Official 2011-2012 NFL Thread

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Jul 29, 2011 -> 06:21 AM)
http://espn.go.com/chicago/nfl/story/_/id/...ams-source-says

My god.. I thought you learned your lesson Steven.

I thought the Bears had interest in winning; I guess I was wrong.

LOL, just noticed your sig. Wow, still rocking it eh? That's over a year of prime real estate! :lolhitting

EDIT: Let me go and say that I'm disgusted that the Bears chased down Roy Williams with the amount of talent that's on the market.

Edited by Steve9347

• Replies 7.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (kjshoe04 @ Jul 29, 2011 -> 12:56 AM)
Well, i have never heard of the richest safety in the league. I'm not sure what that says about me.

IIRC San Diego gave the bears a big package in order to draft Weddle, and then people laughed at SD cuz they thought hed be there later in the draft. Turns out maybe they knew what they were doing

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jul 29, 2011 -> 06:55 AM)

LOL, just noticed your sig. Wow, still rocking it eh? That's over a year of prime real estate! :lolhitting

EDIT: Let me go and say that I'm disgusted that the Bears chased down Roy Williams with the amount of talent that's on the market.

Had its 1 year anniversary not too long ago!

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Jul 28, 2011 -> 11:53 PM)
The Texans look like they might finally be putting together the combination that will unlock the playoff safe IMO.

I feel like I hear that every year, lol. But I do agree that this is their best chance.

Oh, and f*** Roy Williams

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Jul 29, 2011 -> 12:15 AM)
The safety tandem is better with Wright at FS and Harris at SS than it was with Manning at SS and Harris at FS. Sure, they'll lose an elite return man, but that hasn't been problem area for the Bears since Glyn Milburn. With Hester and Knox, they'll be just fine.

Not to mention Manning is an awful Safety. Very athletic, but has a low football I.Q.

Edited by SoxAce

The two year deal isn't done with Williams yet. After losing Davis and Aromashodu in free agency, would the Bears consider spending some more to bring in Sims-Walker to complement Williams, or are they the same receiver?

QUOTE (MuckFinnesota @ Jul 29, 2011 -> 07:59 AM)
The two year deal isn't done with Williams yet. After losing Davis and Aromashodu in free agency, would the Bears consider spending some more to bring in Sims-Walker to complement Williams, or are they the same receiver?

they didnt "lose" much with those two. aromashadu basically quit the team because he didnt want to learn a different wr position, and davis was basically a special teams player

QUOTE (WHarris1 @ Jul 29, 2011 -> 09:28 AM)
Bears sign another former Cowboy WR/ST, Sam Hurd.

Good special teams player. But Roy Williams? He hasn't been good since 2007. He is inconsistent and has attitude problems. This signing is so meh. Mike Martz is living his career off having the best offensive talent ever assembled on one football team. He is a stubborn, relatively mediocre coach who does not adjust game plans or strategy based on opponents nor his own team's talent level.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Jul 29, 2011 -> 09:34 AM)
Good special teams player. But Roy Williams? He hasn't been good since 2007. He is inconsistent and has attitude problems. This signing is so meh. Mike Martz is living his career off having the best offensive talent ever assembled on one football team. He is a stubborn, relatively mediocre coach who does not adjust game plans or strategy based on opponents nor his own team's talent level.

I think it's interesting to note that the two years Roy Williams played under Martz's system he had his two best seasons. By far. 1300 yards one season and 800+ yards the next (in 12 games). This with an old Jon Kitna throwing him the ball.

I'm not saying this deal is the best, but he's the big type of receiver that most people wanted the Bears to target. I don't mind the signing based on his upside and the fact that Martz has shown the ability to get production out of him in the past.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jul 28, 2011 -> 02:16 PM)
Roy Williams maybe, but nothing else for WR

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jul 28, 2011 -> 02:22 PM)
The Bears will have no interest in Roy Williams.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jul 28, 2011 -> 03:00 PM)
I disagree, it was mentioned in the paper today that they may have interest.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jul 29, 2011 -> 06:55 AM)

Beggars really cant be choosers and with Roy Williams at least we get the size we have been asking for. Its well known that Williams had his best years with Martz and the Bears receiver coach is the guy that coached him at Texas, so really I am fine with the signing and hope he can show us some good things, remember he does have Cutler throwing to him, Cutler likes his big receivers.

I think Hurd is an awesome acquisition, and give the bears 5 viable targets at the WR position.

People can say they wanted Malcom Floyd, but in reality he would want like 7m a year. As for Sims-Walker it would have been nice, it would still be nice, but in the end it just seemed like the inter-personnel relationships won over.

http://thebiglead.com/index.php/2011/07/29...way-greg-olsen/

In a puzzling move, the Chicago Bears traded away one of their best catchers – and remember, they don’t have many, even with the addition of Roy Williams – and one of Jay Cutler’s best friends, Greg Olsen, to the Carolina Panthers for a player and pick (neither of which has been revealed). This line from Dan Pompei of the Chicago Tribune sums it up best:

The Bears drafted a thoroughbred and tried to turn him into a plow horse.

It’s a pretty savvy move by the Panthers, whose offensive coordinator, Rob Chudzinski, was the tight end coach at the U when Olsen was there. And the Panthers’ new head coach, Ron Rivera, was previously in San Diego, where Antonio Gates was basically the focal point of the passing offense. So the Panthers clearly think highly of utilizing the tight end. Between retaining DeAngelo Williams and Steve Smith, drafting Cam Newton and trading for Olson, the Panthers will certainly be improved on last year’s 2-14 record. The goal should be 5-6 wins.

Initially, I thought the Panthers would look to bolster their defensive line in the 2012 draft, but now I’m wondering if they don’t land a Top 10 pick and end up grabbing one of the many WR studs who will be available. If Cam Newton shows flashes that he could be a star, throw that guy a bone!

The Bears? I’ve said it before – it’s going to be a long season. (Note: I was one of the few that predicted they’d make the playoffs last year.) I think they start 0-3 and it snowballs into an awful season, with Cutler being the biggest scapegoat. And with Peppers and Urlacher not getting any younger, while the Packers and Lions look more and more impressive … I can see the Bears winning six games and finishing behind the Vikings. I can’t wait to see the NFL over/unders and take the under on the Bears.

Agreed. The Bears are gonna f***ing blow. 2007 all over again.

I like the idea of Roy Williams. Always thought Olsen was overhyped. I think on a one for one basis, this gives the best the first strong, big wide-out that they've had in a while. Whether it pans out, I don't know, but I liked what Cutler did with Marshall and I hope Williams can kind of be that "blanket" for Jay in Chicago.

That said, clearly losing Olsen makes the Bears worse as Davis and Spaeth are not better. Spaeth will be a serious upgrade over Mama though. Interested to see if we try to add a big name tackle/end, plus what we do at LB and oline. Seems to me we have some money to spend to address those areas.