2011-2012 NBA Season Thread

QUOTE (iamshack @ Apr 13, 2012 -> 09:32 AM)
The thing is, we could get out of the second round if we just admitted that was the case and adjusted...I think we are still better than most teams even when Rose isn't in the game.

But you know they will force Rose out there and he will try and be the mvp and actually hurt us...

I don't buy that for a second. Rose was on the bench last night, pretty much for all of crunch time. Thibs is about winning, not feelings or what he "should" be doing.

• Replies 8.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Apr 13, 2012 -> 09:33 AM)
Here are Derrick Rose's point totals vs the Heat over the last two years.

Of course, in those games, he's only shot 37%, but he got to the stripe like a mad donkey slayer.

What do we take from this? Obviously last night was an aberration, but the Heat with their Big 2.5 certainly do a better job on Rose than any other team in the NBA.

I don't know the stats but it seems like Golden State has the best success vs Drose, maybe it's just a couple of the games I watched vs them but neither were good.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 13, 2012 -> 10:38 AM)
Well we did just beat the Heat in back to back games without him and with him being a huge negative while on the floor.

And the Bulls beat the Heat 4 times in last year's regular season.

This team cannot win in the playoffs on guile alone.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 13, 2012 -> 08:39 AM)
I don't buy that for a second. Rose was on the bench last night, pretty much for all of crunch time. Thibs is about winning, not feelings or what he "should" be doing.

Yeah, although he had no business putting him back in with 4 minutes and change left.

I need to see them bench him in the playoffs though...last year we went to the same dried-up well several times at the end of those games.

QUOTE (GoodAsGould @ Apr 13, 2012 -> 09:40 AM)
I don't know the stats but it seems like Golden State has the best success vs Drose, maybe it's just a couple of the games I watched vs them but neither were good.

Yeah, they play Rose really well, because they double team the s*** out of him and dare the rest of our team to actually hit shots. That certainly wouldn't have worked for them last night, but when Korver, Deng, & Co. are missing, it's death to the Bulls.

That's what happened in the ECF last year beyond game 1.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Apr 13, 2012 -> 09:43 AM)
Yeah, although he had no business putting him back in with 4 minutes and change left.

I need to see them bench him in the playoffs though...last year we went to the same dried-up well several times at the end of those games.

If he is playing like this, I have no doubt Thibs doesn't extend his minutes. Dude would bench his mother if it meant winning a game. The good thing is that the team all seems to get it. The first guys off of the bench down the stretch to hi five guys during time outs were Boozer and Rose. Tell me that LeBron and company would have reacted the same way?

QUOTE (iamshack @ Apr 13, 2012 -> 09:31 AM)
Yeah, but it's easier for LeBron to defend a guy that isn't hitting his jumper and shut down his game around the hoop than vice versa....A player that can hit like that from the perimeter is going to be much more difficult to guard than one who has to go to the hoop a lot more.

Obviously, which is why I pointed out that Rose couldn't hit anything. Rose isn't a bad jump shooter. Two years ago, when teams still sagged off of him, he averaged nearly 7 attempts a game from 16-23 feet and shot 44%. Very, very solid. Teams have had to play Rose more honest over the past few years because of the improvement on his jump shot. It's just that last year's ECF has made everyone think Lebron is some sort of Rose stopper. If Rose is healthy, I just don't see it.

QUOTE (Boogua @ Apr 13, 2012 -> 09:45 AM)
Obviously, which is why I pointed out that Rose couldn't hit anything. Rose isn't a bad jump shooter. Two years ago, when teams still sagged off of him, he averaged nearly 7 attempts a game from 16-23 feet and shot 44%. Very, very solid. Teams have had to play Rose more honest over the past few years because of the improvement on his jump shot. It's just that last year's ECF has made everyone think Lebron is some sort of Rose stopper. If Rose is healthy, I just don't see it.

As Balta pointed out, it's not just the ECF...it's been this regular season as well...to me, it basically appears to be whenever he decides he wants to do it, and that is at the end of games.

We'll see...I'd like nothing more than for Derrick to get over the hump...it's incredibly frustrating to see the same ending to the movie again and again...

QUOTE (iamshack @ Apr 13, 2012 -> 09:48 AM)
As Balta pointed out, it's not just the ECF...it's been this regular season as well...to me, it basically appears to be whenever he decides he wants to do it, and that is at the end of games.

We'll see...I'd like nothing more than for Derrick to get over the hump...it's incredibly frustrating to see the same ending to the movie again and again...

I think in the long run the Bulls will benefit from life without Derrick so much of this year. They have been forced to find other guys who can close games and hit key shots. They don't have to sit around and wait for Rose to steal the show anymore.

