Official 2011-2012 NFL Thread

• Replies 7.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (GoodAsGould @ Jul 31, 2011 -> 12:11 PM)
I disagree, Bears got a little lucky last season but they also didn't even try against GB in week17 and had a couple losses against the Seahawks/Redskins that more likely would be wins if replayed.

I think it's funny that bears fans say they didn't try in the last game against GB last season, then why did most if not all their starters play the entire game? if you really aren't trying then you don't play your top starters (cutler, urlacher, briggs, etc.) in the second half of that game period

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 31, 2011 -> 12:14 PM)
Yeah...that was an 11 fluke win team that could have been a 12 or 13 win team if they game-planned a little more effectively early in the season.

That said...they could have been a 15 win team if they had a moderately good O-Line, and they're a body short on there now.

I think they are at least two bodies short. We really don't have one above-average offensive lineman. Carimi could be that, but he is a rookie playing on the left side. Webb is huge, but still super raw. Williams is awful. Garza is decent, but old. Lance Louis blows. We really could use three more starting-level offensive linemen. One center, one guard and one swing tackle.

Jay Cutler can be an Pro Bowl quarterback, but he won't ever be more than average at the position with the way the Bears have built the team around him.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Jul 31, 2011 -> 02:07 PM)
I think they are at least two bodies short. We really don't have one above-average offensive lineman. Carimi could be that, but he is a rookie playing on the left side. Webb is huge, but still super raw. Williams is awful. Garza is decent, but old. Lance Louis blows. We really could use three more starting-level offensive linemen. One center, one guard and one swing tackle.

Jay Cutler can be an Pro Bowl quarterback, but he won't ever be more than average at the position with the way the Bears have built the team around him.

Personally I think a Carimi, Williams, Center, Garza, Webb line is at least the makings of a decent line, but there's no "Center" right now.

QUOTE (JUSTgottaBELIEVE @ Jul 31, 2011 -> 01:04 PM)
I think it's funny that bears fans say they didn't try in the last game against GB last season, then why did most if not all their starters play the entire game? if you really aren't trying then you don't play your top starters (cutler, urlacher, briggs, etc.) in the second half of that game period

You can play your starters but it's not the same when nothing is on the line win or lose. So no, they didn't 100% concede the game but I don't give it as much weight if the game had any meaning to the Bears.

Bears are close to a deal with Chris Spencer, according to a Seahawks' beat writer. At first, I was happy cuz I know he was highly regarded way back when. But then I actually read about what he has done since being in the NFL, and he is a bum, probably worse than Olin. He also can't stay healthy. Not a happy camper here.

Edited by maggsmaggs

BradBiggs Brad Biggs

#Bears could be close to signing former #Seahawks C Chris Spencer per @DannyONeil

22 minutes ago

Retweeted 27 times

»

Matt Barczak

b_zak Matt Barczak

RT @skjensen: Chris Spencer was a first round pick of Tim Ruskell, when he ran the Seahawks. Ruskell is now #Bears player personnel director

6 minutes ago

»

peggy kusinski

peggykusinski peggy kusinski

Amidst report #Bears close to signing C Chris Spencer (Sea) #Bears GM Angelo having animated conversations w/Lovie & Urlacher at practice

It's clear that everyone BUT the front office wants Olin back. I mean he is the team leader of the offense just as Urlacher is the leader of the defense. I think this will be a huge mistake, even if Olin is on the downturn of his career. Bears are so far under the cap, it makes no sense to be such penny pinchers on this one-year deal to Olin. Give him the extra $500K, and reward a guy who has been the leader of this franchise for the past decade.

Edited by maggsmaggs

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Jul 31, 2011 -> 02:48 PM)
It's clear that everyone BUT the front office wants Olin back. I mean he is the team leader of the offense just as Urlacher is the leader of the defense. I think this will be a huge mistake, even if Olin is on the downturn of his career. Bears are so far under the cap, it makes no sense to be such penny pinchers on this one-year deal to Olin. Give him the extra $500K, and reward a guy who has been the leader of this franchise for the past decade.

Someone pointed out over at Talkbears that $4 million for a C is a ton. Jeff Saturday makes half that.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 31, 2011 -> 01:53 PM)
Someone pointed out over at Talkbears that $4 million for a C is a ton. Jeff Saturday makes half that.

