, the Sox played like they were one of the top two or three teams in baseball for an extended stretch. That run during interleague play in 2006 was as exciting a Sox team as there's been for me since I've been a fan. This year, we just haven't come close to putting it all together. Still time though, but let's face it, if you have 3, 4 or 5 hitters in your everyday lineup struggle all season, it wasn't meant to be. Good news is we're still in it when we could have been 10 out by now.

And those Tigers and Twins teams were flat out good or better than us that season.

We ran out of gas. But the first half, we just crushed teams. I remember, in particular, feeling sorry almost for the Cardinals. We were a juggernaut. 26 games over .500 and yet the Tigers were there with us every step of the way.

And then the Twins with their amazing stretch.

I can't imagine anyone expected the 2011 team to be nearly as good as 2006. I was hoping for 88-90 wins, but wasn't sure that would be enough to win the division. In some ways, I was more excited going into 2009 because I was buying into the hype that Viciedo would be ready to contribute right away. And I thought the Twins "fear" was past us with the breakthrough in Game 163.

This year, the Tigers have that dominant starting pitching, closer, and they have Boesch, Avila, Cabrera and V-Mart, but their offensive punch is nothing compared to what it was 3-5 years ago. They used to have dangerous hitters at every spot in the line-up. Magglio's on his last legs, too.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 26, 2011 -> 08:19 PM)
And those Tigers and Twins teams were flat out good or better than us that season.

We ran out of gas. But the first half, we just crushed teams. I remember, in particular, feeling sorry almost for the Cardinals. We were a juggernaut. 26 games over .500 and yet the Tigers were there with us every step of the way.

And then the Twins with their amazing stretch.

I can't imagine anyone expected the 2011 team to be nearly as good as 2006. I was hoping for 88-90 wins, but wasn't sure that would be enough to win the division. In some ways, I was more excited going into 2009 because I was buying into the hype that Viciedo would be ready to contribute right away. And I thought the Twins "fear" was past us with the breakthrough in Game 163.

This year, the Tigers have that dominant starting pitching, closer, and they have Boesch, Avila, Cabrera and V-Mart, but their offensive punch is nothing compared to what it was 3-5 years ago. They used to have dangerous hitters at every spot in the line-up. Magglio's on his last legs, too.

The Tigers don't have dominant starting pitching. They have a dominant starting pitcher.