Penn State horror story

I honestly dont give a s*** about Paterno being involved, the guy is dead. The more important players here are the trustees and the administrators who swept this under the rug because of football and finances.

Given his estate's massive net worth, the victims most definitely give a s*** about Paterno being involved.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Joe Paterno doesnt have more money than PSU, so the deeper pocket is still PSU.

Furthermore, Paterno is dead, so all of those assets are no longer his. They are either with a beneficiary or in a trust for the benefit of a beneficiary.

Regardless, suing Paterno would be nonsensical, unless you are going to make a claim against his estate, which you dont need to see the will to do.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jun 14, 2012 -> 12:23 PM)
I think it may even go higher than PSU. Some things Ive read suggest that 2nd Mile has some really powerful people involved.

Here's the honorary board of directors list as it stood at the time this broke, some of the people immediately contacted and tried to have their names removed.. I'm sure this appeared somewhere in this thread before, but hey, why not.

Board of Directors: Honorary Board

John R. Cappelletti - Retired PSU & NFL Football Player, Heisman Trophy Winner

R. R. M. Carpenter, III - Former Owner, Philadelphia Phillies

James E. Ford - Retired Vice President, Kmart

William A. Gettig - President, Gettig Technologies, Inc.

Jack Ham - Retired NFL Player, Pittsburgh Steelers, Hall of Fame

Franco Harris - Retired NFL Player, Pittsburgh Steelers, Hall of Fame

Lou Holtz - Retired Football Coach, Sportscaster, and Motivational Speaker

Dr. Bryce Jordan - Retired, Penn State University President

Willi Maier - President, Omni Plastics, Inc.

Matt Millen - ESPN Football Analyst

Arnold D. Palmer - President, Arnold Palmer Enterprises

Joseph V. Paterno - Head Football Coach, Penn State University

Andy Reid - Head Football Coach, Philadelphia Eagles

Dr. John Reidell - General Surgeon, Past Second Mile Board President

Cal Ripken, Jr. - Former ML Baseball Shortstop, President & CEO of Ripken Baseball, Inc.

Dominic Toscani - Owner & President, Paris Business Forms

Richard Vermeil - Retired NFL Head Coach, (Kansas City Chiefs, St. Louis Rams, Philadelphia Eagles)

Mark Wahlberg - Actor, Rapper, and Film & TV Producer

Verne Willaman - Retired Chairman and President, Ortho Pharmaceutical Corp.

Quentin Wood - Retired Chairman and CEO, Quaker State Oil Refining Corp.

Richard A. Zimmerman - Retired Chairman of the Board, Hershey Foods

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jun 14, 2012 -> 11:08 AM)
Not only is it unfounded, your accusation doesnt even make sense.

How would a will tell you where Paterno got his money from? All the will says is where he wants his money and belongings to go. Its not an accounting, it doesnt show how he earned the money.

Completely unfounded, perhaps he gave money to some of the victims due to the massive amount of guilt he felt. Who knows?

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jun 14, 2012 -> 12:39 PM)
Completely unfounded, perhaps he gave money to some of the victims due to the massive amount of guilt he felt. Who knows?

And if he did that the victim could come forward and tell people they got money.

As I said, its completely unfounded. Famous people seal their wills all the time, they dont want the public going and making copies and doing strange stuff with it.

I know I would seal my will if I could, why would I ever want random people being able to look into my business after I die?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 14, 2012 -> 12:20 PM)
Here's the honorary board of directors list as it stood at the time this broke, some of the people immediately contacted and tried to have their names removed.. I'm sure this appeared somewhere in this thread before, but hey, why not.

Wow.

Also...since this is a state university, can the state be held responsible? Meaning, could the victims sue the state of Penn.?

QUOTE (CanOfCorn @ Jun 14, 2012 -> 02:31 PM)
Wow.

Also...since this is a state university, can the state be held responsible? Meaning, could the victims sue the state of Penn.?

It's actually some sort of quasi-state university.

QUOTE (CanOfCorn @ Jun 14, 2012 -> 03:31 PM)
Wow.

I'm pretty sure the liability would stop at the top of Penn State unless there was some active involvement in the coverup by a state official.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jun 14, 2012 -> 02:41 PM)
Yeah, its pretty much a private school as it isnt subject to records laws.

Though if there is reason to suspect university officials in official capacities took place in a crime, a lot those protections go right out the window.

It really doesnt matter.

Penn State has money and makes money. It has thousands of students paying money every semester, its not very difficult to freeze a PSU bank account and get a turnover order.

Why even worry about the state, it just would result in unnecessary litigation.

Edited by Soxbadger

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jun 14, 2012 -> 02:52 PM)
It really doesnt matter.

Penn State has money and makes money. It has thousands of students paying money every semester, its not very difficult to freeze a PSU bank account and get a turnover order.

Why even worry about the state, it just would result in unnecessary litigation.

Just curious if the victims sued PSU, they were also suing the state. Or if PSU and the State University system in Penn was a separate entity.

QUOTE (CanOfCorn @ Jun 15, 2012 -> 11:03 AM)
Just curious if the victims sued PSU, they were also suing the state. Or if PSU and the State University system in Penn was a separate entity.

I think the best answer is, yes, they will also be suing the state. Whether the victims will be able to recover against the state is more complicated. I imagine there will be a fight between PSU and PA to determine where any recovery will come from. I imagine, in the end, PSU will be paying out of their endowment.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jun 19, 2012 -> 02:09 PM)
A lot of places are saying Sandusky will testify.

I want your honest assessment with what you have observed, do you think he is going to be cleared?

I have a very icky feeling in my stomach that he will be.

Without being there it is very very difficult to tell. The entire case is credibility, without actually seeing the testimony, its hard to tell if the jurors think any of the victims lied.

If I had to bet, I would say that it is very unlikely that Sandusky is acquitted of all charges. There are 52 of them, I cant really find exactly what all 52 are, but my guess is some of them are very broad/vague, where it would really take a disconnect for the jury to find him not guilty.

But when it comes to celebrity cases and juries, you just really never know. If Sandusky was really respected in the PSU community, the jury very well could make a strange decision. But I believe Sandusky will be convicted of something.

Today the defense did better, they got in evidence that the police may have been coaching victims. Its pretty damaging because it allows the defense to argue that if it happened to 1 victim, its likely that all victims were coached, etc. They really havent put in any evidence why there might have been a conspiracy against Sandusky, that probably was a mistake.