2012 Minor League Catch All thread

southsider2k5

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Apr 3, 2012 -> 12:37 PM)
Yeah, there's an article on whitesox.com that says that.

I could be wrong, but it looks like Charlotte will have the following rotation:

Dylan Axelrod

Terry Doyle

Charlie Leesman

Doug Davis

Deunte Heath

The only other guy that could be a possibility is Donnie Veal and I don't see that happening. Honestly, the only logical reason Castro is starting in AA is to gain some confidence at a pitcher-friendly park. There is simply not enough to block him from going to Charlotte fairly quickly.

Wonder what happened with Scott Olsen this spring? I didn't hear one word about him.

• Replies 750
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Apr 3, 2012 -> 12:37 PM)
Yeah, there's an article on whitesox.com that says that.

I could be wrong, but it looks like Charlotte will have the following rotation:

Dylan Axelrod

Terry Doyle

Charlie Leesman

Doug Davis

Deunte Heath

The only other guy that could be a possibility is Donnie Veal and I don't see that happening. Honestly, the only logical reason Castro is starting in AA is to gain some confidence at a pitcher-friendly park. There is simply not enough to block him from going to Charlotte fairly quickly.

And of that crowd... Axelrod is the only one I think has a legit shot to make it as a stater. Leesman, I would have said a year or two ago, but he just doesn't seem to have it anymore. Doyle maybe has a shot as a reliever. Davis and Heath are filler. Molina and Castro will likely be up pretty quick to AAA.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Apr 3, 2012 -> 01:08 PM)
And of that crowd... Axelrod is the only one I think has a legit shot to make it as a stater. Leesman, I would have said a year or two ago, but he just doesn't seem to have it anymore. Doyle maybe has a shot as a reliever. Davis and Heath are filler. Molina and Castro will likely be up pretty quick to AAA.

I still would have like Santiago and Stewart starting in AAA. If Infante hadn't gotten injured, he could be in Chicago instead of Stewart and...I dunno for Santiago.]

But a AAA rotation of Molina, Castro, Axelrod, Stewart, Santiago would have been really, really nice to watch.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Apr 3, 2012 -> 02:26 PM)
I still would have like Santiago and Stewart starting in AAA. If Infante hadn't gotten injured, he could be in Chicago instead of Stewart and...I dunno for Santiago.]

But a AAA rotation of Molina, Castro, Axelrod, Stewart, Santiago would have been really, really nice to watch.

I don't think Santiago is going to be a starter long-term, so I don't mind him being moved to the big league bullpen. He's throwing a screwball, so it's more of a "Tricky" pitch guys don't see a lot...if they have to go against him 3 times in a game, that pitch will lose some of its potency.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 3, 2012 -> 01:47 PM)
I don't think Santiago is going to be a starter long-term, so I don't mind him being moved to the big league bullpen. He's throwing a screwball, so it's more of a "Tricky" pitch guys don't see a lot...if they have to go against him 3 times in a game, that pitch will lose some of its potency.

I tend to agree. And Infante hasn't really looked that hot in the past year or so. There are guys who will be in the Charlotte pen this year that I'd prefer over him for a call-up.

QUOTE (flavum @ Apr 3, 2012 -> 01:06 PM)
Wonder what happened with Scott Olsen this spring? I didn't hear one word about him.

We'll see when more minor league cuts come, but he may have just been in minor league camp the whole time and didn't do anything to move off the AAA roster.

QUOTE (JPN366 @ Apr 3, 2012 -> 03:29 PM)
I could see the AAA rotation being Leesman, Veal, Axelrod, Doyle & Olsen.

I completely forgot about Olsen, so he should be in the rotation assuming he is still around. I didn't realize Davis was cut, for some reason I though they brought him back.

