2012 Video Game Thread

knightni

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Mar 19, 2012 -> 12:17 AM)
I mean, if you only have an Xbox, I guess you have to live with it. But if PS3 copies of that game are being sold, then people need to have their PS3's removed from them, because that's pure abuse.

Sorry, but I have played both The Show and 2K this year and they are essentially the same game with The Show having much better graphics.. I dont really care what the game looks like, am I having fun playing it is much more important to me and The Show was not a fun game to play at all.. It may be because of my awesome giant TV, but I dont know that for sure.. All I know is, I want to have fun playing any game and The Show was not fun to me..

If 2K looked like The Show did, it wouldnt be so lopsided in popularity.. I really dont care though as I get everything I need for my baseball fix from 2K without having to play The Show and want to rip my ball hairs out in the process..

Now the only thing I have left to do is figure out what to do with this piece of s*** PS3 that FoP made me buy and is now just collecting dust under my TV..

• Replies 802
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Papa Tru @ Mar 19, 2012 -> 07:08 PM)
Sorry, but I have played both The Show and 2K this year and they are essentially the same game with The Show having much better graphics.. I dont really care what the game looks like, am I having fun playing it is much more important to me and The Show was not a fun game to play at all.. It may be because of my awesome giant TV, but I dont know that for sure.. All I know is, I want to have fun playing any game and The Show was not fun to me..

If 2K looked like The Show did, it wouldnt be so lopsided in popularity.. I really dont care though as I get everything I need for my baseball fix from 2K without having to play The Show and want to rip my ball hairs out in the process..

Now the only thing I have left to do is figure out what to do with this piece of s*** PS3 that FoP made me buy and is now just collecting dust under my TV..

I'd imagine you didn't have fun because the Show takes a legitimate learning curve and is not at all like an arcade simulation.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Mar 19, 2012 -> 07:32 PM)
I'd imagine you didn't have fun because the Show takes a legitimate learning curve and is not at all like an arcade simulation.

lol, settle down mr force trade

QUOTE (Papa Tru @ Mar 19, 2012 -> 08:08 PM)

The graphic gap between the two games isn't even the biggest thing. I admit to never playing the final builds of 2K baseball in years, but I play the demo every year, and the gameplay is just horrendous. The sounds aren't right, the gameplay is buggy, the controls are odd (although I suppose those could be defaulted to button-styled), and the camera views are bad. InsideEdge is something I do like, and they have some pretty cool stat overlays, but that's about it. I honestly wouldn't even pay $30 for that game. And it's not just me, and it's not just graphics. All the reviews in the world will show that SCEA's version is the better game.

You don't have to like it, and maybe you just want an easy, arcade style game that isn't very deep, but that's fine. But I'll never concede that 2K's version is even close to The Show, and this is coming from a guy who always owned All-Star baseball and then 2K baseball up until The Show '09.

PS: Sell me your Ps3. I could use a 4th one. lol.

Edited by JoeCoolMan24

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Mar 19, 2012 -> 07:58 PM)
Have you guys actually played the My Player mode in MLB 2k12?

Im sure they havent. 2K12 is a good game, the graphics just look weak.. which I dont understand why they cant grasp that..

QUOTE (Papa Tru @ Mar 19, 2012 -> 08:22 PM)
lol, settle down mr force trade

It was either that or not be the Sox or sim a season which makes every other team different. The Sox suck in that game and in real life. However, touche'.

Oh, and it was funny. After I forced Rios for Upton, the poor D'Backs smartly waived Rios. Immediately.

Video Game 1, KW 0.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Mar 19, 2012 -> 08:23 PM)
The graphic gap between the two games isn't even the biggest thing. I admit to never playing the final builds of 2K baseball in years, but I play the demo every year, and the gameplay is just horrendous. The sounds aren't right, the gameplay is buggy, the controls are odd (although I suppose those could be defaulted to button-styled), and the camera views are bad. InsideEdge is something I do like, and they have some pretty cool stat overlays, but that's about it. I honestly wouldn't even pay $30 for that game. And it's not just me, and it's not just graphics. All the reviews in the world will show that SCEA's version is the better game.

You don't have to like it, and maybe you just want an easy, arcade style game that isn't very deep, but that's fine. But I'll never concede that 2K's version is even close to The Show, and this is coming from a guy who always owned All-Star baseball and then 2K baseball up until The Show '09.

you fan boys kill me.. since when is 2K arcade simulation? The graphics is the only thing thats killing the 2K series.. the gameplay is no different than The Shows.. You act like 2K is some one button does everything game.. Oh im sorry, getting to choose to keep your guy warming in the bullpen "Waiting to enter the game" is a deal breaker, The Show is beyond deep..

