Kim Jong Il Died

bmags

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Dec 22, 2011 -> 04:40 PM)
Carter's been doing his own leftist thing for quite a while now, and he's pissed off the US government more than once. It's a bit of a stretch to assume that he speaks for the US government.

But with NK, he's one of the few they've seen/heard from. And he's been a diplomat before. Recently even.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Dec 22, 2011 -> 04:53 PM)
But with NK, he's one of the few they've seen/heard from. And he's been a diplomat before. Recently even.

Not in any official position, and it was actually frowned upon by the White House.

He's called for a change in foreign policy with respect to NK and was rebuked by the White House.

http://thecable.foreignpolicy.com/posts/20..._to_north_korea

Edited by StrangeSox

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 22, 2011 -> 03:39 PM)
And yet, the Carter Center has been extremely useful for U.S. diplomacy in the past, not just in this area, but in terms of elections and human rights worldwide. Perhaps you'd like to explain how we'd be better off without it?

So if this were a right wing organization trying to conduct foreign policy on behalf of the government, you'd be OK with that too? The idea that seemingly anyone who wants to can represent the US is kind of scary. I also feel that it if it is on behalf of Obama, we should know that

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 22, 2011 -> 06:25 PM)
So if this were a right wing organization trying to conduct foreign policy on behalf of the government, you'd be OK with that too? The idea that seemingly anyone who wants to can represent the US is kind of scary. I also feel that it if it is on behalf of Obama, we should know that

There's no indication that it was on behalf of Obama and they've been less-than-happy when he's gone there before.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 22, 2011 -> 06:25 PM)
So if this were a right wing organization trying to conduct foreign policy on behalf of the government, you'd be OK with that too? The idea that seemingly anyone who wants to of the 43 other Presidents this country has ever hadcan represent the US is kind of not that scary. I also feel that it if it is on behalf of Obama, we should know that

Fixed.

Edited by farmteam

What I love most about this thread is that we're taking the news agency that claimed Kim Jong-Il hit 11 holes in one on his first ever round of golf and claimed supernatural happenings at the moment of his death, at their word. The KCNA makes so much s*** up, how do we really know any of it is true in the first place?

QUOTE (Rex Kicka** @ Dec 23, 2011 -> 12:32 AM)
What I love most about this thread is that we're taking the news agency that claimed Kim Jong-Il hit 11 holes in one on his first ever round of golf and claimed supernatural happenings at the moment of his death, at their word. The KCNA makes so much s*** up, how do we really know any of it is true in the first place?

The next obvious question would be has Jimmy Carter denied it?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 23, 2011 -> 08:56 AM)
Great. So you'd have no problem with Dick Cheney conducting world diplomacy?

How about a better example...the father of the current president being a key member of an international group that deals in arms and heavy equipment amongst other things meeting directly with the head of Saudi Arabia to discuss economic issues. Thankfully, I can't find a single example of that happening. (By can't, of course, I mean, google it yourself).

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 23, 2011 -> 07:59 AM)
How about a better example...the father of the current president being a key member of an international group that deals in arms and heavy equipment amongst other things meeting directly with the head of Saudi Arabia to discuss economic issues. Thankfully, I can't find a single example of that happening. (By can't, of course, I mean, google it yourself).

Glad to see you are OK with it!

QUOTE (Rex Kicka** @ Dec 23, 2011 -> 12:32 AM)

When asked for comment he simply said talk to my publicist, who happened to be out the last 3 weeks of December.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Dec 23, 2011 -> 09:34 AM)
When asked for comment he simply said talk to my publicist, who happened to be out the last 3 weeks of December.

Actually, read the article again. When asked for comment, the Carter Center (read: the receptionist) said talk to our publicist.

QUOTE (Rex Kicka** @ Dec 23, 2011 -> 08:40 AM)
Actually, read the article again. When asked for comment, the Carter Center (read: the receptionist) said talk to our publicist.

It's been in the news for days now. If he wanted to he could have denied it, but hasn't.

Fun with photoshop NK style...

ap_kim_jong_funeral_jp_111229_wblog.jpg

The funeral procession for Kim Jong-Il was carried out with military precision and when a handful of dawdlers messed up those regimented lines, they were eliminated. From the photo, that is.

A photo released by the North Korea’s state news agency and transmitted by the Germany-based European Pressphoto Agency is slightly different from a photo taken at nearly the identical moment and released by Japanese agency Kyodo News.

The Japanese picture captured a half-dozen men near a camera on a tripod lingering behind the line of mourners on the left side of the boulevard as the motorcade passed by.

In the photo by the North Korean Central News Agency, those men, their camera and their footprints have been digitally removed, restoring absolute order to the crowds lining the boulevard as the cortege passed by.

The alterations were discovered by the New York Times with the help of digital forensics expert Hany Farid of Dartmouth College.

The European Pressphoto Agency, which distributed the doctored North Korea photo, issued a “mandatory kill” for its clients, meaning they were not to use the picture.

The agency granted an exception to ABC News “for the sole purpose of being able to show and explain what had been altered before the picture was provided to international news agencies by KCNA [North Korean Central News Agency]. We consider this as part of a transparent and responsible clarification process.”

A European Pressphoto Agency spokeswoman told ABC News, “Any kind of digital manipulation violates EPA’s code of ethics.”

SHOWS: World News

North Korea's Giant Man Spotted At Kim Jong Il Funeral Procession

r-NORTH-KOREA-GIANT-large570.jpg

The Associated Press released a photo of the procession in North Korea, and a hawk-eyed Reddit contributor was quick to point out an anomaly in the otherwise uniform crowd of mourners. In the photo above, one man appears to be nearly twice as tall as the gentlemen on his left and right.

Who is this giant? Could it be Ri "Michael" Myung Hun -- North Korea's national basketball star -- as some commenters have suggested? Thanks to North Korea's strictly controlled and photoshop-happy media, rumors are certain to abound, and we may never know for sure.

Likely due to a lower standard of living and malnutrition in the North, some studies show a growing discrepancy between the average height of North and South Koreans since the peninsula was split in two. With North Koreans clocking in at about 2 inches shorter on average, the massive mourner stands out even more next to his North Korean compatriots.

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/international...jpyMVVsk1EVI2sO

The Daily NK, an online newspaper based in South Korea and run by opponents of the North Korean government, said it had learned from a source in North Hamkyung Province that, "The authorities are handing down at least six months in a labor-training camp to anybody who didn't participate in the organized gatherings during the mourning period, or who did participate but didn't cry and didn't seem genuine."

Daily NK also said that the source reported that those critical of the country's dynastic system – which saw Kim replaced by his son Kim Jong Eun – were being sent to re-education camps or banished with their families to remote areas.

In addition, the paper said, the source reported public trials were being held for those who attempted to leave North Korea during the mourning period for Kim and even for those who used mobile phones to call out.