The exclusive focus of this team for the next two weeks needs to be health and minutes. Work Rose and Hamilton up to playoff shape, while taking it easy on guys like Deng who have played a ton this year, and Watson who has gotten a lot more work than was expected. Get guys Butler, Lucas, and Scal out there against the crapass schedule they have coming up.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 13, 2012 -> 09:51 AM)
I think in the long run the Bulls will benefit from life without Derrick so much of this year. They have been forced to find other guys who can close games and hit key shots. They don't have to sit around and wait for Rose to steal the show anymore.

The exclusive focus of this team for the next two weeks needs to be health and minutes. Work Rose and Hamilton up to playoff shape, while taking it easy on guys like Deng who have played a ton this year, and Watson who has gotten a lot more work than was expected. Get guys Butler, Lucas, and Scal out there against the crapass schedule they have coming up.

I think next season if Rose wants to keep progressing he needs to learn how to move without the ball more, part of the problem is whenever he plays guys stand around waiting for him to make something happen and the other part is he doesn't do much without the ball in his hand.

QUOTE (GoodAsGould @ Apr 13, 2012 -> 09:52 AM)
I think next season if Rose wants to keep progressing he needs to learn how to move without the ball more, part of the problem is whenever he plays guys stand around waiting for him to make something happen and the other part is he doesn't do much without the ball in his hand.

If you look at it though, he doesn't do anything different than what Watson does - stand around at the top of the key, wait for a pick, hit the open guy. The key is that when Watson is in the game, everyone else understands he's not going to drive the ball, so they move around to get open. With Rose everyone stands around. That not only screws up the offense, but it also screws up rebounding position.

All this will be moot in 2-3 weeks when these guys have had the chance to play together. Rose/Hamilton looked pretty damn good in Miami earlier this year.

SAINTS OWNER TO BUY HORNETS

The NBA’s days as an owner of the New Orleans Hornets are drawing to a close. The league reached a tentative agreement early Friday morning with New Orleans Saints owner Tom Benson to buy the team for $338 million, according to a source with knowledge of the discussions.

The league chose Benson, who will be purchasing the team by himself, over a group of investors including businessman Raj Bhathal and former NBA head coach and general manager Mike Dunleavy, and former minority owner Gary Chouest, who had tried unsuccessfully to buy the team from majority owner George Shinn three years ago. The Bhathal group also included Larry Benson, Tom Benson’s younger brother.

The New Orleans Times Picayune first reported the sale to Tom Benson on its website this morning.

Benson would be allowed under the NFL’s rules to buy the Hornets. That sport prohibits cross ownership, the rule that prompted the Denver Nuggets’ former primary owner, Stan Kroenke, to transfer ownership of the Nuggets to his son, Josh, when Stan Kroenke obtained a majority ownership stake of the NFL’s St. Louis Rams.

Because the Saints and Hornets both play in New Orleans, the NFL would have no objection to Tom Benson’s purchase of the Hornets.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 13, 2012 -> 03:46 PM)
Korver is a different player this year. He never looked comfortable, even during the regular season.

Korver + Boozer both look much improved this year. Part of it is on defense we are using Korver much more effectively, he never gets put in the position where he's guarding wade (like last years playoffs), in fact, look at what he does vs. JJ Redick where he actually dominates in those shooter on shooter matchups.

But for Boozer he's just played great. I've been on his bandwagon all year even through all the "HE DOESNT TRY HES JUST DUMB AND STUPID AND HE SUCKS AND HES TERRIBLE HES THE WORST PLAYER EVER" soxtalk posts.

Takes a while to learn how to play with a team.

QUOTE (bmags @ Apr 13, 2012 -> 02:56 PM)
Korver + Boozer both look much improved this year.

I really think if Korver had not completely fallen apart in the playoffs, the Bulls had a pretty darn good shot at beating the Heat. His lack of clutch shots combined with everyone else ont he BUlls being ineffective, made Derrick have to carry the team.

espn.go.com/new-york/nba/story/_/id/7810620/new-york-knicks-jared-jeffries-likes-chicago-bulls-matchup-playoffs

Jared Jeffries wants the Bulls in the first round. He doesn't really think the Bulls can hang with them over a 7 game series(minus Rose).

I think the Bulls could beat the Knicks without Rose. I don't want them to, but I think they could

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Apr 13, 2012 -> 05:44 PM)
espn.go.com/new-york/nba/story/_/id/7810620/new-york-knicks-jared-jeffries-likes-chicago-bulls-matchup-playoffs

Jared Jeffries wants the Bulls in the first round. He doesn't really think the Bulls can hang with them over a 7 game series

The last 2 times out, the Knicks have effectively played a Rose-less Bulls team.

The time before that, was the game Rose sprained his groin.

He has every reason to think that. He hasn't seen the full Bulls attack since Feb,. and that was without Hamilton.