2012 Video Game Thread

knightni

QUOTE (GoodAsGould @ Jan 27, 2012 -> 08:58 AM)
You can level WoW solo pretty easily, but yeah the endgame stuff you need guilds or at least a big raid of people to do stuff.... I can't say for sure but I'd be guessing Starwars would be similar that once you get endgame most of the content would be at very least groups. Also just like WoW there are quests on the way you cant do alone but mostly can pickup random groups to complete it which I'd imagine is same in Starwars. In WoW at least though all the stuff leveling wise that required groups was optional, it was fun but very easy to do majority of quests solo and might take a little more time could easily level all the way solo.

That's another difference from what I can tell. SWTOR doesn't really have big raids. The max group size is four, unless you're doing a PvP Warzone which is a completely different, unique instance. I imagine it's easier to find three random people than finding 20+ pubbies in WoW, but maybe not. Basically, SWTOR seems much less guild based, which I really like thus far.

• Replies 802
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Felix @ Jan 25, 2012 -> 03:32 PM)
Knights of the Old Republic is different that Star Wars: The Old Republic. KotOR is/was/will always be an amazing RPG made by Bioware back in 2003. I strongly recommend playing both KotOR and KotOR2, as they are both superb games, but they aren't the game that was just released :P

SWTOR is the MMO that was just released and it's pretty fun. You can play it as a conventional RPG (which I've been doing for the most part) and it's still a lot of fun. I've really liked the RPG elements of it, and I've never played an MMO before this one. The fact that you're playing online with other people hasn't been relevant to me unless I specifically want it to be relevant, which is nice.

I'm still pissed that KotOR3 never got made.

QUOTE (Felix @ Jan 27, 2012 -> 09:40 AM)
That's another difference from what I can tell. SWTOR doesn't really have big raids. The max group size is four, unless you're doing a PvP Warzone which is a completely different, unique instance. I imagine it's easier to find three random people than finding 20+ pubbies in WoW, but maybe not. Basically, SWTOR seems much less guild based, which I really like thus far.

Well there were end game instances that were just group based in WoW, but I forget that was 5 or 6 people instead of 4. Are you lvl 50 in SWTOR yet?

QUOTE (GoodAsGould @ Jan 28, 2012 -> 05:11 AM)
Well there were end game instances that were just group based in WoW, but I forget that was 5 or 6 people instead of 4. Are you lvl 50 in SWTOR yet?

Nah. I've got four characters between 24 and 33, but still deciding which to take to 50 first. It's certainly possible things are different in the endgame, but I don't know yet.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Jan 26, 2012 -> 05:32 AM)
Can't wait for Mass Effect 3 in a few weeks...

The demo's out this month right (or already is, I've seen articles up on IGN about it already).

I remember you saying lost though that you didn't want to read any spoilers etc. a while back.

I've gone down that path now myself, think I've probably read a little more than I would have wanted to going in, so will try to restrain myself for another month.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Feb 8, 2012 -> 09:28 PM)
Nope. Are they from the game, or is that some real child cartoon that someone made a fake episode for and incorporated Skyrim. But whoever made that is a really good job w/ those drawings/graphics.

Someone made a fake promo with these kids as various races/classes from the game

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Feb 8, 2012 -> 03:28 PM)
Nope. Are they from the game, or is that some real child cartoon that someone made a fake episode for and incorporated Skyrim. But whoever made that is a really good job w/ those drawings/graphics.

Ah

In the game the player is the Dovahkiin, or Dragonborn.

This was a spoof that made them the Dovahkids, like a Saturday morning cartoon.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Feb 8, 2012 -> 09:43 PM)
Anyone play Uncharted 3 yet? I got it as a rental. Looking forward to it.

I loved it as I LOVE Naughty Dog.

That being said, 2 was 1000 times better.

The graphics are better in 3 and so are the physics, but what it lacked was an "oh s*** I'm f***ed I'm f***ed I'm f***ed" moment, akin to the Train Yard or Shambala in Uncharted 2. Or the Tank. Or the Catacombs from 1.

That being said, it could be because I've played all the games and thus know what to do, but there was nothing that made me go "WHAT AM I GOING TO DO?!" and it saddened me as that's what I love about Naughty Dog games. You get to a point where there's no hope...and find a way.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Feb 8, 2012 -> 09:43 PM)
Anyone play Uncharted 3 yet? I got it as a rental. Looking forward to it.

The graphics are better in 3 and so are the physics, but what it lacked was an "oh s*** I'm f***ed I'm f***ed I'm f***ed" moment, akin to the Train Yard or Shambala in Uncharted 2. Or the Tank. Or the Catacombs from 1.

That being said, it could be because I've played all the games and thus know what to do, but there was nothing that made me go "WHAT AM I GOING TO DO?!" and it saddened me as that's what I love about Naughty Dog games. You get to a point where there's no hope...and find a way.

QUOTE (gatnom @ Feb 11, 2012 -> 06:43 AM)
So, has anybody played Curt Schilling's new game, Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning? I saw a guy playing it for a bit and the combat system looked pretty fun. I had no idea Schilling was a big rpg guy...

Oh yea he is. I remember back when I read an article in SI where he was making fun of Doug Glanville for being a "train" in everquest.

Edit: I thought it was SI, but it must have been through espn or something. Here is some of it

www.boston.com/news/globe/living/articles/2003/12/04/schillings_got_his_online_game_face_on/

So, has anybody played Curt Schilling's new game, Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning? I saw a guy playing it for a bit and the combat system looked pretty fun. I had no idea Schilling was a big rpg guy...

That's pretty funny, I had no idea about that. The game is getting some pretty good reviews:

http://www.metacritic.com/game/xbox-360/ki...malur-reckoning

• 2 weeks later...

I'm literally about to hook up the Xbox, the original, and pop in Tiger Woods 06. I bought a used copy for $4, I still have all my golfers saved on 5 memory cards. Yes, I've lost my mind.

I wonder how it will look on my 60 inch LCD?

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Feb 9, 2012 -> 02:54 AM)

Everything you said I agree 100%. It seemed like Uncharted expansion more than it's own game....but I still thought it was awesome.

Edited by onedude

A buddy of mine has it and said its really good. I will try it after he is done.

I finally downloaded Plants v. Zombies to my Xbox. Amazing that such a simple game with primitive graphics can be so addicting.