Official 2011-2012 NFL Thread

• Replies 7.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

TO simply got hurt. I imagine he's going to do everything in his power to make it back. He's still a productive player (though may not be after this injury).

I don't think I've ever seen someone drop off as quickly as Moss did in any sport ever, and that includes baseball before and after steroids.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Aug 1, 2011 -> 02:47 PM)
TO simply got hurt. I imagine he's going to do everything in his power to make it back. He's still a productive player (though may not be after this injury).

I don't think I've ever seen someone drop off as quickly as Moss did in any sport ever, and that includes baseball before and after steroids.

Adam Dunn?

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Aug 1, 2011 -> 02:28 PM)
It's weird that two of the best wideouts ever (Terrell Owens and Randy Moss) are flaming out like this, but I guess it makes sense. If they are no longer elite, why put up with their bs?

yep. guys with enormous egos continue to have those egos despite their skills declining

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/...ply-until-2013/

Per-team spending minimum doesn’t apply until 2013

One of the highlights of the labor deal, from the perspective of the players, comes from the requirement that each team muat spend at least 89 percent of the salary cap in cash on an annual basis. “We cannot have teams like KC spend only 67% of the cap like they did in 2009,” Saints quarterback Drew Brees wrote in an e-mail to his teammates. “It doesn’t matter how high the cap is if they are only going to spend that much. So with a minimum in place, it requires all teams to be at or above that minimum. More money in players pockets.”

The players got what they wanted. But it doesn’t apply until 2013.

Yes, for 2011 and 2012 no minimum cash spending requirement applies on a per-team basis. We were first alerted to this reality on Thursday morning, during a weekly segment with Steve Davis and Ed Norris of 105.7 the Fan in Baltimore. Davis said that Ravens president Dick Cass had explained the situation in a recent on-air interview, and Davis forwarded the audio to us later in the day.

The summary of the final deal that we obtained on Monday confirms that, indeed, the “minimum team cash spend” applies on a four-year basis from 2013 through 2016, and from 2017 through 2020. No minimum per-team expenditure applies for 2011 and 2012.

Still, on a league-wide basis, the labor deal requires the NFL to spend 99 percent of the salary cap in cash in 2011 and 2012.

So what happens if too many teams spend so little that the league isn’t able to average 99 percent of the cap in actual cash spent? NFL general counsel Jeff Pash, via NFL spokesman Greg Aiello, explained Friday night that the league would be required to pay the difference to the players.

That said, the league doesn’t believe that it will be a problem, even if teams like the Bucs and Bengals and Chiefs decide to spend as little as possible over the next two years. Based on the money spent to date, the league thinks that the average expenditure of $119 million per team easily will be met.

Remember, it’s not cap space but cash spent. So when a team like the Panthers gives defensive end Charles Johnson a $30 million signing bonus on a six-year deal, only $5 million counts against the cap — but $30 million counts against the league’s total spending requirement of $3.8 billion.

The more relevant point, for the next two years, is that teams like the Bucs, Bengals, and Chiefs can choose to stay as far below the salary cap as they want.

Putting a salary floor that high in with a summer this short wouldn't have made a lot of sense. I'm a little surprised it won't be in place for 2012, but it might be better to wait until 2013 to let the cheaper teams gradually increase their payroll to that point if they choose to go that route, rather than signing a ton of big deals all at once in 2013.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 1, 2011 -> 02:57 PM)
Adam Dunn?

Guys have had bad seasons before. If Adam Dunn comes out (presumably with a new hitting coach and having worked a bit harder in the offseason) and does the same thing next year, then I'd pay attention. I don't think he's done yet.

QUOTE (DukeNukeEm @ Aug 1, 2011 -> 10:49 PM)
It amazes me how little people understand Randy Moss.

Enlighten us.

So Gabe Carimi is not officially the RT and Webb is the LT. There were definitely positives and negatives both ways here. Webb is more athletically suited for the LT role, but he was terrible last year at RT, which is an easier position. And without an off-season, I wonder how much he could have improved over the summer. Then again, Carimi is a potential All-Pro at RT whereas at LT, he probably just solid.

Jay, I am sorry for what you are going to endure (again) this year.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Aug 2, 2011 -> 08:04 AM)

Yup, pretty sad of the Bears to ignore such an obvious hole when so many options were available to fix the situation.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Aug 2, 2011 -> 07:04 AM)
So Gabe Carimi is not officially the RT and Webb is the LT. There were definitely positives and negatives both ways here. Webb is more athletically suited for the LT role, but he was terrible last year at RT, which is an easier position. And without an off-season, I wonder how much he could have improved over the summer. Then again, Carimi is a potential All-Pro at RT whereas at LT, he probably just solid.

It's scary how much the bolded sounds like Bears logic with regards to the offensive line. "This guy absolutely sucks at RT, so lets move him to protecting the QB's blind side. It'll work great!"

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Aug 2, 2011 -> 10:18 AM)
The Bears are wrapping up a deal with... Desmond Clark.

Where was Desmond this past year? Or was he still on the Bears. I don't really remember him being cut.

I'm a huge Desmond Clark fan. He's obviously past his prime but he's a high character guy who I always enjoyed having on the Bears.