2012 TV Thread

knightni

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (DrunkBomber @ Feb 19, 2012 -> 08:50 PM)
I started watching it on netflix recently also. I really cant lead myself to believe this isnt 100% scripted. So far its entertaining but everything is just so convenient, I dont see how its not fake.

What do you mean? I do believe that the producers plant certain tools and items that they could use to make things, and obviously the marauders are actors and told what to do, but I think the rest of it is completely real. The only part I really question is that they must be told they can't "escape" until a certain time. Like if they made it out of the town in 2 weeks, the show would not work, so they must tell them their end period when they can try to get out of the town.

Also, the scene at the end of S1 where Joey decides to stay back in the town was really odd. Doesn't he realize he is on a TV show that is about to end? Also, why didn't they leave the people with cell phones, but just de-activated their services? A smart phone could still be useful for the calculators and apps and hell, even the music people have on their phones as entertainment. If the world were to end, I can't imagine people not taking their cellphones with them.

Edited by JoeCoolMan24

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Feb 19, 2012 -> 11:49 PM)
What do you mean? I do believe that the producers plant certain tools and items that they could use to make things, and obviously the marauders are actors and told what to do, but I think the rest of it is completely real. The only part I really question is that they must be told they can't "escape" until a certain time. Like if they made it out of the town in 2 weeks, the show would not work, so they must tell them their end period when they can try to get out of the town.

Also, the scene at the end of S1 where Joey decides to stay back in the town was really odd. Doesn't he realize he is on a TV show that is about to end? Also, why didn't they leave the people with cell phones, but just de-activated their services? A smart phone could still be useful for the calculators and apps and hell, even the music people have on their phones as entertainment. If the world were to end, I can't imagine people not taking their cellphones with them.

I think most, if not all of the colonists are actors. At minimum a few of them were planted there to shake things up. Everything is just way too convenient. I know they planted stuff there but its just ridiculous how these people have an answer for everything.

I did some searching on the internet to see if other people thought it was fake and found a pretty good conversation about it. http://community.discovery.com/eve/forums/...1/m/62119508201

Now it might not be completely scripted, but the producers are definitely saying things like "this week you guys are going to need to go find solar panels and get them to work." Also, things like how the guys wife just randomly showed up there. If it was a legit reality show and not actors it would have been much more of a wtf moment between them. The outside human interaction kind of ruins it too. People showing up with guns? You know theyre not going to hurt you. You can just tell everything is predetermined and staged. From the guy going missing in the hospital to how they escape in the end. The marauders caught in a net, and then the flame thrower not coming out until theyre inside.

Its a tough format to follow for a reality show. It needs to be more like survivor for the show to be what its claiming it is. Like I said before, its entertaining but Im just about positive the colonists are actors and most of it is scripted.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 18, 2012 -> 09:30 PM)
Yes, that's right, It's Saturday night, and I'm sitting here watching Transformers.

The 1986 movie. It's on DirecTV channel 294.

Did it have Spike saying s***?

I've seen that version probably 100 times in my life. I have DVD somewhere...

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Feb 20, 2012 -> 10:32 AM)
Walking Dead was better, but still not good. Every time they create some tense moments, they follow it up with 10 minutes of boring conversation.

LMAO why do you continue to watch a show you hate so much? Just let it go, you are never going to like it.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Feb 20, 2012 -> 11:20 AM)
LMAO why do you continue to watch a show you hate so much? Just let it go, you are never going to like it.

Partly it's to laugh at how bad it is, and to be able to give a friend of mine s*** for thinking it's a good show. But it's also partly that when other characters have been introduced there's some good TV there. The Lord of the Flies angle is interesting to watch. Right now it's only 5-10 min of the episode, but I know that'll increase eventually.

QUOTE (DrunkBomber @ Feb 20, 2012 -> 05:48 AM)
I think most, if not all of the colonists are actors. At minimum a few of them were planted there to shake things up. Everything is just way too convenient. I know they planted stuff there but its just ridiculous how these people have an answer for everything.

I did some searching on the internet to see if other people thought it was fake and found a pretty good conversation about it. http://community.discovery.com/eve/forums/...1/m/62119508201

Now it might not be completely scripted, but the producers are definitely saying things like "this week you guys are going to need to go find solar panels and get them to work." Also, things like how the guys wife just randomly showed up there. If it was a legit reality show and not actors it would have been much more of a wtf moment between them. The outside human interaction kind of ruins it too. People showing up with guns? You know theyre not going to hurt you. You can just tell everything is predetermined and staged. From the guy going missing in the hospital to how they escape in the end. The marauders caught in a net, and then the flame thrower not coming out until theyre inside.

Its a tough format to follow for a reality show. It needs to be more like survivor for the show to be what its claiming it is. Like I said before, its entertaining but Im just about positive the colonists are actors and most of it is scripted.

I fully agree that they picked people based on skills and personality conflicts. They want good ratings, so they will pick outspoken and loud people, every show does this.

The thing w/ the guys wife showing up was obviously planned. But that's supposed to simulate when people reunite with their family members after a long time without them. Of course she was brought on to the show for that purpose, that was part of the experiment.

The guy going "missing" at the hospital was also part of the experiment. They wanted people to deal with how it would be when you lose a member of your group. They even said "George was removed from the experiment by the producers". Just because it was planned doesn't mean all the other colonists were aware of it. I'm sure they didn't believe George actually died, but it's supposed to simulate those feelings. The escape in the end was obviously planned because they were given the coordinates of where to escape. They place the mauraders in strategic places and have them do certain things as a way to test the colonists improv and survival skills.

