Official 2011-2012 NFL Thread

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Aug 2, 2011 -> 12:41 PM)
Where was Desmond this past year? Or was he still on the Bears. I don't really remember him being cut.

He was on the Bears and inactive most of the season. His contract ended and it was assumed that since he obviously went unused all last season that he would be gone. The Bears are rather weird.

• Replies 7.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Aug 2, 2011 -> 12:41 PM)
Where was Desmond this past year? Or was he still on the Bears. I don't really remember him being cut.

I'm a huge Desmond Clark fan. He's obviously past his prime but he's a high character guy who I always enjoyed having on the Bears.

Up until last season he was by far the most consistent receiving option we had for years.

Im assuming you have him all figured out dont you.

I dont, but so much has been written about the guy that it should be pretty common knowledge. The guy is a borderline recluse who doesn't like playing the media game.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Aug 2, 2011 -> 09:04 AM)
So Gabe Carimi is not officially the RT and Webb is the LT. There were definitely positives and negatives both ways here. Webb is more athletically suited for the LT role, but he was terrible last year at RT, which is an easier position. And without an off-season, I wonder how much he could have improved over the summer. Then again, Carimi is a potential All-Pro at RT whereas at LT, he probably just solid.

Jay, I am sorry for what you are going to endure (again) this year.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Aug 2, 2011 -> 11:29 AM)
It's scary how much the bolded sounds like Bears logic with regards to the offensive line. "This guy absolutely sucks at RT, so lets move him to protecting the QB's blind side. It'll work great!"

Webb, actually, doesn't suck. I mean yeah he did to start the year, but he was very raw. He was a big-time high school recruit and went to Texas but lost his academic eligibility, so he transferred to a small school and didn't face D-1 competition so never got refined. Now he has proper coaching. He really started to improve as last year went on and started to find himself. The tools and pedigree are there (I think it's his cousin, his cousin is Richmond Webb, who was an All-Pro lineman for the Dolphins). So yeah, he was drafted in the 7th round, but we're not talking about a scrub. We're talking about a guy who needed some time, some conditioning, and some quality coaching.

So if I had to guess, I'd say the line to start the season will be Webb-Williams-Spencer-Garza-Carimi. That's actually not bad, and is better than last year. The difference here is that most of the guys are young, athletic, BIG, and on the right side of 30.

Everyone likes to hate Chris Williams because he hasn't amounted to s*** as a tackle, but he's not bad as a guard. He's a big guy, and really MOVES. It wasn't a coincidence that all of a sudden the Bears started running the ball after the bye week last year. That was when Williams moved to the inside and Garza came back from surgery. Everybody kind of retroactively credits this to Lovie, or whoever, sitting Martz down and saying "run the ball" but this is an overly simplistic way of looking at it... before that Forte was getting like 1.5 yards a carry, and all of a sudden it skyrockets to about 4.5 yards a carry or something. Because he was getting holes and it started working. Not because Martz said "ok, I'll just keep running these s***ty plays for no gain"

Oh also last year the Bears had a bunch of midget track star WRs who could come up with big plays but were pretty useless in the red zone when the field shrank. Greg Olsen was pretty much the only viable red zone option for 2 seasons, and also they couldn't score on 1st and goal from the 1 (but yeah Kreutz was sooo valuable!). Now they have a bigger, meaner line, even if they haven't proved a damn thing yet, and they have Williams, Davis, and Spaeth as red zone options with the bruiser Barber to spell Forte... that should improve the red zone efficiency quite a bit.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Aug 2, 2011 -> 09:30 PM)
Webb, actually, doesn't suck. I mean yeah he did to start the year, but he was very raw. He was a big-time high school recruit and went to Texas but lost his academic eligibility, so he transferred to a small school and didn't face D-1 competition so never got refined. Now he has proper coaching. He really started to improve as last year went on and started to find himself. The tools and pedigree are there (I think it's his cousin, his cousin is Richmond Webb, who was an All-Pro lineman for the Dolphins). So yeah, he was drafted in the 7th round, but we're not talking about a scrub. We're talking about a guy who needed some time, some conditioning, and some quality coaching.

So if I had to guess, I'd say the line to start the season will be Webb-Williams-Spencer-Garza-Carimi. That's actually not bad, and is better than last year. The difference here is that most of the guys are young, athletic, BIG, and on the right side of 30.

