Penn State horror story

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jun 13, 2012 -> 12:11 PM)
For this trial its irrelevant.

From the beginning I thought McQueary was not being 100% forthright about the situation. This may be an issue if none of the victims stepped forward, but when youve got X witnesses who are all going to say Sandusky messed with them, its really going to be hard for a jury to believe that they were all lying, especially with the strange hand written messages from Sandsuky.

Plus its unlikely Sandusky takes the stand, so there really is going to be little defense. Mainly just that these kids are making it up and it didnt happen.

I know it is unlikely, but havent Sandusky and Amendola maintained that he is going to take the stand?

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jun 13, 2012 -> 02:31 PM)
I know it is unlikely, but havent Sandusky and Amendola maintained that he is going to take the stand?

I know it's obviously a long shot, but when you're in a case facing a dozen accusers or so, don't you almost have to put him on the stand just as the hail mary to see if somehow he can come off as more credible than them? Unless somehow the defense dismantles most of the other witnesses, which so far they haven't done.

You always say that the defendant will testify, its to try and intimidate the witnesses. If they think their testimony will go without rebuttal they dont have to worry at all, if there is a chance Sandusky testifies, they have to be more careful with what they say.

That being said, there is absolutely no way I put Sandusky on the stand. I just argue that these kids are all troubled and liars and that there motivation was fame/notoriety, whatever.

Sandusky being cross examined would be the end.

"So you put your head between his legs, right?"

"So you were naked in the shower with him, right?"

If he says no, he comes off as a liar, if he says yes, he just convicted himself. What can you really do? Unless hes going to go up there and just deny everything, if thats the case, might as well do it. But I cant imagine hell just flat out perjure everything.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jun 13, 2012 -> 08:37 PM)
If he says no, he comes off as a liar, if he says yes, he just convicted himself. What can you really do? Unless hes going to go up there and just deny everything, if thats the case, might as well do it. But I cant imagine hell just flat out perjure everything.

Plus the guy just sucks at talking about this.

"You know, I enjoy young people"

QUOTE (CrimsonWeltall @ Jun 14, 2012 -> 09:57 AM)
Plus the guy just sucks at talking about this.

"You know, I enjoy young people"

The prosecution played his interview with Costas (I believe) and they intentionally made it skip and play twice for the questioning where he doesnt deny he had physical contact with the boys. He's toast.

The revelations that have been coming out about the PSU cover-up should be the main story here. The administration knew about it in 2001 and decided it was humane for him to not tell the police. Thats f***ing crazy.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jun 14, 2012 -> 10:19 AM)
The prosecution played his interview with Costas (I believe) and they intentionally made it skip and play twice for the questioning where he doesnt deny he had physical contact with the boys. He's toast.

The revelations that have been coming out about the PSU cover-up should be the main story here. The administration knew about it in 2001 and decided it was humane for him to not tell the police. Thats f***ing crazy.

It is also going to open up the University to massive lawsuits. They'll get theirs.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jun 14, 2012 -> 10:24 AM)
Bernstein was talking just the other day about a new PSU Boardmember that was advocating rehiring Schultz and Curley after this is through

LOL, good luck with that. Some of those guys are going to spend some jail time. They have an entire secret file on Sandusky's perversion and the damn university police dept was ordered to omit almost 100 pages of a police report on it. This is going to go real deep.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jun 13, 2012 -> 12:11 PM)
For this trial its irrelevant.

From the beginning I thought McQueary was not being 100% forthright about the situation. This may be an issue if none of the victims stepped forward, but when youve got X witnesses who are all going to say Sandusky messed with them, its really going to be hard for a jury to believe that they were all lying, especially with the strange hand written messages from Sandsuky.

Plus its unlikely Sandusky takes the stand, so there really is going to be little defense. Mainly just that these kids are making it up and it didnt happen.

For whatever reason, I have disliked and never trusted McQueary from the start. I felt he deserved a bigger share of the blame for the entire situation.

Bernstein: Penn State’s Crimes Beyond Sandusky June 13, 2012 10:34 AM

By Dan Bernstein

CBSChicago.com Senior Columnist

(CBS) An attention-grabbing trial filled with grim, hideous details, sobbing witnesses and crackling verbal exchanges can provide good cover.

Let eyes and ears be turned elsewhere, hanging on every word of the Jerry Sandusky child-rape testimony, poring through transcripts and digesting legal analysis, some are thinking. Perhaps fewer will be likely to note what else is going on involving Penn State officials and the estate of its dead football coach.

As the proceedings convened Monday morning, NBC News reported that the university had found new evidence of just how much was known about Sandusky being seen raping a boy in the football-office shower in 2001, and how carefully and deliberately it was covered up by school officials. Emails between then-president Graham Spanier and VP Gary Schultz discussed that it would be “humane” to shield Sandusky from authorities, after the school did legal research on what crimes may have been committed.

Schultz and former athletic director Tim Curley are each facing trial for perjury, on charges of lying to the grand jury last November. Now Spanier may also be charged.

NBC was told that the emails were “recently discovered” as part of the school’s internal investigation. Curious, then, that news of the discovery coincided with reporters and cameras clustered down the road in buzzing Bellefonte.

Later in the day, more supposedly-new information came to light. The state attorney general’s office announced that it had obtained the secret file Schultz had kept on Sandusky containing documents that directly contradict his sworn testimony, months after subpoenas had been issued for such things. It all just happened to turn up.

