Official 2011-2012 NFL Thread

QUOTE (WHarris1 @ Jul 28, 2011 -> 01:24 PM)
I personally believe that not spending stupid amounts of money on WRs like Sidney Rice is a wise move for starters

Well, yeah. But at some point, you can't just sit back and let all your targets go elsewhere. I'm not really freaking out yet because I know these guys can't officially join the team until 8/4 anyway.

• Replies 7.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Jul 28, 2011 -> 01:30 PM)
Well, yeah. But at some point, you can't just sit back and let all your targets go elsewhere. I'm not really freaking out yet because I know these guys can't officially join the team until 8/4 anyway.

I guess I just feel like the Bears haven't really lost anyone that they considered to be "their targets". I could be completely wrong but I think they have a good grasp on things right now and they want to let things play out a bit more before picking up the OL they want and what not.

We shall see though, hopefully I'm not just being optimistic.

QUOTE (WHarris1 @ Jul 28, 2011 -> 01:31 PM)
I guess I just feel like the Bears haven't really lost anyone that they considered to be "their targets". I could be completely wrong but I think they have a good grasp on things right now and they want to let things play out a bit more before picking up the OL they want and what not.

We shall see though, hopefully I'm not just being optimistic.

They were definitely in on Sidney Rice. If they thought he was healthy enough, he was one of their top targets. And it seems as if Brad Smith is about to sign with the Bills also. AND Jason Babin just signed with the Eagles. AND Justin Durant signed with the Lions.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Jul 28, 2011 -> 01:33 PM)
They were definitely in on Sidney Rice. If they thought he was healthy enough, he was one of their top targets.

I definitely did not read anything to that effect, but I could give a f*** about losing a guy who gets 18 million guaranteed and has had one good year under his belt (while Favre was playing extremely well at QB).

That would be the epitome of unwise spending for the Bears right now.

Edited by WHarris1

I would be completely fine with losing Kruetz if we get a viable replacement, like Steve said, Shaun O'Hara possibly. I think I read that Brad Biggs said the Bears contacted Malcolm Floyd (6'5'' WR) who I would love for the bears to get, but he will command a lot of money. I know we will get nothing good back for Olsen so I am already acting like he is not part of the team.

Overall, I can understand the Bears being patient, but lets go.

QUOTE (WHarris1 @ Jul 28, 2011 -> 01:34 PM)
I definitely did not read anything to that effect, but I could give a f*** about losing a guy who gets 18 million guaranteed and has had one good year under his belt (while Favre was playing extremely well at QB).

That would be the epitome of unwise spending for the Bears right now.

Check the edit of my post. They've lost out on Rice, Babin, Smith and Durant. And if they were after Moss or Holmes, the both of them too.

Jason Babin is a 1 year wonder of a DE - unwise

Sidney Rice grossly overpaid 1 good year as a WR - unwise

Brad Smith 4 catches last year.

Durant is a potential loss but they may prefer Roach competing for a starting job for the price.

I don't see how they are missing out on anyone they actually wanted for the prices they got...

Edited by WHarris1

QUOTE (WHarris1 @ Jul 28, 2011 -> 03:01 PM)
Bills reach agreement with former Jets WR Brad Smith on a 4-yr, $15 million deal.

I'll once again sad I'm glad we "missed out"...

The Bills were one of the teams way way way under the floor right?

QUOTE (WHarris1 @ Jul 28, 2011 -> 01:37 PM)
Jason Babin is a 1 year wonder of a DE - unwise

Sidney Rice grossly overpaid 1 good year as a WR - unwise

Brad Smith 4 catches last year.

Durant is a potential loss but they may prefer Roach competing for a starting job for the price.

I don't see how they are missing out on anyone they actually wanted for the prices they got...

Any DE who can register 13 sacks knows what he's doing, and with Marinelli, it'd have been a wonderful fit. Sidney Rice is a stud. Period. Brad Smith is not a WR, he's a special teams ace.

QUOTE (WHarris1 @ Jul 28, 2011 -> 02:01 PM)
Bills reach agreement with former Jets WR Brad Smith on a 4-yr, $15 million deal.

