2012 Video Game Thread

knightni

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Jan 11, 2012 -> 11:38 PM)
A bunch of MLB '12 videos just came out. During one of the videos talking about full MOVE control, the guy demonstrating said you CAN mix and match, which is HUGE. So I can do a franchise of pitching/field w/ the Dualshock 3, and then swing the bat w/ the MOVE. Awesome news.

Also, they said there is a new mode called "Diamond Dynasty". The name is all these released, but they said it is "a new mode not seen in any other sports game, not football, hockey, or basketball." Said they have been working on it for 4 years now. I'm really pumped to hear what it is all about.

I don't know if I should get The Show for PS3 or get the Vita and get the Show on that. The move functionality is really intriguing, but I'd like to have a good excuse to get a Vita. :)

• Replies 802
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (That funky motion @ Jan 8, 2012 -> 04:00 PM)
NHL12 and MW3 on Xbox

Have you gotten into the EASHL or played any online team play yet in NHL12? If not you should really look into it. I started playing it in NHL10 and it has to be the coolest feature to a sports video game ever.

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Jan 12, 2012 -> 08:59 AM)
I'm about 900 hours into Skyrim and I keep getting more quests. Does this game ever end?

It randomly generates them.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jan 12, 2012 -> 12:52 PM)
I don't know if I should get The Show for PS3 or get the Vita and get the Show on that. The move functionality is really intriguing, but I'd like to have a good excuse to get a Vita. :)

I would even consider both if it's great...you can play the same season on both platforms, the data carries over.

QUOTE (DrunkBomber @ Jan 12, 2012 -> 02:41 PM)
Have you gotten into the EASHL or played any online team play yet in NHL12? If not you should really look into it. I started playing it in NHL10 and it has to be the coolest feature to a sports video game ever.

I'm really digging the HUT on 11 and 12. The team is always different and I get to play with a ton players, I wouldn't normally play with.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jan 23, 2012 -> 08:57 PM)
So part of me is wants to get Knights of the Old Republic. I hate the thought of having to put time into a MMORPG but at the same time Ive always wanted to be a jedi. Anyone try it?

Its like World of Warcraft in the future. So, if you liked WoW or EQ its your type of game.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jan 23, 2012 -> 08:57 PM)
So part of me is wants to get Knights of the Old Republic. I hate the thought of having to put time into a MMORPG but at the same time Ive always wanted to be a jedi. Anyone try it?

Knights of the Old Republic is different that Star Wars: The Old Republic. KotOR is/was/will always be an amazing RPG made by Bioware back in 2003. I strongly recommend playing both KotOR and KotOR2, as they are both superb games, but they aren't the game that was just released :P

SWTOR is the MMO that was just released and it's pretty fun. You can play it as a conventional RPG (which I've been doing for the most part) and it's still a lot of fun. I've really liked the RPG elements of it, and I've never played an MMO before this one. The fact that you're playing online with other people hasn't been relevant to me unless I specifically want it to be relevant, which is nice.

haha sorry about the misnaming.

And thanks Felix, thats what Im trying to find out. Back in the day of Everquest I spent some time in the MMORPG world and was just trying to see how grouping, etc would work. Im not sure if it has instances like Guild Wars or is more like EQ where its just large areas and random things. From what I read it seems questing is how you get experience. I also assume that they have some sort of "trade" system where you can craft items for sale?

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jan 25, 2012 -> 02:39 PM)
And thanks Felix, thats what Im trying to find out. Back in the day of Everquest I spent some time in the MMORPG world and was just trying to see how grouping, etc would work. Im not sure if it has instances like Guild Wars or is more like EQ where its just large areas and random things. From what I read it seems questing is how you get experience. I also assume that they have some sort of "trade" system where you can craft items for sale?

Basically, you gain most of your experience from questing and less from actual grinding (which, as far as I understand, is different than WOW). There are heroic quests that you generally need a group to complete, so if you're playing alone you generally won't be able to complete those. However, I haven't had much issue finding random groups of people to complete them, so that's always an issue if it interests you. You generally get better items/experience from the heroic quests, but with bigger groups the loot gets split up.

There is indeed a trade system where you can trade unnecessary items or crafted items for cash. Each faction (imperial/republic) can trade amongst themselves, or, if you're on a neutral planet, there's a trade system where you can trade with anyone (regardless of faction).

QUOTE (That funky motion @ Jan 17, 2012 -> 06:37 PM)
I'm really digging the HUT on 11 and 12. The team is always different and I get to play with a ton players, I wouldn't normally play with.