Also coincidental with the start of the trial was the quiet news Sunday that Joe Paterno’s will had been ordered permanently sealed from public view by a still-unidentified judge. The Wilkes-Barre Citizen’s Voice reported that a family attorney made the request in April when the will entered probate, and the judge obliged. There are five judges in the county, and calls from the Associated Press to the president judge overseeing the county court system were not returned.

Paterno had spent years cultivating an image as a middle-class everyman, all while lining his pockets with millions of dollars via side-businesses, many intertwined with officials at the Second Mile – the charity set up by Sandusky for the purpose of farming sex-abuse victims.

Indeed, as detailed in December in this must-read investigation by The Daily, Paterno and three partners had just secured financing to build a $125 million luxury retirement community on Penn State property when assistant coach Mike McQueary alerted Paterno to Sandusky.

One of the investors was Robert Poole, board chairman of the Second Mile.

Because of the location, a nonprofit was created to act as owner and operator, according to the report. The president was former Second Mile board member Peter Weiler, and the treasurer was Gary Schultz. The initial idea for the project came from none other than Graham Spanier.

Per the story, “Paterno also was partners with this team on developing a golf resort and nearby restaurant and inn. He has also partnered with other current and former Second Mile board members on a bottled water company, a coaching website and a chain of convenience stores.”

While the real estate project fizzled – despite the approval of $56 million in public bond financing – the water business, Aqua Penn, was sold to a French company in 1998 for $112 million.

That’s why the will is sealed, and this is only what we know about. Paterno had decades to build vast wealth, thanks to businesses created with the help of those tending Sandusky’s playground. (A diagram showing some of the complex relationships between Paterno, the Second Mile and school officials can be seen here.)

Even after Paterno, Spanier, Schultz, Curley, the Second Mile board and others had an eyewitness account of Sandusky raping a child, too much was invested to allow him to bring it all down.

Too much invested in the football program’s vast control over a state, too much invested in the spider-web of connected businesses bringing in dollars.

We also learned yesterday that the state trooper investigating Victim 1 thought there was enough evidence to charge Sandusky with assault. The attorney general at the time, Tom Corbett, disagreed. He instead assigned a lone policeman to work on the investigation for 18 months, while Corbett ran for governor. After he was elected, more were put on the case and more accusers were found.

Too much invested.

Money, power, control. A sprawling system from the grass of the gridiron to the governor’s mansion, all endangered by a lone predator who was beatified because of a football team. Too big to fail, even when it was clear that more children would be endangered, more lives ruined.

That’s why Penn State University chose to be “humane.”

http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2012/06/13/bernstein-p enn-states-crimes-beyond-sandusky/

Famous people get invited into deals all the time to add credibility, contacts, or whatever. I am trying to think of what may be in there that would prove that Paterno knew more about the abuse than has been confirmed. Payments to the abused was one idea I had, but they would let the media know. So that probably isn't it.

The Paterno will stuff is nonsense.

Yes its rare, but not when they are a celebrity and they dont want the public to be able to pull their will and find out who they gave their money too.

Or they have a will that merely says, everything to my trust and the trust isnt a public record.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jun 14, 2012 -> 10:49 AM)

Yes its rare, but not when they are a celebrity and they dont want the public to be able to pull their will and find out who they gave their money too.

Or they have a will that merely says, everything to my trust and the trust isnt a public record.

Or find out how much money they earned from a charity that was handing off little boys to a child molester.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jun 14, 2012 -> 11:00 AM)
Yep your completely unfounded accusation is much more likely than what happens every day in Court.

http://wills.about.com/b/2012/03/26/probat...ones-sealed.htm

Did Davey Jones want to hide money from 2nd Mile too?

No, he just didn't want the public to know where his locker was.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jun 14, 2012 -> 10:55 AM)
Or find out how much money they earned from a charity that was handing off little boys to a child molester.

Not only is it unfounded, your accusation doesnt even make sense.

How would a will tell you where Paterno got his money from? All the will says is where he wants his money and belongings to go. Its not an accounting, it doesnt show how he earned the money.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jun 14, 2012 -> 10:49 AM)

This I agree with and wanted to post a couple days ago. It's a real easy thing to attack, but the will doesn't have much information in it and the largest distributions would have avoided probate anyway.

And remember, Paterno was alive when the scandal broke. If anything was in the will that would have been detrimental, he would have changed it.

Testimony about Roy Gricar again...that is just such an odd part of the case. Car abandoned, never found him. Laptop found in the river 3 months later, without hard drive. Allegedly looked on another computer about how to destroy hard drive. Sounds fishy...

I really just want this case to be over. It's just so painful.

QUOTE (CanOfCorn @ Jun 14, 2012 -> 11:20 AM)
Testimony about Roy Gricar again...that is just such an odd part of the case. Car abandoned, never found him. Laptop found in the river 3 months later, without hard drive. Allegedly looked on another computer about how to destroy hard drive. Sounds fishy...

I really just want this case to be over. It's just so painful.

Lots of crazy stuff about that. Definitely looks like someone was trying to cover up something he was on to

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jun 14, 2012 -> 11:16 AM)
I honestly dont give a s*** about Paterno being involved, the guy is dead. The more important players here are the trustees and the administrators who swept this under the rug because of football and finances.

I think it may even go higher than PSU. Some things Ive read suggest that 2nd Mile has some really powerful people involved.