Everyone likes to hate Chris Williams because he hasn't amounted to s*** as a tackle, but he's not bad as a guard. He's a big guy, and really MOVES. It wasn't a coincidence that all of a sudden the Bears started running the ball after the bye week last year. That was when Williams moved to the inside and Garza came back from surgery. Everybody kind of retroactively credits this to Lovie, or whoever, sitting Martz down and saying "run the ball" but this is an overly simplistic way of looking at it... before that Forte was getting like 1.5 yards a carry, and all of a sudden it skyrockets to about 4.5 yards a carry or something. Because he was getting holes and it started working. Not because Martz said "ok, I'll just keep running these s***ty plays for no gain"

QUOTE (lostfan @ Aug 2, 2011 -> 09:36 PM)
Oh also last year the Bears had a bunch of midget track star WRs who could come up with big plays but were pretty useless in the red zone when the field shrank. Greg Olsen was pretty much the only viable red zone option for 2 seasons, and also they couldn't score on 1st and goal from the 1 (but yeah Kreutz was sooo valuable!). Now they have a bigger, meaner line, even if they haven't proved a damn thing yet, and they have Williams, Davis, and Spaeth as red zone options with the bruiser Barber to spell Forte... that should improve the red zone efficiency quite a bit.

Absolutely spot on with both these posts.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Aug 2, 2011 -> 10:22 PM)
Yes Bears, go get Lofa Tatupu!

+1. That would make one hell of a linebacker unit. Although we'd be replacing one Hawaiian (Tinaisamoa) with another (Tatupu). lol

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Aug 2, 2011 -> 10:42 PM)
The Bears need to be checking in on the price for Asante Samuels. And it also seems that the Giants would take a 2nd for Osi Umenyiora. I'd be all over that.

I'd give up a first for Osi in a heart beat.

Peppers and Umenyiora? Sign me up.

I need to go the Bears camp soon, since it's down the street.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Aug 2, 2011 -> 08:30 PM)

I agree with most of this. The one point I disagree with is Webb. I mean, you're right he was a big time HS guy and is young enough to get better. However, I just don't see it. My thoughts on him really aren't related to the round he was picked in either, I just don't like what I see watching him. I've been wrong many times before though.

I actually think Spencer will be a modest upgrade over Olin, and that Williams at guard will be solid this year. I really like 3/5 of the offensive line this year though (not a Garza fan either), and think it will be improved. I just have a ton of concern about Garza and especially Webb, which is why I'd give McKinnie a call or 7. I'm glad Tatupu and the Bears have talked, and would hope they also call the Giants about Osi.

Aside from cutting Tatupu, not resigning Hasselbeck and signing Tarvaris Jackson, I'm loving everything Seattle is doing. I've been waiting for years and years for them to be aggressive in signing quality players.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Aug 3, 2011 -> 12:51 AM)
I actually think Spencer will be a modest upgrade over Olin, and that Williams at guard will be solid this year. I really like 3/5 of the offensive line this year though (not a Garza fan either), and think it will be improved. I just have a ton of concern about Garza and especially Webb, which is why I'd give McKinnie a call or 7. I'm glad Tatupu and the Bears have talked, and would hope they also call the Giants about Osi.

Garza was, at least IMO, the Bears best O-lineman last year (Tallest midget yes I know). It's also not a coincidence that he returned from being injured when the Bears O-line started to pick up its performance as well.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Aug 2, 2011 -> 11:40 PM)
+1. That would make one hell of a linebacker unit. Although we'd be replacing one Hawaiian (Tinaisamoa) with another (Tatupu). lol

Tatupu is from San Diego but grew up in Massachusetts so I don't think he's Hawaiian. Rather, he's Samoan.

Edited by whitesoxbrian

Yes Bears, go get Lofa Tatupu!

And it also seems that the Giants would take a 2nd for Osi Umenyiora. I'd be all over that.

I approve both of these ideas.

I hate how Brad Biggs keeps saying the Bears won't go after Osi b/c they wouldn't lock up that much money at one position. Who give a s*** where we spend our money? If we're going to spend jack squat on the OL, then we might as well spend it elsewhere. And with Peppers/Osi coming off both edges, game over. Our D-Line would wreck so much havoc.