I used to like HUT but its such a money making racket for EA it got annoying. If you ever do get into EASHL and playing 6 on 6 I can point you in the direction of a cool league that Im in if you wanted to check it out.

QUOTE (DrunkBomber @ Jan 25, 2012 -> 04:48 PM)
I used to like HUT but its such a money making racket for EA it got annoying. If you ever do get into EASHL and playing 6 on 6 I can point you in the direction of a cool league that Im in if you wanted to check it out.

I just use the points that I win playing games. It is a racket though. Maybe I will check out EASHL. Is that where you use your Be A Player, Player?

QUOTE (DrunkBomber @ Jan 25, 2012 -> 04:48 PM)

FIFA has the exact same modes and UT is very annoying. I do like the evolution of first person sports video games though. Unfortunately they ruined FIFA by allowing the human GKs to all be superstars and basically unbeatable even on breakaways.

QUOTE (Felix @ Jan 25, 2012 -> 02:46 PM)
Basically, you gain most of your experience from questing and less from actual grinding (which, as far as I understand, is different than WOW). There are heroic quests that you generally need a group to complete, so if you're playing alone you generally won't be able to complete those. However, I haven't had much issue finding random groups of people to complete them, so that's always an issue if it interests you. You generally get better items/experience from the heroic quests, but with bigger groups the loot gets split up.

There is indeed a trade system where you can trade unnecessary items or crafted items for cash. Each faction (imperial/republic) can trade amongst themselves, or, if you're on a neutral planet, there's a trade system where you can trade with anyone (regardless of faction).

Nah its exactly like WoW, EQ is the one where you got all your experience from grinding. But if you have played EQ before Badger it plays very similar except that you get simple quests like kill 10 soldiers or some crap like that which makes leveling a lot faster. It has tradeskills etc. like EQ but in it you can actually send workers to go grab you materials etc. and the PVP is way more advanced than EQ.

QUOTE (GoodAsGould @ Jan 26, 2012 -> 03:06 AM)
Nah its exactly like WoW, EQ is the one where you got all your experience from grinding. But if you have played EQ before Badger it plays very similar except that you get simple quests like kill 10 soldiers or some crap like that which makes leveling a lot faster. It has tradeskills etc. like EQ but in it you can actually send workers to go grab you materials etc. and the PVP is way more advanced than EQ.

From what I understand, if you want to play WoW alone, you'd get s*** on pretty quickly (at least, according to a few friends of mine that play(ed) WoW religiously). From my experience with SWTOR, that's far from the case. I'm not in a guild and have no intention of joining a guild, and haven't had any issues whatsoever. That being said, I haven't gotten to the endgame yet, so maybe that changes.

Edited by Felix

QUOTE (Felix @ Jan 26, 2012 -> 12:41 PM)
From what I understand, if you want to play WoW alone, you'd get s*** on pretty quickly (at least, according to a few friends of mine that play(ed) WoW religiously). From my experience with SWTOR, that's far from the case. I'm not in a guild and have no intention of joining a guild, and haven't had any issues whatsoever. That being said, I haven't gotten to the endgame yet, so maybe that changes.

You can level WoW solo pretty easily, but yeah the endgame stuff you need guilds or at least a big raid of people to do stuff.... I can't say for sure but I'd be guessing Starwars would be similar that once you get endgame most of the content would be at very least groups. Also just like WoW there are quests on the way you cant do alone but mostly can pickup random groups to complete it which I'd imagine is same in Starwars. In WoW at least though all the stuff leveling wise that required groups was optional, it was fun but very easy to do majority of quests solo and might take a little more time could easily level all the way solo.

QUOTE (GoodAsGould @ Jan 27, 2012 -> 08:58 AM)
You can level WoW solo pretty easily, but yeah the endgame stuff you need guilds or at least a big raid of people to do stuff.... I can't say for sure but I'd be guessing Starwars would be similar that once you get endgame most of the content would be at very least groups. Also just like WoW there are quests on the way you cant do alone but mostly can pickup random groups to complete it which I'd imagine is same in Starwars. In WoW at least though all the stuff leveling wise that required groups was optional, it was fun but very easy to do majority of quests solo and might take a little more time could easily level all the way solo.

That was my big issue with the WoW endgame stuff. I played that game a ton for a couple of years, and while I had 5-6 other friends that played one night a week, we could never do the true endgame stuff because you need 25+. And public groups suck. Bunch of 14 year olds ruin it.