Tigers @ Sox 7/26/11 Gamethread

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 26, 2011 -> 09:30 PM)
Yep, if only we had another starter in our organization besides Buerhle, Jackson, Danks and Floyd that can give you a real good 5 innings but might struggle later in games.

Just let Humber pitch 6 and let Peavy finish his games.

• Replies 566
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 26, 2011 -> 10:29 PM)
Holy s***, did he really say that? He's the same idiot that would probably let a 16 game winner with a 6 ERA start game 1 in the postseason over a 10 game winner with a 2 ERA.

Yes, he absolutely did. A reporter asked him about Peavy hitting 75 pitches and then breaking down, and that was his response. He also said "I don't know how many pitches he had tonight, but he had trouble in the sixth." Unreal. I don't understand how someone could be so incompetent and ignorant.

QUOTE (mmmmmbeeer @ Jul 26, 2011 -> 11:27 PM)
Please, go ahead and point me to a win that was due to Ozzie's great managing skillz.....I'll probably be waiting a while.

Had Ozzie known his personnel and pulled Peavy after 5, Thornton wouldn't have been in the position to blow the game.

I think 99.5% of the games are on the players. You don't what would have happened if Peavy was pulled. Maybe Humber comes in and gets torched too. I'm sure Peavy told them he was fine to go. I would think most manager's are going give a former Cy Young winner the benefit of the doubt and let him get back out there. I'll agree he probably should have had someone warming but there's still no way to tell what would have happened.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 26, 2011 -> 10:30 PM)
Yep, if only we had another starter in our organization besides Buerhle, Jackson, Danks and Floyd that can give you a real good 5 innings but might struggle later in games.

6 of 1 half a dozen of another. You bring in Humber in the 6th inning of this game and see where it goes. Real f***ing simple for anyone named named ozzie guillen. Off day thursday allows you to get back on a rotation or skip Peavy's next start and go with Humber which they should do anyway.

Cooper and guillen are both looking bad in this situation

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Jul 26, 2011 -> 09:35 PM)
then there should be an all out firesale as this season is toast with peavy and humber unable to go more than 5 innings

really?

really?

humber has been our best starter by far. if there's one person who can escape criticism - it should be him

The sox can't white flag this from a financial perspective they need to remain in playoff contention so they can retain season ticket holders with the potential for playoff tickets, if they fall out of contention I would guess they will lose a huge amount of ST holders and the payroll will need to be slashed DRAMATICALLY (meaning we won't compete again while we have Dunn, PK, Rios, Peavy contracts).

Surgical trades that makes sense and selling strenghts to cover weaknesses makes sense but a fire sale I don't see happening as Reinsdorf might as well sell the team and retire if he wants to see them win again in his lifetime. I see some tinkering with the knowledge that the division is going to be winnable every year (especially with some of the contracts/injuries the twins have had).

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Jul 27, 2011 -> 04:46 AM)
not a criticism just that there is a very good likelihood that he will tire and wear down

Yeah, he was merely pointing out it is looking like Philip may not be much more than a 5-6 inning guy the rest of the way.

Hopefully he'll regain a second wind.

Is this reliever we are getting any good? At least we don't have to see Teahen any more.