Official 2011-2012 NFL Thread

• Replies 7.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2nd day in a row with tweets about Bears fans I believe.

I'm warming up to the idea of Sims-Walker. He'd be the DEBATABLY best receiver on the roster. EDIT: Hard to say he'd be close, I'd certainly take him, solid numbers with a below overage overall offense/QB. And f***, compared to these guys he'd seem like a big WR.

Edited by WHarris1

QUOTE (WHarris1 @ Jul 28, 2011 -> 10:36 PM)
2nd day in a row with tweets about Bears fans I believe.

I'm warming up to the idea of Sims-Walker. He'd be the best receiver on the roster.

And a day before that he said in a Tribune article that he thinks he would be an ideal fit for the Bears.

QUOTE (Jenksy Cat @ Jul 28, 2011 -> 11:03 PM)
So I admit to know very little on this...but why can't the Bears get Asomugha and just have an insane defense since the offense will suck again?

Because he's going to be getting $$$ in the upper teens.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Jul 28, 2011 -> 11:06 PM)
Because he's going to be getting $$$ in the upper teens.

What's our cap figure at? Thought we had a bunch to spend and they clearly don't give a s*** about the offense so why not try to to have the best D in the league.

QUOTE (Jenksy Cat @ Jul 28, 2011 -> 11:15 PM)
What's our cap figure at? Thought we had a bunch to spend and they clearly don't give a s*** about the offense so why not try to to have the best D in the league.

The Bears are about $35 mil under the cap. You don't want to spend half of that on 1 guy with so many other holes to fill.

Even further, in a Cover 2 defense, the CB's play a lot of zone coverage. You wouldn't be utilizing Asomugha properly unless he's playing man coverage.

QUOTE (Jenksy Cat @ Jul 28, 2011 -> 11:15 PM)

We could most definitely afford him, but it would be at the expense of depth. Overall, I think somebody needs to go wake Jerry Angelo up from his nap and tell him that free agency started.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Jul 28, 2011 -> 11:30 PM)
The Bears are about $35 mil under the cap. You don't want to spend half of that on 1 guy with so many other holes to fill.

Even further, in a Cover 2 defense, the CB's play a lot of zone coverage. You wouldn't be utilizing Asomugha properly unless he's playing man coverage.

Lovie is always saying that a good chunk of the time we aren't even running the cover 2 defense, it's just the perception people get.

QUOTE (GoodAsGould @ Jul 28, 2011 -> 11:33 PM)
Lovie is always saying that a good chunk of the time we aren't even running the cover 2 defense, it's just the perception people get.

Whether they run the cover 2 or lot or not, the CB's are in zone coverage most of the time. That's what matters.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Jul 28, 2011 -> 11:53 PM)
The Texans look like they might finally be putting together the combination that will unlock the playoff safe IMO.

I agree. With that defense, Foster keeps doing what he did last season, with Shaub and Johnson, I think they could do it this year.

Why did the Bears seem so uninterested in maintaining Manning? He seems like a pretty big loss as he really added something to the return game. But I am not sure if he was all that great on defense - they must really like Major Wright if they want to put him in right away.

QUOTE (MuckFinnesota @ Jul 29, 2011 -> 12:11 AM)
Why did the Bears seem so uninterested in maintaining Manning? He seems like a pretty big loss as he really added something to the return game. But I am not sure if he was all that great on defense - they must really like Major Wright if they want to put him in right away.

The safety tandem is better with Wright at FS and Harris at SS than it was with Manning at SS and Harris at FS. Sure, they'll lose an elite return man, but that hasn't been problem area for the Bears since Glyn Milburn. With Hester and Knox, they'll be just fine.

QUOTE (The '05 Sound @ Jul 28, 2011 -> 11:30 PM)
Good GQ article about agent david canter's minute by minute 72 hour frenzy that is being an nfl agent and making his client the richest safety in the league.

http://www.gq.com/sports/profiles/201107/e...e-agent-signing

Well, i have never heard of the richest safety in the league. I'm not sure what that says about me.

http://espn.go.com/chicago/nfl/story/_/id/...ams-source-says

Source: Roy Williams to join Bears

By Adam Schefter

ESPN.com

Archive

The Bears are reuniting former Dallas Cowboys wide receiver Roy Williams with Chicago offensive coordinator Mike Martz, his former head coach in Detroit, according to a team source.

Terms of the deal are not known.

The Bears and Williams have reached an agreement that will provide Chicago the type of receiver it has been seeking. Williams is hoping to play like he did in the early part of his career in Detroit, where he went to the Pro Bowl with Martz as one of his coaches.

Detroit traded Williams to Dallas, which released him Thursday, freeing him to strike a deal with Chicago. In 40 games with the Cowboys, Williams had 94 catches for 1,324 yards and 13 touchdowns.

Adam Schefter is ESPN's NFL Insider.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jul 28, 2011 -> 02:22 PM)
The Bears will have no interest in Roy Williams.

My god.. I thought you learned your lesson Steven.

Edited by SoxAce