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Mar 19, 2012 -> 08:23 PM)
It was either that or not be the Sox or sim a season which makes every other team different. The Sox suck in that game and in real life. However, touche'.

Oh, and it was funny. After I forced Rios for Upton, the poor D'Backs smartly waived Rios. Immediately.

Video Game 1, KW 0.

Lol

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Mar 19, 2012 -> 08:23 PM)

Video Game 1, KW 0.

FoP was saying that people were having trouble hitting on bigger TVs (Oh and whats with the "This game was designed for 720P) But when it says timing perfect and location wheelhouse and I weakly ground out to the pitcher, and this happened, multiple times, I have had enough of it.

My RTTS guy was hitting .210 through 120 ABs.. Its completely ridiculous to expect me to continue playing this game when its telling me everything is perfect on my swing yet the ball goes nowhere.. Not to mention the menu navigation on The Show is a pain in the ass..

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Mar 17, 2012 -> 12:53 AM)
1) Who is TRU, and what are the extents of his apparent brain damage

Haha dude you scared the hell out of me; this was the first thing I saw, thought he was in an accident or something

QUOTE (Tmar @ Mar 19, 2012 -> 08:37 PM)
Haha dude you scared the hell out of me; this was the first thing I saw, thought he was in an accident or something

Haha oh Tim.. you are always good for a laugh

QUOTE (Papa Tru @ Mar 19, 2012 -> 09:26 PM)
you fan boys kill me.. since when is 2K arcade simulation? The graphics is the only thing thats killing the 2K series.. the gameplay is no different than The Shows.. You act like 2K is some one button does everything game.. Oh im sorry, getting to choose to keep your guy warming in the bullpen "Waiting to enter the game" is a deal breaker, The Show is beyond deep..

Fanboys? Lol, did you not get to the end of my comment where I laid out how I was a big 2K baseball fan until recently? I'm certainly no fanboy. In fact, a lot of people at Operation Sports dislike me because I make fun of all those guys who dick ride on the developers from SCEA who post there. I usually post negative things on that board to prove it's not sunshine and roses like those people believe. The Show could revert back to 64-bit graphics and those guys would tell you how beautiful it is, it's disgusting.

Anyway, it's NOT just graphics. In my post I pointed out all the areas that I thought were terrible, none of which mentioned the PS2-era graphics.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Mar 19, 2012 -> 08:53 PM)
Fanboys? Lol, did you not get to the end of my comment where I laid out how I was a big 2K baseball fan until recently? I'm certainly no fanboy. In fact, a lot of people at Operation Sports dislike me because I make fun of all those guys who dick ride on the developers from SCEA who post there. I usually post negative things on that board to prove it's not sunshine and roses like those people believe. The Show could revert back to 64-bit graphics and those guys would tell you how beautiful it is, it's disgusting.

Anyway, it's NOT just graphics. In my post I pointed out all the areas that I thought were terrible, none of which mentioned the PS2-era graphics.

All I know is ive been reading all the Show hype on this board for years and I finally bought into it and was severely disappointed with the game when I finally gave it a shot..

QUOTE (Papa Tru @ Mar 19, 2012 -> 10:23 PM)
All I know is ive been reading all the Show hype on this board for years and I finally bought into it and was severely disappointed with the game when I finally gave it a shot..

Well, I mean, you are entitled to your own opinion, and I can't change that.

However, you can sell me your PS3 for cheap. Right Meow!

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Mar 19, 2012 -> 09:25 PM)
Well, I mean, you are entitled to your own opinion, and I can't change that.

However, you can sell me your PS3 for cheap. Right Meow!

im probably going to just keep it for the Blu Ray and RPG type game such as Fallouts, Elder Scrolls, Borderlands.. but if I change my mind ill let you know.. I used it maybe 4 times since I bought it..

Oh yeah, and for those of you who do have The Show, how is your hitting doing? As I posted earlier, I was sent back down to AA after the Futures Game I made somehow in AAA. I actually ended the year on a good note. At one point I had like a .430 AVG over a 10-game span. Ended the year around .200 AVG in AA I think.

