Official 2011-2012 NFL Thread

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 31, 2011 -> 07:52 PM)
Kruetz may retire, says it wasn't about the money with the Bears. Seems to me he was hoping for a little more and wanted the Bears to enter a bidding war with themselves.

Wasn't the difference like 500k? Why's a guy that's made tens of millions quibbling over half a million?

• Replies 7.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Soxfest @ Jul 31, 2011 -> 06:50 PM)
I thought Olin's play had really went downhill last 2 years I have no problem he is gone.

This, and everything else that Balta said.

Are we really so worried about losing Kreutz's leadership? I loved Olin, but seriously . . . that whole heart and soul stuff is a bunch of bulls***. I think Olin was a 34 year old center who played his age last year. The line was bad, and his play was a big reason why. I can't imagine the line failing again solely because Olin's absence.

Moreover, I think Jay needs to take a step forward and become a leader on this team. With Kreutz on the team, Jay would never have the chance to become the leader of the offense. This is Jay's time to step up and prove himself or prove his critics right.

I am only upset that were not bringing in more OL. I think there is still a lot of room to improve this line before the season starts.

I am a big fan of the Barber signing. He has the chance to be a real weapon in this offense. He can fill the void Taylor and others were supposed to have filled for the past few years. Barber will most likely stay healthy with less carries and exposure as well.

“We brought in an experienced center that is still in the prime of his career. It’s the best we could do. That’s all we could do. Everybody has an opinion, they need this, they need that. Well, tell me who you want. Who should we look at? Give me names. Don’t tell me about our problems, give me solutions. I’m in the solution business. Not identifying the problems. You guys do a great job of identifying our problems. How about a few solutions?”

Yes, Jerry Angelo really is as clueless on this topic as it seems, even if he's right about Spencer. This is a guy who signs a Frank Omiyale and thinks that's doing something. It would not be that hard to name names (hey, Ryan Harris) and over the years people have been practically SCREAMING for him to fix problems in this area.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 31, 2011 -> 08:15 PM)
Exactly. If his intangibles were so off the charts, why was the line so bad? IMO, Olin was a good player for several years, but his current version won't be missed as dearly as many think.

You mean you won't miss the asshat personal foul penalties Olin had a tendency to take every other game? The crying from Bears fans and Kreutz's fanboys in the media is hilarious to me. 4 million dollars is A LOT for a center, and far more money than Kreutz deserves. He is on the downside of his career and had a big hand in one of the worst offensive lines in football last year.

Of course with all of that said Angelo is still a boob who is horrible at his job. We had arguably the worst offensive line in the league last year and his "upgrade" is a rookie tackle and a lateral move at center. What do the Bears plan on doing with all of the capspace they have available, is Jerry just going to stuff some more money into his mattress for a rainy day? Overall this has been an awful offseason for the Bears so far. Nothing but reclimation projects when this team should be win now.

We are going to get tired of seeing Cutler getting decapitated every third play, just like last year.

Edited by hawksfan61

Jerry Angelo needs to take PR courses or something. You don't say "this isn't a wake, no one died". It's so easy, just say "Olin has been a Hall of Fame player for the Bears for over a decade, but it was time to move in another direction and we thank him for everything he contributed to the Bears."

To me, Olin Kreutz, clearly enjoyed the lockout and wanted to retire, you don't leave $4 million on the table if you want to play. Jeff Saturday makes $2.5 million for crying out loud. The Bears did everything right in this situation save sending that blowhard Angelo out there to make it seem worse than it is.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Aug 1, 2011 -> 09:05 AM)
Jerry Angelo needs to take PR courses or something. You don't say "this isn't a wake, no one died". It's so easy, just say "Olin has been a Hall of Fame player for the Bears for over a decade, but it was time to move in another direction and we thank him for everything he contributed to the Bears."

To me, Olin Kreutz, clearly enjoyed the lockout and wanted to retire, you don't leave $4 million on the table if you want to play. Jeff Saturday makes $2.5 million for crying out loud. The Bears did everything right in this situation save sending that blowhard Angelo out there to make it seem worse than it is.

To be fair to JA, he DID say that, like 4 times during the press conference. I'd imagine the 5th time he got tired of answering the same way, and wanted to make a point that the entire franchise isn't dead just because they didn't bring back one guy.

I think his line was something like, "years from now you'll remember the name Olin Kreutz and you won't remember mine, and that's the way it's supposed to be."

Stealing a post from myself over at Talkbears. I contend that both of these points are true and this is how to view the Bears' O-Line right now.

First, the positive. The Bears offensive line situation is significantly better than it was last year.

The weakest point in the Bears O-line last year, by far, and it wasn't even close, was Frank Omiyale. Omiyale is a serviceable backup, but he was an expert at the "Ole!" move of letting the D-line past him last year. Getting him out of the starting lineup, and especially out of the starting left tackle spot, is the single biggest move the Bears could have made to improve that line. Even if he's replaced by a 7th round pick.

