Sox fielding calls for Edwin Jackson

Baron

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Jul 17, 2011 -> 01:40 PM)
I hope they start fielding calls for Ramirez. Sell high before being stuck with another bad contract.

One of the best fielding, best hitting SS in all of baseball who is signed to a team friendly contract for another 4 years and has only gotten better each year he's been in the bigs, yeah we better dump on the first team that offers us a bag of balls.

Edited by bighurt4life

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (bighurt4life @ Jul 17, 2011 -> 07:34 PM)
One of the best fielding, best hitting SS in all of baseball who is signed to a team friendly contract for another 4 years and has only gotten better each year he's been in the bigs, yeah we better dump on the first team that offers us a bag of balls.

Hate to say it, but his contract is fair, not team friendly any more. Wouldn't deal him for anything of low value, but i'd wouldn't say no if someone offered me the right price for a quasi-all star.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 17, 2011 -> 12:59 PM)
You have the give credit to guys like Contreras and El Duque and Edwin for limiting their hits allowed if you're going to be on them all the time for walking guys. And while you hate to give guys free passes, last time I checked free passes are limited to one base and do not all a runner to advance from 1st to 3rd or score from 2nd.

Edwin has a WHIP of 1.42 this year. Mark had a 1.40 WHIP last year. And while Mark may pitch quick games and keep his defense a bit more on their toes, you'd never hear Hawk lament about the hits Mark gave up last year in a similar fashion as he'll complain about Edwin's walks.

Again, yes, it can be frustrating for a viewer, but you can't lose sight of the bigger picture.

Edwin has struggled for much of the second half with command issues, which has led to his overall struggles; but get him on track going into the postseason, and he's as dangerous as any pitcher we have. That is where giving up Dan Hudson might finally prove worth it.

What has Jackson ever done in post-season? The Sox have an enigmatic pitcher that will probably be employed elsewhere next year.

For every Hermanson, Jenks, Thornton and Humber Kenny pulls, there are stupid trades like those that should be factored in. The Hudson/Jackson swap really made no sense. In fact it was stupid in my view...lets trade a good pitcher who is cheap and under our control for the next few years for another good pitcher who will be somewhere else in 2012.

And as far as this grand hope for post-season success...we have no more evidence that one can count on Jackson in post-season than you can count on Hudson.

Watching Hudson and Gio Gonzalez work gems today was just painful.

I don't think this trade will ever been proven "worth it" in my view.

Honestly, I'm shocked Sale hasn't been shipped off for some over-rated, aging and/or inconsistent 'name'.

QUOTE (kwolf68 @ Jul 17, 2011 -> 08:21 PM)
What has Jackson ever done in post-season? The Sox have an enigmatic pitcher that will probably be employed elsewhere next year.

For every Hermanson, Jenks, Thornton and Humber Kenny pulls, there are stupid trades like those that should be factored in. The Hudson/Jackson swap really made no sense. In fact it was stupid in my view...lets trade a good pitcher who is cheap and under our control for the next few years for another good pitcher who will be somewhere else in 2012.

And as far as this grand hope for post-season success...we have no more evidence that one can count on Jackson in post-season than you can count on Hudson.

Watching Hudson and Gio Gonzalez work gems today was just painful.

I don't think this trade will ever been proven "worth it" in my view.

Honestly, I'm shocked Sale hasn't been shipped off for some over-rated, aging and/or inconsistent 'name'.

Don't take what I said out of context.

I didn't say "watch Edwinmania take over the world and prove Kenny was right all along."

I said Edwin's stuff will play better in the postseason, meaning when it's 52 and chilly and he's running 95 mph in on your hands, he could be a dangerous SP to ride...

And I said should that happen, the trade might have proven worth it.

Of course, I know many of you believe Hudson would have taken the same path with us as he has with Arizona. I don't.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 17, 2011 -> 09:35 PM)
Don't take what I said out of context.

I didn't say "watch Edwinmania take over the world and prove Kenny was right all along."

I said Edwin's stuff will play better in the postseason, meaning when it's 52 and chilly and he's running 95 mph in on your hands, he could be a dangerous SP to ride...

And I said should that happen, the trade might have proven worth it.

Of course, I know many of you believe Hudson would have taken the same path with us as he has with Arizona. I don't.

Then that is a decent indictment of our coaching staff.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 17, 2011 -> 08:51 PM)
Or a completely different situation entirely.

Tougher hitters, more pressure, etc.

I think it's important to note that Edwin Jackson has pitched as many games under pressure as Hudson has.

More to the point, though, I don't really understand how Edwin is going to mysteriously turn into a dominant pitcher just because it's the postseason. If he gets hot at the right time, sure, he could carry this pitching staff, but I believe you can say that about just about any of our starters right now. I mean, as noted above, we don't even know if he responds well to pressure or not yet, so it seems a little early to say just having him pitch in the postseason is going to be worth Hudson let alone both him and Holmberg.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 17, 2011 -> 08:52 PM)
But can't you also argue the Mets, Twins, Royals and A's have bad coaching staffs because they didn't see anything in Humber?

Or somehow we had a vision for Santos' future as a reliever/pitcher that they didn't conceive of?

We did actually.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 17, 2011 -> 09:51 PM)
Or a completely different situation entirely.

Tougher hitters, more pressure, etc.

The DBacks are 7 games over and 3.5 games behind the Giants. Tougher hitters in teh AL I'll grant. More pennant-race pressure? No.

But wouldn't you agree that playing in Chicago, Philly, Boston or NY is just a totally different animal?

In terms of pressure, the media especially, expectations...the West Coast/AZ has always been perceived as more laid-back. A lot of the Eastern media doesn't even pay attention to what's going on out there after their bedtime.

Soriano certainly thought that it was tougher to play in Chicago than even for the Yankees.

Remember Conteras, how Cashman gave up on him simply because he was failing in head-to-head match-ups against the Red Sox? There's just nothing close to that anywhere else.