QUOTE (dasox24 @ Aug 3, 2011 -> 10:43 AM)

I hate how Brad Biggs keeps saying the Bears won't go after Osi b/c they wouldn't lock up that much money at one position. Who give a s*** where we spend our money? If we're going to spend jack squat on the OL, then we might as well spend it elsewhere. And with Peppers/Osi coming off both edges, game over. Our D-Line would wreck so much havoc.

Yup, if you're not going to spend that money in other areas, then you may as well pay that money in the area you are willing to pay for. But I think the Bears will be to cheap anyways to do this type of move.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Aug 3, 2011 -> 10:53 AM)
Yup, if you're not going to spend that money in other areas, then you may as well pay that money in the area you are willing to pay for. But I think the Bears will be to cheap anyways to do this type of move.

We may need to continue to strengthen our D-Line to match up with other teams in our division. This would be a very smart move.

QUOTE (dasox24 @ Aug 3, 2011 -> 10:43 AM)

Peppers was awesome last year, without a good partner in crime. Imagine how much more dominant he could be if teams had to worry about Osi as well.

Apparently my boy Sanzenbacher has been impressing coaches with his hands and route running. I think he'll see the field quite a bit this season.

Inside the Bears

Rookie WR Sanzenbacher making good impression

By Mark Potash on August 1, 2011 11:40 PM | 3 Comments | No TrackBacks

As an undrafted rookie free agent trying to make the team without any offseason workouts, Bears wide receiver Dane Sanzenbacher has one one thing in mind when he comes to practice: ''Do something they're going to remember.''

The 5-11, 180-pound rookie from Ohio State is doing just that. Sanzenbacher earned reps with the first-team in Monday night's practice and will get more after catching everything that came his way.

''He's got a chance. He's a player,'' Bears wide receivers coach Darryl Drake said. ''You get an opportunity to make plays and that's what he does. He's steady. I've been impressed with what I've seen so far from him. We're going to keep giving him opportunities.''

Sanzenbacher had 55 receptions for 948 yards (17.2 yards per catch) and 11 touchdowns at Ohio State last season and was a first-team all-Big Ten pick. It looks like he's responded to the challenge of the next level and raised his game since coming to the Bears.

''I haven't had a choice but to raise my game,'' he said. ''Having everything shrunk down with the lockout, it's even more limited time for rookies to get reps. And you've got to make the best of your opportunities. You want to show them you'll do whatever it takes to make this team. That's what I'm trying to do every day.''

''He's a good football player,'' Smith said. ''We want to get the players in game-type situations. He's making the most of it. We all noticed him tonight.''

Sanzenbacher isn't big by any stretch and his reported 40 speed of 4.56 is far from blazing for a 5-11 wide receiver. What does he do well?

''His routes are good. They're solid,'' Drake said. ''He's where he's supposed to be. He doesn't let me screaming and hollering at him faze him. He just comes out and works. As long as he continues to do that he should be OK.''

The Bears liked Sanzenbacher when they did their draft evaluations, but had priorities ahead of a wide receiver in the draft. Sanzenbacher reportedly had 25 NFL teams contact him and was offered more money by a couple of them, but chose the Bears.

''I didn't come to Chicago because I thought it was my best chance to play in the NFL. Or if it didn't work here I could get somewhere else. It was because I wanted to make this team. I felt like, 'I'm undrafted and I get a choice. I want to go to a team that I wanted to make and play for them.' And I felt this was it.''

Why the Bears?

''I don't know. I was never a big NFL fan growing up. I never had a team I followed or anything. I think when you just look at a team's personality, I think there's a certain toughness about Chicago and a certain grit and all that. And I think it's a team that is on the brink of being great and winning a championship and I want to be a part of that.''

Edited by RockRaines

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Aug 3, 2011 -> 11:29 AM)
Peppers was awesome last year, without a good partner in crime. Imagine how much more dominant he could be if teams had to worry about Osi as well.

I agree with you, but we know the Bears. They are counting on Akoye, Gholston, Adams, and Wooten to step up, regardless of whether it is warranted or not

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Aug 3, 2011 -> 11:32 AM)
I agree with you, but we know the Bears. They are counting on Akoye, Gholston, Adams, and Wooten to step up, regardless of whether it is warranted or not

I think they will find out shortly that Gholston sucks balls.