LET'S MAKE A LIST OCTOBER '11 - FAVORITE SPORTS MOVIES

knightni

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Oct 28, 2011 -> 06:41 PM)
Because it takes 500x the skill to golf well compared to bowling well?

I don't think that's true at all.

Each has a specific set of skills that are required to master the sport. Sure any joe blow can pick up a bowling ball and heft it down the lane or smack a golf ball down a fairway but at the professional level either one takes a lot of practice to really be good at it.

I know the pros on TV make it look really easy but to maintain the averages/handicaps they do it requires a ton of skill.

I've been bowling for about 25 years and usually maintain right around a 200 avg give or take 5 pins or so. The pros usually maintain 220+. Plus they bowl on much more difficult oil patterns.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Oct 30, 2011 -> 05:08 PM)
I've mentioned it before, but I don't find Caddyshack funny at all. I believe that it was hysterical in its day, but don't think it's held up over time. I'm sure many still find it funny, but I'd wager that is because they saw it when it was newer and they sort of can relive it. Seeing it for the first time decades later, I can seriously watch it straight through without laughing.

I put it #1, but I really can't argue. I was a 16 year-old caddie when it came out. For me, it is virtually biographical (minus Lacey and the explosions).

QUOTE (Iwritecode @ Oct 31, 2011 -> 09:50 AM)
I don't think that's true at all.

Each has a specific set of skills that are required to master the sport. Sure any joe blow can pick up a bowling ball and heft it down the lane or smack a golf ball down a fairway but at the professional level either one takes a lot of practice to really be good at it.

I know the pros on TV make it look really easy but to maintain the averages/handicaps they do it requires a ton of skill.

I've been bowling for about 25 years and usually maintain right around a 200 avg give or take 5 pins or so. The pros usually maintain 220+. Plus they bowl on much more difficult oil patterns.

Can you explain this? I don't even know what you mean by oil patterns.

QUOTE (PlaySumFnJurny @ Oct 31, 2011 -> 09:50 AM)
I put it #1, but I really can't argue. I was a 16 year-old caddie when it came out. For me, it is virtually biographical (minus Lacey and the explosions).

Dancing gophers? You also strike me as much younger.

Edited by Milkman delivers

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Oct 31, 2011 -> 11:38 AM)
Very surprised to see Rudy and Hoosiers both outside the Top 5.

Wow, me too. And the same goes for Slap Shot. I'm trying to figure out what the top ones will be. Major League has to be up there. Even though Rookie Of The Year is about the Cubs, anybody around my age has to have it on their lists.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Oct 31, 2011 -> 11:47 AM)
Wow, me too. And the same goes for Slap Shot. I'm trying to figure out what the top ones will be. Major League has to be up there. Even though Rookie Of The Year is about the Cubs, anybody around my age has to have it on their lists.

Field of Dreams has got to close to the top.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Oct 31, 2011 -> 01:08 PM)
Oh yeah, Sandlot is probably on there. I think Remember The Titans was already up there. I don't feel like sifting through it :D

I just flipped through and didn't see it anywhere. I have to think it didn't miss the list entirely.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Oct 31, 2011 -> 05:40 PM)
Sandlot and Remember the Titans, nice. These two movies I'm pretty sure I have seen more than any others.

Same here. #2 & #3 on my list. They are on TV so much too, especially Remember the Titans. The soundtrack puts that movie over the top IMO.

Here's my list as emailed to Knight:

1.) Rudy (pains me to say it, as I hate Notre Dame)

2.) 61*

3.) The Pride Of The Yankees

4.) A League Of Their Own

5.) Rocky IV

6.) The Wrestler

7.) Kingpin

8.) BASEketball

9.) Slap Shot

10.) The Waterboy

11.) Talladega Nights: The Ballad Of Ricky Bobby

12.) Field Of Dreams

13.) Rookie Of The Year

14.) Major League

15.) Eight Men Out

16.) The Sandlot

17.) Cinderella Man

18.) Little Giants

19.) Brian's Song

20.) Hoosiers

21.) The Hustler

22.) Miracle

23.) Raging Bull

24.) Cobb

25.) Remember The Titans

If any of my top 25 are, for some reason, not considered sports movies, use these in order to replace any:

The Babe

Cool Runnings

Bang The Drum Slowly

Seabiscuit

The Natural