Kim Jong Il Died

bmags

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe the son will just take the cash. bolt for a real paradise and throw the keys to South Korea. Even being raised by that crazy-ass dad of his he has to know what like outside NK is really like. Being only 26, perhaps he just want to 'sow his oates', so to speak.

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Dec 19, 2011 -> 11:11 AM)
Nothing will change in North Korea.

They will still be living in 1984 land.

Only 10% have electricity and running water. You give them too much credit for 1984. Shave a decade or 10 off that you may be in the ballpark!

QUOTE (Big Hurtin @ Dec 19, 2011 -> 11:42 AM)
It that good or bad as far as North Korea goes? Is it going to be more of the same with his succesor?

I would have to go with the stock response that we'll just have to wait and see. You'd hope that a younger person would be more in touch with reality and the possibilities of the world outside of North Korea, but you never know exactly how brainwashed or how much of a megalomaniac he is.

It's pretty terrible by all accounts, unfortunately. They are so backwards, and so poor, and so far behind their neighbors, that the surrounding states can't really afford to take in huge swathes of their people. Geopolitically it's just an awful situation. They are a rogue state just getting by on a black market economy.

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Dec 19, 2011 -> 06:04 PM)
The popular guess is that the son does some sabre-rattling to show he is in command, sink a SK ship or something to try and show he da man and deserves respect!

Yeah, I have many friends in SK at the moment and I'm worried about what might happen. For all the jokes and stuff, his death is pretty much as scary as his life. They are essentially a feudal system with a near perfect totalitarian-ruled country. That legacy aspect may cause some deeply non-sensical, and terrible, things to happen to retain that power.

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Dec 19, 2011 -> 11:37 AM)
Maybe the son will just take the cash. bolt for a real paradise and throw the keys to South Korea. Even being raised by that crazy-ass dad of his he has to know what like outside NK is really like. Being only 26, perhaps he just want to 'sow his oates', so to speak.

His son studied in Switzerland and was a huge NBA fan. He's westernized as hell.

That doesn't mean he won't be a complete ass hole though.

Edited by chw42

QUOTE (bmags @ Dec 19, 2011 -> 12:07 PM)
Yeah, I have many friends in SK at the moment and I'm worried about what might happen. For all the jokes and stuff, his death is pretty much as scary as his life. They are essentially a feudal system with a near perfect totalitarian-ruled country. That legacy aspect may cause some deeply non-sensical, and terrible, things to happen to retain that power.

I have a college friend that is JUST leaving for his SK army duties this week, he's gotta serve 2 years for them and Im kinda scared as hell for him. Fortunately, he got into a program that works closely with the US army and will actually give him US citizenship after his tour.