NEWSFLASH: Ex-Sox Santo elected to Hall of Fame

StatManDu

QUOTE (klaus kinski @ Dec 5, 2011 -> 11:25 AM)
It's what got him in

I know this is a joke, but being dead is what got him in.

I guess I feel the need to say it because I truly hated listening to him, and sometimes, due to work, I had no choice.

Edited by MAX

QUOTE (MAX @ Dec 5, 2011 -> 11:34 AM)
I know this is a joke, but being dead is what got him in.

THIS

Sorry for being a dick as well, but his act was sooooo old. Further, the manipulation of stats to justify his election became comical. The vocal majority of his proponents were young fans who never saw him play but found a way to crunch numbers that resurrected an argument that should have been put to rest after 15 failed years on the ballot.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Dec 5, 2011 -> 12:41 PM)
So he needed a 100% approval?

What the f***?

Q, you are usually a very observant poster... what are you talking about?

12 of 16. 12... of 16. There are 16 votes total. You need 12 - which is 75% - to get in. Minoso got 9, which is 3 short of the necessary 12. He got 75% of 75%.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Dec 5, 2011 -> 12:44 PM)
Q, you are usually a very observant poster... what are you talking about?

12 of 16. 12... of 16. There are 16 votes total. You need 12 - which is 75% - to get in. Minoso got 9, which is 3 short of the necessary 12. He got 75% of 75%.

:lol:

I thought Minoso might have a not Golden Era panel and this one had 12 members.

You said he got 9 of 12...so I didn't that that as he got 9 of 12 necessary votes out of 16, I read it as 9 of twelve total.

QUOTE (Soxfest @ Dec 5, 2011 -> 07:17 PM)
Santo with the sympathy vote, way too many Cub players from a team that won nothing...............Minoso should of got in.

Santo deserves it.

He was one of the best of the best in his era.

Congrats to Ronnie. Rest in peace.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Dec 5, 2011 -> 01:51 PM)
Santo deserves it.

He was one of the best of the best in his era.

Congrats to Ronnie. Rest in peace.

I saw him play, and with all due regard to Josh Fields, Santo was the best thirdbaseman that played in Chicago in my lifetime. I think it sucked that he wasn't elected during his lifetime.

QUOTE (Tex @ Dec 5, 2011 -> 08:00 PM)
I saw him play, and with all due regard to Josh Fields, Santo was the best thirdbaseman that played in Chicago in my lifetime. I think it sucked that he wasn't elected during his lifetime.

Nice post.

He did deserve it while he was alive.

Bill James says he's a Hall of Famer, too.

QUOTE (Tex @ Dec 5, 2011 -> 02:00 PM)

And that hardly qualifies him for the Hall Of Fame, which is something a lot of people in Chicago don't seem to comprehend.

QUOTE (Pants Rowland @ Dec 5, 2011 -> 11:38 AM)
Sorry for being a dick as well, but his act was sooooo old. Further, the manipulation of stats to justify his election became comical. The vocal majority of his proponents were young fans who never saw him play but found a way to crunch numbers that resurrected an argument that should have been put to rest after 15 failed years on the ballot.

Doesn't it seem rude that they voted him in now? Like 'yeah, you can be in the HoF when you're dead and buried.' It's a slap in the face to vote him in now. They should have just let him stay out.

I understand his numbers were good and he had the gold gloves, but I always saw the Hall of Fame as something special for people to get in with besides numbers. A moment or a aura about a player. Ozzie Smith didn't have good offensive numbers but he was awesome at SS, had teh highlights, the rings, and the moment, such as his homer and Jack Buck's call.

Santo has the clicking of the heels. It's not even because he was a Cub as to why I don't want him in.

QUOTE (Brian @ Dec 5, 2011 -> 09:10 PM)
I understand his numbers were good and he had the gold gloves, but I always saw the Hall of Fame as something special for people to get in with besides numbers. A moment or a aura about a player. Ozzie Smith didn't have good offensive numbers but he was awesome at SS, had teh highlights, the rings, and the moment, such as his homer and Jack Buck's call.

Santo has the clicking of the heels. It's not even because he was a Cub as to why I don't want him in.

Thing is, Santo was a dominant third baseman in his era. If Bill James says he's deserving I think we should take notice of that as well.

I don't know if Santo should be a HOFer or not, although my dad who doesn't care for anything Cubs and saw him play his entire career says he is, the bottom line is if these are the same guys who didn't vote for him earlier (again I don't know maybe its an entire crew) now vote for him, shame on them. I posted it the last time he was eligible, it was obvious he would eventually get in, they should have let him in while he was alive to enjoy it, whether you like him personally or not.

He doesn't belong in, and neither do quite a few others that have made it.

The HOF is becoming a watered down popularity contest, rather than what it was intended to be.

Was Santo a good 3B in his time? Yes. Was he one of the best of all time? No. He was not.