2011-2012 NBA Season Thread

QUOTE (Brian @ Apr 20, 2012 -> 08:50 AM)
I don't want the Bulls to have to play Indiana in round 2.

That can't happen. Bulls will play Sixers/Knicks (or long shot Bucks) and then either Boston or Atlanta. Bulls will get the Pacers in the Finals if both get there.

It's interesting that both the #1 seed and the #2 seed have difficult and "easier" 1st and 2nd round matchups. In the first round the Sixers stink (easier) but the Knicks (harder) have the potential to pull off the upset. In the 2nd you'd have either Boston/Atlanta (harder) or the Pacers (easier).

• Replies 8.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Apr 20, 2012 -> 08:02 AM)
That can't happen. Bulls will play Sixers/Knicks (or long shot Bucks) and then either Boston or Atlanta. Bulls will get the Pacers in the Finals if both get there.

It's interesting that both the #1 seed and the #2 seed have difficult and "easier" 1st and 2nd round matchups. In the first round the Sixers stink (easier) but the Knicks (harder) have the potential to pull off the upset. In the 2nd you'd have either Boston/Atlanta (harder) or the Pacers (easier).

I thought Boston had the 3 wrapped up for some reason. I love playing Boston in Round 2.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Apr 20, 2012 -> 09:02 AM)

If the Bulls end up as the 2 seed, it will happen. Which is what Brian is saying

Also, it's a game like last night that I really miss Kurt Thomas. Laying out Wade at some point in that game would have sent a message back, but Miami became the aggressor and that was basically the game.

And it was absolutely ridiculous that Wade didn't get ejected. He didn't foul Hamilton, he purposefully body checked him onto the floor. And it happened RIGHT in front of the official. Flagrant 2 "is unnecessary and excessive contact committed by a player against an opponent." That play was pretty much the definition of the rule.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Apr 20, 2012 -> 09:07 AM)
Also, it's a game like last night that I really miss Kurt Thomas. Laying out Wade at some point in that game would have sent a message back, but Miami became the aggressor and that was basically the game.

And it was absolutely ridiculous that Wade didn't get ejected. He didn't foul Hamilton, he purposefully body checked him onto the floor. And it happened RIGHT in front of the official. Flagrant 2 "is unnecessary and excessive contact committed by a player against an opponent." That play was pretty much the definition of the rule.

Yes, especially after James Jones got ejected. That was a pretty bushleague game by the Heat

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 20, 2012 -> 07:46 AM)
The Bulls are really in the heads of the Heat at this point. They had to go all bad boys on them. Miami had no self-control last night. The playoffs ought to be fun.

I agree, you know Miami wanted to bury the Bulls, instead the Bulls kept hanging around and if Chicago just had an avg shooting night, the Bulls could've won...without Rose...in Miami. Bulls hit just 2 of 16 3pt shots and overall hit 35%, missing a lot of open jumpers.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Apr 20, 2012 -> 09:33 AM)
The Pacers will knock off the Heat in Round 2. Book it.

I think the team with the best shot of knocking off Miami in the east besides Chicago is the Celtics. The Pacers can certainly beat up the Heat though :lolhitting

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Apr 20, 2012 -> 10:02 AM)

Wait...isn't it the case that the #3 seed in the conference is going to go to the division winner in the East (The Celtics)? Or have they re-edited this rule again?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 20, 2012 -> 09:49 AM)
Wait...isn't it the case that the #3 seed in the conference is going to go to the division winner in the East (The Celtics)? Or have they re-edited this rule again?

the brackets they showed last night had the Bulls playing philly, then the winner of ATL/BOS, and the Heat playing NYK, then the winner of IND/ORL

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 20, 2012 -> 09:49 AM)

Since 2006

The team that has the best record in each of the three divisions in each conference is declared division champion. The three champions, and another team in the conference with the best record, are seeded one through four by their records.

What that means is each division winner is guaranteed home court, but if another team that finishes 2nd in their division has a better record than one of the division winners, they get seeded accordingly.

So right now, it'd be

1. Bulls

2. Heat

3. Pacers

4. Celtics

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 20, 2012 -> 09:59 AM)
Ok, thanks steve, could never keep that rule straight.

It's all ass-backwards anyway. I wish both the NBA and NHL would adopt a "win the division and you're in, but seeding (1-8) is solely based on record" policy.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Apr 20, 2012 -> 11:11 AM)
I love Wilbon, but Christ does his Cub-fandom come out sometimes:

http://espn.go.com/chicago/nba/story/_/id/...g-chicago-bulls

The sky is falling! The sky is falling! Everyone run for cover!

I'm not sure he's wrong.

Without a healthy Derrick Rose, this team would have a rough go even just in the first round. If they get the Celtics in round 2 and they have a 75% Rose or worse...they're going to lose that series.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Apr 20, 2012 -> 11:31 AM)
I think the Bulls can win the first series without Rose and would probably be even/slight advantage against the Celtics if that was the round 2 match up.

I think against Philly or Milwaukee they could win it without him, but that's going to be a major fight, and if they lose a game because he comes back and has to shake off rust, things are even worse. I think Rondo would torch the Bulls without Rose in there, and that would be the difference in that series.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Apr 20, 2012 -> 11:45 AM)
I really dont think Rondo is going to do drastically more without Rose, its not like Rose is known for his defense.

I forgot about the more recent game, but when Rose was misisng against them for a game in Feb., he went off and torched the Bulls for a triple double with 30 points. Rose doesn't just have to defend him, but he also makes Rondo have to work on the other side of the court.

He had a career game on Feb 12, the Celtics then played the Bulls other times, again without Rose, Rondo's stat line was:

Feb 26: 17/7/8

April 5: 10/4/12

For whatever reason on Feb 12 and Feb 13, Rondo was a different player. He scored 30 pts back to back, and in each game had 20+ shots. Outside of those 2 games, Rondo has scored 30 and shot more than 20 times, in 1 other game respectively (they were actually 2 games, but in one he scored 30 with 19 shots.)

I just think that those 2 games were outliers.

Yeah I think this Celtic love is hilarious when they get swept at some point in the playoffs. Unless KG plays his A-game, they're still pretty average, no matter how well Rondo/Pierce play.

Bulls should have no problem in Round 1 without Rose. Round 2 might be tough but they should be able to grind it out. The Finals against the Heat? I see a 4-1 Heat win again.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Apr 20, 2012 -> 10:45 AM)
I really dont think Rondo is going to do drastically more without Rose, its not like Rose is known for his defense.

Sure, but in said games Rondo has to guard Rose at certain points, which most certainly wears him down. Plus, he feels insecure because Rose is such a better player!