White Sox Manager Search Thread

HuskyCaucasian

• Replies 566
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (bucket-of-suck @ Sep 30, 2011 -> 04:32 PM)
You can't have the biggest Sept fail in MLB history and not have fallout.

Exactly. Can u imagine if that happened here under Ozzie??

People on this board would be LIVID.

I think his two WS titles proves he is the man for the White Sox job, though.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Sep 30, 2011 -> 01:54 PM)
Our Sox weren't choking, they were just getting caught by a white hot Indians team.

There was some choking involved. Yes, the Indians were insane that month, but the Sox almost lost too many games.

QUOTE (LVSoxFan @ Sep 30, 2011 -> 01:45 PM)
Although is anybody else noticing how KW is escaping all blame for this in the media?

I mean, in Beantown right now it's pretty much a given that Tito AND Epstein are on the way out.

If nothing else, he did offer to resign, and was correct to do so. The owner has decided to retain him.

Whatever that means in reality, my interpretation is that the owner himself had a lot of say in the signing decisions last year, because really, those busts were definitely fireable offenses.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 30, 2011 -> 02:18 PM)
Whatever that means in reality, my interpretation is that the owner himself had a lot of say in the signing decisions last year, because really, those busts were definitely fireable offenses.

I get tired of the myth that Kenny has such little say in this organization.

The 2011 White Sox were characterized by an extraordinary amount of underachievement. Tony LaRussa, like him or not, is but a handful of wins away from being the second winningest manager in the history of the game. That means he has overseen a whole lot of achieving throughout his managerial career.

Now how much of that achieving can be directly attributed to him and his managerial style can obviously be debated, but his record of players coming through for him stands on its own. And I can't help but wonder, what with our more noteable underachievers seemingly tethered to this team for the next few years, if it makes more sense to bring in a guy like LaRussa with his record of achievement to try our best to get something out of these guys. Or are we really comfortable just handing this mess over to someone with no managerial experience whatsoever and hoping for the best.

This is not meant to be a slam on Alomar or Martinez, who both profile as effective future managers in this game. I'm just coming at this with what might be best for our particular roster of players. (And as for LaRussa purportedly being an ass, I could care less. I wouldn't have to deal with him!)