I don't believe that ANY of the colonists are actors. The mauraders obviously are, and certain things obviously happen for a reason to progress the show along, but that's kind of the point of the show, to simulate events that might happen, just the public utilities and electricity coming on and off. I think it's a fantastic show, but not scripted.

Ya the stuff they explain during the show you dont need to keep explaining. I know the marauders are actors and that the stuff was staged. My point was that I think that at least some of the colonists are actors and are being told what to do. Season 2 is a lot more believable to me but even like you mentioned about season 1, when the guy says hes going back at then end, wtf is that? Everywhere Ive looked people seem to be pretty split in thinking the colonists are actors or not, I just dont see how someone can watch season 1 and think that it is a reality show at all.

QUOTE (DrunkBomber @ Feb 21, 2012 -> 02:23 AM)
Ya the stuff they explain during the show you dont need to keep explaining. I know the marauders are actors and that the stuff was staged. My point was that I think that at least some of the colonists are actors and are being told what to do. Season 2 is a lot more believable to me but even like you mentioned about season 1, when the guy says hes going back at then end, wtf is that? Everywhere Ive looked people seem to be pretty split in thinking the colonists are actors or not, I just dont see how someone can watch season 1 and think that it is a reality show at all.

Yeah, Joey deciding to stay back at the end of S1 really confused me. Incredibly dramatic for no reason. That scene is a major reason why I wish they did some sort of resolution or reunion show where all the colonists talk about experiences and stuff, and then maybe that scene would be answered.

Maybe part of it is that I just don't WANT to believe that it could be scripted, because if it is, I know I won't watch the show anymore, but I truly never believed for a second any of them were just acting and were told what to say.

NBC, I hate you.

Good news is that Community comes back March 15th. But the show that is going on a 5 week hiatus for them? Not the awful Whitney or Chelsea show, but the best comedy on TV. Parks & Rec. FU NBC

QUOTE (Brian @ Feb 21, 2012 -> 03:39 PM)
NBC, I hate you.

Good news is that Community comes back March 15th. But the show that is going on a 5 week hiatus for them? Not the awful Whitney or Chelsea show, but the best comedy on TV. Parks & Rec. FU NBC

Parks and Rec is going on hiatus? Awww balls. Good thing I still have about 10 episodes left to catch up on.

QUOTE (Brian @ Feb 21, 2012 -> 02:39 PM)
NBC, I hate you.

I know a lot of people that watch it, and I was under the impression that it was doing very well in the ratings. Am I incorrect?

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Feb 21, 2012 -> 01:32 AM)
Yeah, Joey deciding to stay back at the end of S1 really confused me. Incredibly dramatic for no reason. That scene is a major reason why I wish they did some sort of resolution or reunion show where all the colonists talk about experiences and stuff, and then maybe that scene would be answered.

Maybe part of it is that I just don't WANT to believe that it could be scripted, because if it is, I know I won't watch the show anymore, but I truly never believed for a second any of them were just acting and were told what to say.

Ya thats a good point. Im probably doing the opposite and want to really believe its fake now so Im looking around on the internet trying to find any info about the cast being actors I can find.

Its definitely an interesting idea for a show though. I think instead of the outsiders that are actors they should just start with more colonists and just let them form their own groups and see what they do. Then they can introduce the resources and see how the different groups approach going after them. That would also eliminate the simulated violence which I think really needs to go. Also, if everyone there were colonists, say 30 of them, they can decide if they create one giants group, which is unlikely, or if there really is a group that become outsiders that are similar to the marauders it would be a lot more interesting.

QUOTE (DrunkBomber @ Feb 21, 2012 -> 04:34 PM)
Ya thats a good point. Im probably doing the opposite and want to really believe its fake now so Im looking around on the internet trying to find any info about the cast being actors I can find.

Its definitely an interesting idea for a show though. I think instead of the outsiders that are actors they should just start with more colonists and just let them form their own groups and see what they do. Then they can introduce the resources and see how the different groups approach going after them. That would also eliminate the simulated violence which I think really needs to go. Also, if everyone there were colonists, say 30 of them, they can decide if they create one giants group, which is unlikely, or if there really is a group that become outsiders that are similar to the marauders it would be a lot more interesting.

Yeah, that would be cool, and I thought about that, but then I realized they probably don't want a huge group of colonists because it's harder for viewers to learn people and develop emotions towards people if there are 30 of them to remember, versus 9 or 10. Think about it, how many shows have 30 main characters? Also, they would have TONS of footage from following 30 people around.

HOWEVER, I think it would be totally cool and more realistic if they did like 2 groups of 5 or 6, filmed them independently in different locations, and then at some in the season allowed them to interact with eachother. Like maybe force them to live on the opposite ends of town with the middle area blocked off, and then at some point open up that middle ground, push them to explore, and then see what happens when the find eachother, and they would basically be competing over things at this point, rather than coming together, especially if you do it like 3-4 weeks in to the experiment where people are more established in their groups and dwellings.

Ya that would be a better idea. Just anything to eliminate the fake outsiders but still forcing them to interact with other groups of people. Keeping them separated for a period is good too because it will force them to create alliances with their group before they interact with the other people. They could also possibly drop in a random person or two and see what side they go to. Id be curious to see if any of them would switch groups, Id have to imagine some would.