Adam Dunn: The Least Exciting Player Ever

LittleHurt05

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Jun 28, 2011 -> 03:48 PM)
Oney Guillen calling someone classless is the definition of irony.

I don't hate Ozzie as a person nearly as much as I hate his children in that way, but I strongly dislike him as a person because I know that he made them the people they are.

My two cents: the booing him is pointless. What does that accomplish? You think HE does not know fans are unhappy? Do we really think he's happy hitting .173 and doesn't care?

If he was some lazy ass or clubhouse cancer like Milton Bradley, I'd boo away. But he's not. He seemed genuinely excited to be coming here.

QUOTE (LVSoxFan @ Jun 28, 2011 -> 04:00 PM)
My two cents: the booing him is pointless. What does that accomplish? You think HE does not know fans are unhappy? Do we really think he's happy hitting .173 and doesn't care?

If he was some lazy ass or clubhouse cancer like Milton Bradley, I'd boo away. But he's not. He seemed genuinely excited to be coming here.

They have to justify the annual increases in ticket prices and concessions to pay huge contracts to guys like this. If I'm going to have to pay more to see my team play because of guys like Rios and Dunn then I will gladly boo their disastrous performance.

QUOTE (LVSoxFan @ Jun 28, 2011 -> 10:00 PM)

I'm sure it's not helping Dunn any.

To those at the games ... does the booing seem mean spirited and hateful? Or is it just like the obligatory booing for a guy hitting .175 and whiffing all the time?

I get the feeling it's kind of obligatory booing and not hateful.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jun 28, 2011 -> 04:02 PM)

To those at the games ... does the booing seem mean spirited and hateful? Or is it just like the obligatory booing for a guy hitting .175 and whiffing all the time?

You are spot on. I boo him, because its ridiculous.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jun 28, 2011 -> 05:02 PM)
They have to justify the annual increases in ticket prices and concessions to pay huge contracts to guys like this. If I'm going to have to pay more to see my team play because of guys like Rios and Dunn then I will gladly boo their disastrous performance.

They'd be increasing ticket prices anyway, you're smarter than this. The goal in ticket sales is always to maximize revenue since there's little/no change in expenses to open the ballpark. They'll say that a ticket price increase gets you a player but it's BS.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jun 28, 2011 -> 04:02 PM)

That's precisely what it is. Adam Dunn is not the first ball player in history to get booed. Look at how Boston was treating David Ortiz as recently as '09. Now he's tearing the cover off the ball and all is well. Players that are sub-standard are going to get booed.

Well, I suppose Jason Bay might be a worse contract for a hitter who was at a similar level to Dunn (consistent 30+ homers) and just fell completely off the map.

Would anyone trade Dunn for Bay? I don't think many. Bay at least plays a position, and Viciedo/Quentin could DH, too.

DENVER — Struggling designated hitter Adam Dunn played golf with White Sox sports psychologist Jeff Fishbein on a recent day off.

“He’s actually real good, so that added more stress to my life, golfing with him,” Dunn said Tuesday.

Good to know he has a good short game, but can he fix Dunn’s swing? Is he a good shrink?

“I talked to him a little bit,” Dunn said. “It works for different people. I don’t know if it works for me, but you know, I have talked with him, and I even golfed with him. I like him. [but] I don’t know what’s a good [sports psychologist]. It’s my first run-in with one.”

Dunn struck out four times against the Washington Nationals on Sunday, raising his AL-leading total to 100. He’s 2-for-26 with 16 strikeouts in his last seven games.

“I just need to go back to basics and quit thinking,” Dunn said. “It’s not me. I’m not a thinker. I have to see it, hit the damn thing and not make it so complicated.”

With no DH in Colorado, manager Ozzie Guillen gave Dunn the night off. He probably will play in the last game of the Sox’ series at Colorado, replacing whomever Guillen believes needs a day off most among left fielder Juan Pierre, right fielder Carlos Quentin and first baseman Paul Konerko, Guillen said.

“I’m not giving up, I promise you,” Dunn said. ‘‘There’s still a lot of baseball left. We put ourselves in position where guys who have been struggling have to step it up.”

Space oddity

Guillen doesn’t believe in playing his outfielders deep at spacious Coors Field.

“Coming here, I think it was a mistake people made when they play deep,” Guillen said. “They make a big hole between the infield and the outfield. I think you should play normal. They played deep because the ball carries. Well, if the ball is over your head, it’s a home run. Make sure you catch the balls in front of you.”

So how does that explain the no double outfield in the late innings that resulted in Lillibridge's play? (my comment)

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/6231215-419...rinks-game.html

Article about why the Sox can't give up and bench Dunn by Morissey

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/6229378-419...staying-in.html

Sounds like he was reading the Sox message boards and gauging opinions what's wrong with Dunn.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 28, 2011 -> 02:04 PM)
Paul Konerko 2003

Holy s*** how could that be overlooked? I remember that. Konerko sucked big time. I think it happened right after he called out Frank Thomas about something.

That really puts things in perspective though. I hope Dunn gets it together real soon.

QUOTE (Chet Kincaid @ Jun 29, 2011 -> 09:55 AM)
Holy s*** how could that be overlooked? I remember that. Konerko sucked big time. I think it happened right after he called out Frank Thomas about something.

That really puts things in perspective though. I hope Dunn gets it together real soon.

Let's also remember one more time that Konerko was coming off a fracture in his foot and was playing with pain that whole season.