So I guess there's one spot available for Veal or Heath. I went with Heath simply because the Sox tried him as a starter last year for a little bit and they put him on the 40 man roster over a guy like Doyle. Who really knows though, there could be another minor league free agent in the mix that I'm not aware of.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Apr 3, 2012 -> 04:00 PM)
I completely forgot about Olsen, so he should be in the rotation assuming he is still around. I didn't realize Davis was cut, for some reason I though they brought him back.

So I guess there's one spot available for Veal or Heath. I went with Heath simply because the Sox tried him as a starter last year for a little bit and they put him on the 40 man roster over a guy like Doyle. Who really knows though, there could be another minor league free agent in the mix that I'm not aware of.

I think the only reason Heath was in the rotation was so he could work on pitches. He opened last year in Charlotte's bullpen if I remember correctly.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Apr 3, 2012 -> 06:19 PM)
No doubt, but I'm guessing they'd rather give him the innings than Veal.

Long term, Heath is a reliever. I don't think he ever started before last year, even when he was in the Braves organization. It all depends on what the White Sox want from Veal.

Is it just me, or is the minor league season starting earlier, relative to the major league season, than usual? I seem to recall last year it was like 1.5 weeks after major league Opening Day that the full season minor league squads started up. This year, they are starting at basically the same time.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Apr 4, 2012 -> 09:21 AM)
Is it just me, or is the minor league season starting earlier, relative to the major league season, than usual? I seem to recall last year it was like 1.5 weeks after major league Opening Day that the full season minor league squads started up. This year, they are starting at basically the same time.

Yes, I noticed that yesterday when I looked at the Charlotte schedule. MLB should have started a week ago. It shouldn't coincide with the Masters.

QUOTE (JPN366 @ Apr 3, 2012 -> 03:29 PM)
I could see the AAA rotation being Leesman, Veal, Axelrod, Doyle & Olsen.

Just occurred to me, there is another name that may be in the Charlotte rotation this year - Charlie Shirek. My personal view is that he's better off in the 'pen in Charlotte, as his numbers as a reliever have been much better than as a starter (plus his smallish build, mostly two-pitch repertoire and velocity also point to this). We'll see, when the Charlotte and B-Ham rosters are announced.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Apr 4, 2012 -> 09:21 AM)

I think it was about 4-5 days usually, not more than a week certainly.

What is the story with this Erik Morrison guy? He's been playing a lot in ST games lately for the Sox. 46th round pick of Texas in 2008, had very nice years up through 2009, was disappointing in 2010 at AA, then played in only 2 games in 2011. Was he injured? And when did the Sox even pick him up? He doesn't look like he'd be minor league FA eligible yet, so I assume he was released? Seems a little intriguing to me. Anyone know anything?

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Apr 4, 2012 -> 09:43 AM)
Just occurred to me, there is another name that may be in the Charlotte rotation this year - Charlie Shirek. My personal view is that he's better off in the 'pen in Charlotte, as his numbers as a reliever have been much better than as a starter (plus his smallish build, mostly two-pitch repertoire and velocity also point to this). We'll see, when the Charlotte and B-Ham rosters are announced.

Bingo! Shirek is the opening day starter for Charlotte tomorrow.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Apr 4, 2012 -> 03:09 PM)
What is the story with this Erik Morrison guy? He's been playing a lot in ST games lately for the Sox. 46th round pick of Texas in 2008, had very nice years up through 2009, was disappointing in 2010 at AA, then played in only 2 games in 2011. Was he injured? And when did the Sox even pick him up? He doesn't look like he'd be minor league FA eligible yet, so I assume he was released? Seems a little intriguing to me. Anyone know anything?

Texas released him, don't know much else. The White Sox signed him during the winter, can't remember when exactly. It's in the Baseball America minor league transactions somewhere. I expect him to be in B'ham.

Edited by JPN366

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Apr 5, 2012 -> 05:26 AM)
Do you know the rest of the rotation?

Leesman, Axelrod, Doyle, TBD (Olsen, Veal, Heath or Zaleski?)

Edited by JPN366