2012 Minor League Catch All thread

southsider2k5

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 30, 2012 -> 02:31 PM)
Charlotte Knights

Four more roster moves today, which include the promotions of Hector Gimnenez and Jose Lopez to Chicago. Knights get RHP Andre Rienzo and 1B Seth Loman from Birmingham (AA):

Rienzo to AAA too? Sheesh.

• Replies 750
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Aug 30, 2012 -> 04:01 PM)
Rienzo to AAA too? Sheesh.

A significant number of minor league pitchers for this team are already on the 40 man roster. Including:

Axelrod

Anthony Carter

Castro

Deunte Heath

Leesman

Jhan Marinez

Nestor Molina

Daniel Moskos

Brian Omogrosso

Leyson Septimo

Rienzo is ready to go right now and could take the next open spot in the rotation, possibly even covering for Axe if they had to move people around. They also just had a double-header.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Aug 31, 2012 -> 09:17 AM)
Not agreeing or disagreeing, but would love to know your reasoning for that.

Having seen him, I'd say it's effectiveness of secondary stuff. I wasn't completely sold on it...but then again, I saw him coming right off of the suspension, so it's not terribly shocking that his offspeed stuff didn't have crisp control.

In terms of the other big thing for a starter, maintaining velocity through 100+ pitches, even from a short outing I have good confidence in him doing that. He didn't throw quite as hard as Castro did a few days later, but both of them maintained velocity quite well.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Aug 31, 2012 -> 08:17 AM)
Not agreeing or disagreeing, but would love to know your reasoning for that.

He's got a good fastball that could play up in the bullpen and his secondary stuff isn't as good. Also, his lack of consistent control makes me think he wouldn't cut it as a starter anyway.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Aug 31, 2012 -> 01:07 PM)
He's got a good fastball that could play up in the bullpen and his secondary stuff isn't as good. Also, his lack of consistent control makes me think he wouldn't cut it as a starter anyway.

Interesting. Not sure I agree on the control part: his BB/9 was 5.1 in 2011, and it has been 3.7 in 2012. 4.1 in AA. Those 2012 numbers are really pretty decent, and he's improving his control even as he moves up. Hard to say a guy with a BB/9 under 4 on the year is having any major control issues.

As for his secondary stuff, I honestly don't know much other than quips here and there that his breaking balls are a bti slushy and inconsistent. Haven't seen much detail, or anything at all recently, about it. So I'll take your word for it. His BAA this year is .205 on the full year between A+ and AA, after it being .247 in High A, so I'd have to think he's got something there. Maybe not.

QUOTE (scenario @ Aug 31, 2012 -> 02:25 PM)
If we can increase the distance between us and the Tigers...

I think we could see a few more starts by guys like Axelrod and possibly Rienzo.

Rienzo is not getting added to the 40 man this year.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Aug 31, 2012 -> 01:18 PM)
Interesting. Not sure I agree on the control part: his BB/9 was 5.1 in 2011, and it has been 3.7 in 2012. 4.1 in AA. Those 2012 numbers are really pretty decent, and he's improving his control even as he moves up. Hard to say a guy with a BB/9 under 4 on the year is having any major control issues.

As for his secondary stuff, I honestly don't know much other than quips here and there that his breaking balls are a bti slushy and inconsistent. Haven't seen much detail, or anything at all recently, about it. So I'll take your word for it. His BAA this year is .205 on the full year between A+ and AA, after it being .247 in High A, so I'd have to think he's got something there. Maybe not.

I wouldn't consider 4.1 BB/9 in AA good. I think he's got a good arm, but I don't see him being good enough to make it as a starter.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Aug 31, 2012 -> 03:03 PM)
I wouldn't consider 4.1 BB/9 in AA good. I think he's got a good arm, but I don't see him being good enough to make it as a starter.

I think 3.7 split between A+ and AA, 4.1 in AA, 3.8 in his last 10 games in AA... is "decent", which is the word I used. Not great, certainly. But especially in the context of a guy who is holding batters to around a .200 average, and striking out better than a guy an inning... I think it is encouraging. He has a 1.17 WHIP on the year.

I'd be more concerned about a lack of reliable secondary stuff as you mentioned. At least at this point.

QUOTE (flavum @ Sep 10, 2012 -> 11:56 AM)
Former Sox product Kent Gerst was found dead in a creek in Missouri.

He died in a fall, it looks like.

http://www.ksdk.com/news/article/337453/3/...fall-from-bluff

wow - that's awful. I'll keep him and his family in my prayers. Along with Brandon McCarthy - I've heard his injuries are life threatening.