Started the 2013 season in AA again. April is almost over, and I am hitting like .160, haha. However, the hits I have been getting have been bullets, and my speed is good enough that I can usually swipe 2nd. I would venture to guess I have about 6 or 7 steals right now, to maybe 2 CS. Despite my average, I have like 12 RBIs. My hits have been in good spots, and I am capitalizing on sac flies.

Edited by JoeCoolMan24

QUOTE (Papa Tru @ Mar 19, 2012 -> 10:30 PM)
im probably going to just keep it for the Blu Ray and RPG type game such as Fallouts, Elder Scrolls, Borderlands.. but if I change my mind ill let you know.. I used it maybe 4 times since I bought it..

That's crazy to me. You don't even use it for Netflix or MLB.tv or any other apps? I guess if you don't have those services, it's moot. But I love watching movies in Blu-Ray. Planet Earth and Life are incredible looking.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Mar 19, 2012 -> 09:31 PM)
Oh yeah, and for those of you who do have The Show, how is your hitting doing? As I posted earlier, I was sent back down to AA after the Futures Game I made somehow in AAA. I actually ended the year on a good note. At one point I had like a .430 AVG over a 10-game span. Ended the year around .200 AVG in AA I think.

my average is starting to come down, I'm at .304 halfway through the season in the majors but i think its because I've been trying to play while fairly intoxicated.

off topic but my first at bat in the majors, i was in an xbox live party chat with T R U while playing PS3 and i hit a first pitch curveball HR off of Josh Beckett that cleared the Green Monster with ease. Talk about a boner-inducing experience. Especially with Carl's raspy manly cowboy texas voice speaking to me as i was playing.

QUOTE (flippedoutpunk @ Mar 19, 2012 -> 10:48 PM)
my average is starting to come down, I'm at .304 halfway through the season in the majors but i think its because I've been trying to play while fairly intoxicated.

off topic but my first at bat in the majors, i was in an xbox live party chat with T R U while playing PS3 and i hit a first pitch curveball HR off of Josh Beckett that cleared the Green Monster with ease. Talk about a boner-inducing experience. Especially with Carl's raspy manly cowboy texas voice speaking to me as i was playing.

Haha, that's awesome. I have yet to hit a HR in 1+ seasons. :(

Since my last post, my average is down to like .125. Uggghh. I really think once I work on my speed, my average will climb, because I hit a lot of balls down the 3B line that the 3rd basemen backhands and throw beats me by a step. Also, lots of balls past the pitcher that the IF range to get and barely get me out. Speed should help, then I'll work on power.

Oh, also, if this game had BABIP, mine would be historical. My average is SOO low, yet I think I have only struck out maybe 13 times in 1+ seasons. I make contact with everything, I just get very unlucky.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Mar 19, 2012 -> 09:53 PM)
Haha, that's awesome. I have yet to hit a HR in 1+ seasons. :(

Since my last post, my average is down to like .125. Uggghh. I really think once I work on my speed, my average will climb, because I hit a lot of balls down the 3B line that the 3rd basemen backhands and throw beats me by a step. Also, lots of balls past the pitcher that the IF range to get and barely get me out. Speed should help, then I'll work on power.

Oh, also, if this game had BABIP, mine would be historical. My average is SOO low, yet I think I have only struck out maybe 13 times in 1+ seasons. I make contact with everything, I just get very unlucky.

working on my plate vision has helped a ton. My plate coverage indicator almost looks like it takes up the entire strike zone, i get a lot more wheelhouse hits now

QUOTE (flippedoutpunk @ Mar 19, 2012 -> 11:08 PM)
working on my plate vision has helped a ton. My plate coverage indicator almost looks like it takes up the entire strike zone, i get a lot more wheelhouse hits now

Hmmm....I hadn't even considered that, actually. I always thought the CONTACT ratings changed the size of the coverage indicator, not the plate vision attribute.

But is it just me or is the DISCIPLINE rating pointless? I mean, I am the one who needs the discipline, not my player! I assume it helps w/ check swings, but I probably check my swing once or twice a month. Not worth it.

QUOTE (Papa Tru @ Mar 19, 2012 -> 07:08 PM)

The biggest difference is that the Show feels like baseball. I've played 2K10 extensively, I've also played 2K11. Those two games couldn't even come close to the Show in terms of gameplay and attention to detail. I don't imagine that 2K12 is all that different. IMO, the only thing that 2K has on the show is presentation (especially broadcasters) and better pitching controls. It can't touch the Show in terms of anything else.

Edited by chw42