Jake Peavy willing to go to the bullpen

Bighurt52235

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 15, 2011 -> 03:31 PM)
And to play devil's advocate, it drives some people crazy that there are posters that still view him as the NL Cy Young caliber pitcher before injuries and pitching in the Grand Canyon in a different era.

Someone said something about jumps to conclusions?

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 15, 2011 -> 02:31 PM)
And to play devil's advocate, it drives some people crazy that there are posters that still view him as the NL Cy Young caliber pitcher before injuries and pitching in the Grand Canyon in a different era.

Who?

I can think of one or two. And it is WAAAAAAAAAAAY outscreamed by the just go ahead and die Peavy crowd.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 15, 2011 -> 02:39 PM)
Who?

I can think of one or two. And it is WAAAAAAAAAAAY outscreamed by the just go ahead and die Peavy crowd.

Leading in replies in this thread:

1 Peavy STFU and go away

2 Complaining about complainers

3 Peavy still can be our Cy Young

I'm just shocked at how much slack White Sox fans have shown Peavy. I don't hate Jake, I just don't really care for him that much as I view him as a colossal waste of money so far in a Sox jersey due to injuries and inconsistency. I wonder what people would be saying if he didn't come to Chicago with a "gamer" reputation, and instead had a reputation like Judy Garland.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Jun 15, 2011 -> 03:14 PM)
I'm tired of hearing from him, period. Shut the f*** up and pitch, or go away. It's been all talk and no results with this guy since we traded for him two years ago.

So it's his fault he answers questions now too? Would you rather he said no comment from here on out? Because I'm pretty sure people would then complain about him having a poor attitude etc...

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 15, 2011 -> 08:48 PM)
Jhesus, he has an .860 OPS for the year. No wonder the Tigers have taken over first.

With Austin Jackson picking it up and Boesch adding some punch, that lineup is quite scary. They're one trade away from being in a great position to win the AL Central. I thought Phil Coke had been horrible, but was shocked to see how good his ERA is.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Jun 15, 2011 -> 02:46 PM)
So it's his fault he answers questions now too? Would you rather he said no comment from here on out? Because I'm pretty sure people would then complain about him having a poor attitude etc...

I would prefer that to his constant "I'm going to do this and that when I return after working harder than I ever have to make my comeback" talk.

In a perfect world, I would just like him to remain healthy. That, or just completely hurt himself so much that he'll just retire.

Like fathom just said, I'm sick of all of the slack the guy gets for doing nothing just because he's such a "gamer".

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 15, 2011 -> 02:46 PM)
I'm just shocked at how much slack White Sox fans have shown Peavy. I don't hate Jake, I just don't really care for him that much as I view him as a colossal waste of money so far in a Sox jersey due to injuries and inconsistency. I wonder what people would be saying if he didn't come to Chicago with a "gamer" reputation, and instead had a reputation like Judy Garland.

Give me 5 Jon Garland's over 5 Jake Peavy's any day. Hell, 5 Jake Peavy's might combine to throw as many innings as one Garland.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 15, 2011 -> 03:50 PM)
With Austin Jackson picking it up and Boesch adding some punch, that lineup is quite scary. They're one trade away from being in a great position to win the AL Central. I thought Phil Coke had been horrible, but was shocked to see how good his ERA is.

In other words...there's still a good number of reasons to look at that team and think they're "April Cleveland-ing" it right now.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Jun 15, 2011 -> 03:52 PM)
I would prefer that to his constant "I'm going to do this and that when I return after working harder than I ever have to make my comeback" talk.

In a perfect world, I would just like him to remain healthy. That, or just completely hurt himself so much that he'll just retire.

Like fathom just said, I'm sick of all of the slack the guy gets for doing nothing just because he's such a "gamer".

I'm not cutting him slack. He has done almost nothing for us in his time here. He also has made a valiant effort to correct that situation. He could easily just say oh screw up I got paid and sulk or pout but he's making an effort to be a good teammate, he's making an effort to contribute and he's saying all the right things as far as the team goes. I'm rooting for him not only because it would help our team if he could ever get healthy but also because he is clearly a guy who is easy to root for. This all started because he said he was willing to go to the bullpen. Instead of soley discussing the merits of that, which I don't think would work, the thread largely turned into a Peavy bash session. If the guy had come out and demanded he be back in the rotation that would be done thing, but he responded to a question and said he'd be fine going to the bullpen. Some of the responses were just ridiculous.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 15, 2011 -> 02:02 PM)
I was talking about having Peavy back in the rotation, and why unless he's going to be healthy, he's just a distraction and disrupts the flow of the team. I don't think they'll ever move him back to the pen, but if they're doing it for the rest of the year, then I'm fine with that (since we have a need for another righty reliever).

I think you are romanticizing this team and the game a little bit. I don't think these guys get distracted so easily. They are paid professionals, most of them have been doing this for years. They might perform worse in roles they aren't used to, but I don't see them losing focus because one of their teammates gets hurt a few times a year. In fact, they are used to him getting hurt, too.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 15, 2011 -> 08:55 PM)
In other words...there's still a good number of reasons to look at that team and think they're "April Cleveland-ing" it right now.

Well, if you want to say Peralta is overachieving, then I'd suggest that Raburn is underachieving and likely to improve as season goes on. No one talks about how ridiculous the Indians bullpen has been this year, and that's why they won so many games the first two months.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Jun 15, 2011 -> 02:58 PM)
I'm not cutting him slack. He has done almost nothing for us in his time here. He also has made a valiant effort to correct that situation. He could easily just say oh screw up I got paid and sulk or pout but he's making an effort to be a good teammate, he's making an effort to contribute and he's saying all the right things as far as the team goes. I'm rooting for him not only because it would help our team if he could ever get healthy but also because he is clearly a guy who is easy to root for. This all started because he said he was willing to go to the bullpen. Instead of soley discussing the merits of that, which I don't think would work, the thread largely turned into a Peavy bash session. If the guy had come out and demanded he be back in the rotation that would be done thing, but he responded to a question and said he'd be fine going to the bullpen. Some of the responses were just ridiculous.

That's gonna happen when you make $17 million a season to do nothing. People are going to rip on you no matter what if you aren't producing. It's all squarely on Peavy. He's the only one that can fix it.

QUOTE (MAX @ Jun 15, 2011 -> 08:58 PM)
I think you are romanticizing this team and the game a little bit. I don't think these guys get distracted so easily. They are paid professionals, most of them have been doing this for years. They might perform worse in roles they aren't used to, but I don't see them losing focus because one of their teammates gets hurt a few times a year. In fact, they are used to him getting hurt, too.

When you have to go to a 6 man rotation and have fewer guys in the bullpen, then it disrupts your team (especially given the lack of depth in our pen). The biggest disappointment about Peavy's inability to stay healthy this year is we can't trade Jackson if we want to.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 15, 2011 -> 04:00 PM)
When you have to go to a 6 man rotation and have fewer guys in the bullpen, then it disrupts your team (especially given the lack of depth in our pen). The biggest disappointment about Peavy's inability to stay healthy this year is we can't trade Jackson if we want to.

We're that desperate for peanuts?