I'll once again say I'm glad we "missed out"...

Eh, he wasn't going to be a WR anyway. Not a horrible contract for an elite special teamer.

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Jul 28, 2011 -> 02:03 PM)
If you have to sign 5 big free agents, your team is already screwed.

Watch how many free agents the Patriots, Colts and Packers sign this year.

Packers are going to lose a number of players. The Pats just got Albert Haynesworth.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Jul 28, 2011 -> 02:04 PM)
Any DE who can register 13 sacks knows what he's doing, and with Marinelli, it'd have been a wonderful fit. Sidney Rice is a stud. Period. Brad Smith is not a WR, he's a special teams ace.

Eh, he wasn't going to be a WR anyway. Not a horrible contract for an elite special teamer.

That's a lot of damn money for a special teams ace when you have a pretty good amount of holes to fill. The Bears have been extremely successful filling out special teams within the organization and draft.

Jason Babin played for 4 teams in 4 years (is 31 years old) while accomplishing nothing before going off for a big year. Sidney Rice has been on the field for one year and received 18 million guaranteed. I wouldn't have classified either of those signings as wise for the Bears given their current situation.

I would certainly consider Bushrod a miss since he plays you know a position the Bears are actually actively looking to address.

Edited by WHarris1

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Jul 28, 2011 -> 02:05 PM)
Packers are going to lose a number of players. The Pats just got Albert Haynesworth.

The Packers are going to lose three players and have replacements in the waiting. Haynesworth costs the Patriots a 5th round pick and not much more.

Edited by GoSox05

QUOTE (WHarris1 @ Jul 28, 2011 -> 02:07 PM)
That's a lot of damn money for a special teams ace when you have a pretty good amount of holes to fill. The Bears have been extremely successful filling out special teams within the organization and draft.

Jason Babin played for 4 teams in 4 years while accomplishing nothing before going off for a big year. Sidney Rice has been on the field for one year and received 18 million guaranteed. I wouldn't have classified either of those signings as wise for the Bears given their current situation.

Their current situation is that they have 35 million to spend. Babin would have been a great pickup, especially paired with Peppers. Then you can move Idonije back inside, re-sign Adams and voila, you're d-line is elite.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Jul 28, 2011 -> 02:11 PM)
Their current situation is that they have 35 million to spend. Babin would have been a great pickup, especially paired with Peppers. Then you can move Idonije back inside, re-sign Adams and voila, you're d-line is elite.

That is if you have no skepticism over a guy who did squat in the NFL until his 8th season after being drafted after being let go by numerous teams.

And it was reported that the Bears interest was as an "offensive playmaker". Giving 4 mil a year to a special teamer is questionable.

Edited by WHarris1

QUOTE (WHarris1 @ Jul 28, 2011 -> 02:07 PM)

Jason Babin played for 4 teams in 4 years (is 31 years old) while accomplishing nothing before going off for a big year. Sidney Rice has been on the field for one year and received 18 million guaranteed. I wouldn't have classified either of those signings as wise for the Bears given their current situation.

I would certainly consider Bushrod a miss since he plays you know a position the Bears are actually actively looking to address.

Are you saying the Bears are not looking to address the d-line or the WR position?

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jul 28, 2011 -> 02:12 PM)
If any other team got Haynseworth, I feel like they would be criticized for dealing with a bozo even just for a 5th round pick. Seems like because its the Patriots, its such a genius move.

They have had some success with this in the past. Moss being the most notable.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Jul 28, 2011 -> 02:14 PM)
Are you saying the Bears are not looking to address the d-line or the WR position?

Clearly spending big money on a top flight WR is not a pressing issue to the Bears, this has been reported numerous times in the last few days.

DL they are certainly looking to upgrade but clearly they didn't think a guy with 1 good year at the age of 31 was worth over 5 mil a year.

All I've tried to say since the beginning is that just because the Bears didn't deem an injury riddled Sidney Rice worth 18M guaranteed, spend 4 million a year on a potential offensive playmaker/ST ace, and pony up for Jason Babin who had his first good year last year doesn't mean they are sitting around with their thumbs in their ass ignoring the fact that they have holes.

Edited by WHarris1