Sox @ Indians 7/22/11 Gamethread

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Jul 22, 2011 -> 08:30 PM)
Teahen has made a dramatic improvement at third this year. I'd call him almost adequate.

Give it time. They used to say the same thing about Jorge Orta at 2nd. Year after year after year. Teahen is just saving some really bad plays until when it will hurt the Sox the most.

Edited by Dick Allen

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jul 22, 2011 -> 09:26 PM)
Yes, I'm being serious. Baiting? If I wanted to do that I don't need Mark Teahen. He's an awful baseball player. I can't stand him.

Teahen was viewed as a serious moneyball style prospect coming up through the Royals system, just like the guys you adore so much now. He got here and took a bit of time struggling, but then killed the ball for a > .900 ops for the second half of 06. After that though the Royals started moving him around and never gave him a consistent position, and his offense suffered.

The sox thought that if they moved him back where he was comfortable and put him at 3b everyday, then both his defense and his offensive talent would show back up. When we traded for him he was 1 year from FA so if he did put up that .900 ops again he'd be really expensive, so the extension would have looked like a bargain.

Note; this was not thinking I agreed with at the time.

This is also why you dont write prospects in as allstars.

QUOTE (beckham15 @ Jul 22, 2011 -> 08:31 PM)
look i'm just venting, i want SOMETHING to be done to spark an interest in this team again....even when we've been bad before i've always put up with it but lately i've been like yeah it's not even worth watching....

How about a change that might actually do something? Whether you believe it or not, firing Walker isn't going to suddenly make everyone start hitting.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 22, 2011 -> 08:32 PM)
Teahen was viewed as a serious moneyball style prospect coming up through the Royals system, just like the guys you adore so much now. He got here and took a bit of time struggling, but then killed the ball for a > .900 ops for the second half of 06. After that though the Royals started moving him around and never gave him a consistent position, and his offense suffered.

The sox thought that if they moved him back where he was comfortable and put him at 3G everyday, then both his defense and his offensive talent would show back up. When we traded for him he was 1 year from FA sonic he did put up that .900 ops again he'd be really expensive, so the extension would have looked like a bargain.

Note; this was not thinking I agreed with at the time.

This is also why you dont write prospects in as allstars.

So that justifies the extension? It's not the trade itself for me. Fields and Getz are both replacement level players. The extension is what boggles the human mind.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jul 22, 2011 -> 08:34 PM)
So that justifies the extension? It's not the trade itself for me. Fields and Getz are both replacement level players. The extension is what boggles the human mind.

Hawk had been a Teahen guy for years thinking he would develop big power, then the year before KW got him, even the Hawkeroo soured on Teahen.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jul 22, 2011 -> 09:34 PM)

Again, I didn't like it, but if he did put up a .900 ops in 2009 he'd have walked right into free agency. KW was expecting he traded for a guy that would be worth $13 million; so locking him up for 3 years would have been smart. The problem was that Teahen wasn't the player kenny thought.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 22, 2011 -> 08:33 PM)
How about a change that might actually do something? Whether you believe it or not, firing Walker isn't going to suddenly make everyone start hitting.

never said it would but it would be a start.... you cant just keep giving the guy free passes year after year because "his job doesnt matter" look at detroit they fired their pitching coach because they didnt think he was getting the job done but nope everyone is safe with this team and im tired of the bulls*** no accountability with this team its frusterating and time to get some fresh blood in there

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 22, 2011 -> 08:37 PM)
Again, I didn't like it, but if he did put up a .900 ops in 2009 he'd have walked right into free agency. KW was expecting he traded for a guy that would be worth $13 million; so locking him up for 3 years would have been smart. The problem was that Teahen wasn't the player kenny thought.

KW has been wrong quite a bit of late. I can't with a clear conscious get on him for the Dunn signing. That's all Adam. But KW has been bad the last three years. No other way to put it.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jul 22, 2011 -> 09:40 PM)
KW has been wrong quite a bit of late. I can't with a clear conscious get on him for the Dunn signing. That's all Adam. But KW has been bad the last three years. No other way to put it.

"The gambler's ruin"