Postseason Invoice

dyuen

QUOTE (docsox24 @ Aug 10, 2011 -> 04:22 PM)
Just got an email that the postseason invoices are being mailed out. This latest tease is going to cost season ticket holders a lot of money!!

Wait.. they don't refund money if the team misses the playoffs?

That is a standard policiy across MLB. Or at least I believe it is. It worked the same way with the Angels. That is why if I didn't believe the team was going to make the playoffs, I'd take my chances and opt out of post-season tickets.

If you do opt in and the team doesn't make it, your only option if you want to keep your season seats and seniority is to apply the amount to next seasons tickets.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Aug 10, 2011 -> 05:47 PM)
That is a standard policiy across MLB. Or at least I believe it is. It worked the same way with the Angels. That is why if I didn't believe the team was going to make the playoffs, I'd take my chances and opt out of post-season tickets.

If you do opt in and the team doesn't make it, your only option if you want to keep your season seats and seniority is to apply the amount to next seasons tickets.

Yeah, this is a pretty universal policy across baseball and sports in general.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 10, 2011 -> 07:23 PM)
Yeah, this is a pretty universal policy across baseball and sports in general.

It is definitely not the case for the NFL, or at the very least, the Packers.

They do a lottery for playoff tickets, from both the season ticket bases. You either take them, pay the price (and get refunded immediately if they get knocked out) or you pass and they draw a new name.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 10, 2011 -> 11:18 PM)
Anybody who orders postseason tickets is a moron.

That is a crime you lose your seniority if you don't order them for this s*** team.

Wow.

Welcome to the world of professional sports. This kind of stuff happens with every pro team in every league.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 10, 2011 -> 08:16 PM)
They do have an option this year they didn't in the past. You don't have to buy the World Series tickets until they clinch a playoff berth.

That's good to know, I'll take that option.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 10, 2011 -> 11:18 PM)
Anybody who orders postseason tickets is a moron.

That is a crime you lose your seniority if you don't order them for this s*** team.

Wow.

Apparently, I'm a moron.

I've been a season ticket holder since 2004, and I don't plan to give that up because of this season. And since we've moved into a primo location for our section, and I don't want to lose it, I'll be renewing, which means paying the postseason invoice.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Aug 11, 2011 -> 07:29 AM)
That's good to know, I'll take that option.

Apparently, I'm a moron.

I've been a season ticket holder since 2004, and I don't plan to give that up because of this season. And since we've moved into a primo location for our section, and I don't want to lose it, I'll be renewing, which means paying the postseason invoice.

Moron. ;)

And as far as other organizations go, the Bears required season ticket holders to pay for their seats months and months ago, despite no evidence that there would even be a season this year. I'm sure it was going towards operating expenses while the players were locked out.

And Greg, you remind me of the guy in the Geico commercial that's been living under a rock.

Edited by iamshack

QUOTE (iamshack @ Aug 11, 2011 -> 08:35 AM)
Moron. ;)

And as far as other organizations go, the Bears required season ticket holders to pay for their seats months and months ago, despite no evidence that there would even be a season this year. I'm sure it was going towards operating expenses while the players were locked out.

And Greg, you remind me of the guy in the Geico commercial that's been living under a rock.

And interest income. I'm sure they throw a lot of that money in an interest-bearing account immediately. I know rates suck nowadays, but that's still money coming in.

Seems like they are sending these out earlier than in years past. I wonder if MLB determines the timing and how close you need to be to be in contention or if each team determines this on their own. Regardless there should be a rule that if you are under .500 they don't send you the playoff invoice!

I would guess they lose at least 25% of ST holders this year.

QUOTE (chiguy79 @ Aug 11, 2011 -> 09:47 AM)
Seems like they are sending these out earlier than in years past. I wonder if MLB determines the timing and how close you need to be to be in contention or if each team determines this on their own. Regardless there should be a rule that if you are under .500 they don't send you the playoff invoice!

I would guess they lose at least 25% of ST holders this year.

If they don't make the playoffs, which is likely, they will probably lose even more than that after a very disappointing season and a crappy economy.

If they make it, I'd bet they hold steady. If they make it and go somewhere in the post-season, which seems incredibly unlikely, they could actually boost their numbers.