The Bears have also made other upgrades to their protection. Williams and Webb will be in their 2nd years under Tice, which hopefully will also have improvement. Carimi appears to be a solid building block. The Bears also appear to like Louis. Garza is back, although his health was an issue last year, he was solid when he was in there. Although Kreutz may have been an "emotional leader" or whatever, he was not a strong, effective blocker last year, so replacing him is at worst a lateral move.

Furthermore, the Bears have also upgraded their blocking at TE, getting rid of Manumalueuseless, whose failure as a blocker last year caused Olsen to be stuck in as the blocking TE more than necessary. They brought in a blocking TE, and moved Olsen so that the TE can be a mostly blocking position, with Davis used as an occasional receiving threat.

All of these moves are upgrades, or at the worst lateral moves. It cannot be said that the Bears made no moves to upgrade the Line this year.

Now, onto the 2nd point: The Bears have also done the Bear Minimum that they could do to upgrade that line. No additional high-promise/high money veterans have been brought in. There is no obvious anchor to that line. The Bears have placed a lot of trust in Tice and Martz to be able to use systems and schemes to get guys who haven't been together very long to gel as a solid, effective group.

They are still gambling, and the result could still be one of the league's worst lines.

If the Bears win a couple of their gambles, they could have a solid line, maybe even one of the leagues' better lines considering that there is a lot of mass on it this year. If the Bears lose a gamble or someone gets hurt, then they're going to regret not having spent more to upgrade that line.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 1, 2011 -> 09:46 AM)
They are still gambling, and the result could still be one of the league's worst lines.

If the Bears win a couple of their gambles, they could have a solid line, maybe even one of the leagues' better lines considering that there is a lot of mass on it this year. If the Bears lose a gamble or someone gets hurt, then they're going to regret not having spent more to upgrade that line.

It's this point that irks me so much about the Bears' front office. Yes, the talent is clearly there on the offensive line, but talent does not equal productive. There is absolutely no reason the Bears should go into an NFL season, banking on "if it all goes right, this line becomes serviceable or solid." This is the NFL, and nothing ever goes according to plan. They needed to bring at least a couple veteran free agents in as depth guy who could start if necessary. The Bears are one injury away on the O-line from just a horrible situation (and you know that injury will happen). Sure we have three first-round picks starting on the offensive line (Carimi, Spencer and Williams), but one hasn't proven anything in the NFL, and the other two are horrible busts. The other two guys we are counting on are a 2010 seventh-round pick who is still incredibly raw and Garza who is solid, but aging.

I think Angelo has done a solid job on the defensive side of the ball except neglecting cornerback thus far, but it boggles my mind that the organization feels the worst offensive line by far in the NFL last year can be fixed by adding a rookie tackle and a center who Seattle couldn't wait to see leave. Jay Cutler can be a really really damn good NFL quarterback, but the Bears refuse to give him the necessary help in that endeavor. So who are the back-ups even? Lance Louis? Frank Omiyale? Then who? I mean, not only do we have a bad starting core, but we have absolutely no depth whatsoever. The Bears just better hope this isn't the year where the D is struck by injuries.

Edited by maggsmaggs

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Aug 1, 2011 -> 11:05 AM)
Packers agreed to terms with WR James Jones on a three-year contract.

Philly better get some more cornerbacks.

According to STATS LLC, Asomugha allowed 52 receptions and one touchdown the past three seasons, burnishing his reputation as one of the top shutdown cornerbacks in the NFL.

That's less than 20 receptions per season. That guy is filthy.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Aug 1, 2011 -> 11:13 AM)
That's less than 20 receptions per season. That guy is filthy.

When was talking about joining the Jets, I was thinking how the hell will anyone pass against them with Revis and Asomugha? I actually really wanted to see that.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Aug 1, 2011 -> 11:06 AM)
It's this point that irks me so much about the Bears' front office. Yes, the talent is clearly there on the offensive line, but talent does not equal productive. There is absolutely no reason the Bears should go into an NFL season, banking on "if it all goes right, this line becomes serviceable or solid." This is the NFL, and nothing ever goes according to plan. They needed to bring at least a couple veteran free agents in as depth guy who could start if necessary. The Bears are one injury away on the O-line from just a horrible situation (and you know that injury will happen). Sure we have three first-round picks starting on the offensive line (Carimi, Spencer and Williams), but one hasn't proven anything in the NFL, and the other two are horrible busts. The other two guys we are counting on are a 2010 seventh-round pick who is still incredibly raw and Garza who is solid, but aging.

I think Angelo has done a solid job on the defensive side of the ball except neglecting cornerback thus far, but it boggles my mind that the organization feels the worst offensive line by far in the NFL last year can be fixed by adding a rookie tackle and a center who Seattle couldn't wait to see leave. Jay Cutler can be a really really damn good NFL quarterback, but the Bears refuse to give him the necessary help in that endeavor. So who are the back-ups even? Lance Louis? Frank Omiyale? Then who? I mean, not only do we have a bad starting core, but we have absolutely no depth whatsoever. The Bears just better hope this isn't the year where the D is struck by injuries.

I don't really follow this logic... most free agents are guys other teams didn't want.