I'll admit it's an overpay, but it's not like the extra $500K is going to financially influence how the Bears can improve their team this year or the future. And it's only a one-year deal.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Jul 31, 2011 -> 02:55 PM)
I'll admit it's an overpay, but it's not like the extra $500K is going to financially influence how the Bears can improve their team this year or the future. And it's only a one-year deal.

Things like this are never about money, they wind up being about how the guy feels disrespected somehow because the team doesn't give in immediately to honor his years of service. The team is probably focused on the fact that he really wasn't all that good last year and not wanting to pay just out of what he did 5 years ago.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jul 31, 2011 -> 12:04 PM)
One thing is certain: Spencer is awful and a downgrade.

I don't know if I can directly say that. Spencer played pretty solid the 2nd half of last year. But given the short camp and the ridiculous amount of in-experience in our oline, I don't like bringing on someone new to anchor our line. Oline is past his prime and not very good, but he's still the leader, captain, and the guy that knows everyone.

I'd have much rather of had O'Hara. Problem is he's coming off of injuries. Hell, there aren't really any good C candidates out there.

Bears still have money to sign another olineman.

Spencer sounds better the more I read. He had some injuries, one back injury, plus a broken hand, but he toughed through them most of the time. Played 16 games in 3 of his 5 seasons, 14 in another season, and 11 in another. So not quite as injury prone as I initially feared.

Still, Kreutz was Mr. dependable.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 31, 2011 -> 02:19 PM)
Bears still have money to sign another olineman.

Spencer sounds better the more I read. He had some injuries, one back injury, plus a broken hand, but he toughed through them most of the time. Played 16 games in 3 of his 5 seasons, 14 in another season, and 11 in another. So not quite as injury prone as I initially feared.

Still, Kreutz was Mr. dependable.

I just think that both players are comparable in current ability, granted Spencer has considerably more upside. But Kreutz ruled that locker room and kept everyone in line. Spencer was not guaranteed a starting job this free agency, so what would have been the harm in signing both. Olin for the one-year deal like he wanted, and Spencer to a multi-year deal that is back loaded with the intention of him starting for this team in 2012 and beyond?

Edited by maggsmaggs

If I'm a Bears fan, I'm upset. Not because Olin isn't coming back, but because you're still getting a downgrade from Olin which is the reason why the front office didn't resign Olin, they didn't want a downgrade. I'm even more upset that the Bears are being huge penny pinchers, simply looking for bargains like they're the Florida Marlins of football, when they should be spending like the Yankees.

Why not spend the cash to get a legit line out there considering all of the good lineman who have got cut so far? Why not sign another legit WR? Being a Cowboys fan, I know Hurd is more of a 4th WR. The Bears should go after a Braylon Edwards and probably Randy Moss on top of that. They should've been in the Aso sweepstakes, and should still be looking for more corner help.

Bears are being one thing right now, and that's cheap!

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 31, 2011 -> 01:22 PM)
Spencer can also play guard though, so this could be a depth move and truly not indicate that Kreutz isn't still an option.

I wish you were right. Unfortunately, Lovie's comments on the signing of Spencer show Kreutz will not be back.

This front office is a joke. I've kept my mouth shut since free agency started b/c I kept hoping for the best, but enough is enough. Angelo doesn't deserve a job. He is terrrible.

QUOTE (dasox24 @ Jul 31, 2011 -> 02:43 PM)
This front office is a joke. I've kept my mouth shut since free agency started b/c I kept hoping for the best, but enough is enough. Angelo doesn't deserve a job. He is terrrible.

This is exactly how I feel. From Angelo's draft-day fiasco to his horrible drafting ability to his inability to improve the biggest two areas of need for this team (WR/OL), he is just a bad GM.

Edited by maggsmaggs

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Jul 31, 2011 -> 02:47 PM)
This is exactly how I feel. From Angelo's draft-day fiasco to his horrible drafting ability to his inability to improve the biggest two areas of need for this team (WR/OL), he is just a bad GM.

How he continues to neglect the offensive line is beyond me. Anybody can see that the OL was our biggest weakness. Carimi was a nice start to fixing it, but the fact that Angelo hasn't done anything since the draft to improve our OL is truly incompetence. Spencer, at best, is as good as Kreutz. But it's so much more than that - leadership, locker room presence, old-school toughness, knowledge of the offense and making calls on the line. That's why we needed Olin back.

I know some of you will say there are still quality Free Agents available, but that doesn't excuse the fact we haven't made a move. The earlier they sign, get a playbook, and begin to know the team, the better. There is no point in waiting. Quit worrying about the "market" setting the price and sign a damn guy.