Official 2011-2012 NFL Thread

• Replies 7.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Connor is NOT coming to Chicago. The Bears will only receive a 3rd round pick for Olsen.

QUOTE (knightni @ Jul 28, 2011 -> 07:09 PM)
Carimi better perform this year or the Bears are in deep.

Agree. I'm pretty sure keeping Kreutz and getting Carimi a contract are the 2 biggest moves the Bears can make right now.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Jul 28, 2011 -> 07:24 PM)
Olsen for a 3rd rounder. That's it. No player coming to CHI.

That hurts a bit, I wasnt expecting much but Connor could have filled a need, oh well.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Jul 28, 2011 -> 06:47 PM)
I disagree. FYI, Delhomme used to be pretty good.

I'm only talking about the last year in Carolina when Smith's stats started decreasing. Did you forget about this game?

3 years ago, Smith had a career high in yards per reception. The next two seasons it decreased as Delhomme fell apart and Clausen just sucked.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jul 28, 2011 -> 08:31 PM)
A 3rd rounder is good value for Olsen. The problem is I don't see why he was traded? Oh yeah, cause Martz is the boss.

If you're not going to use him, then get value for him. They did.

I don't see why people are so up in arms about it.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Jul 28, 2011 -> 07:48 PM)

If you're talking about not getting why the Bears fans are up in arms about Olsen, I agree. I can see why people are getting concerned about the Bears general lack of activity so far though. They have money to spend after being so close to the Super Bowl last year, and appear to be asleep at the wheel.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Jul 28, 2011 -> 09:05 PM)
If you're talking about not getting why the Bears fans are up in arms about Olsen, I agree. I can see why people are getting concerned about the Bears general lack of activity so far though. They have money to spend after being so close to the Super Bowl last year, and appear to be asleep at the wheel.

Yes and yes.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Jul 28, 2011 -> 08:48 PM)

I get that they won't use him, I just thought he was a solid, big option that could still be useful, especially considering the weakness of the Bears WR core. Then again, Kellen Davis seems capable of doing most of the same stuff. I just hope the money saved helps get a WR, maybe Malcolm Floyd?

Also, I just hope Cutler can get over losing his girlfriend and boyfriend in the same week!

Except when the Bears are trash this year because they wont get half as lucky as they did last season, a bunch of assistants get fired and the Lovie/Jerry regime is back on the hotseat we'll look back to July 28th 2011 and ask "Why did we get rid of a good TE when all we got was a 3rd rounder spent on a slow white guy who projects at best to special teams in the NFL?". Angelo, Martz and Lovie all know their fates are intertwined; and if it means gutting the team of good talent to save each other's ass they'll do it.

The Bears are due for a stretch of legendarily bad football when our best defenders all get old and contracts of the guys who still produce are nearing their end.

QUOTE (DukeNukeEm @ Jul 28, 2011 -> 09:51 PM)
Except when the Bears are trash this year because they wont get half as lucky as they did last season, a bunch of assistants get fired and the Lovie/Jerry regime is back on the hotseat we'll look back to July 28th 2011 and ask "Why did we get rid of a good TE when all we got was a 3rd rounder spent on a slow white guy who projects at best to special teams in the NFL?". Angelo, Martz and Lovie all know their fates are intertwined; and if it means gutting the team of good talent to save each other's ass they'll do it.

The Bears are due for a stretch of legendarily bad football when our best defenders all get old and contracts of the guys who still produce are nearing their end.

Tell us how you really feel.

If I'm a GM I'm looking to trade every draft pick I have other than my 1st rounder every year for veteran players who've at least shown they are capable of playing at an NFL level. How many 3rd rounders next season do you really think will be as good as Greg Olsen? I'm guessing around 5, maybe 1 other guy who winds up being some super awesome find by a lucky front office and is actually better.

The value of NFL draft picks is absolutely insane. They're all free tickets to whatever player you could possibly want.

QUOTE (DukeNukeEm @ Jul 28, 2011 -> 09:56 PM)
If I'm a GM I'm looking to trade every draft pick I have other than my 1st rounder every year for veteran players who've at least shown they are capable of playing at an NFL level. How many 3rd rounders next season do you really think will be as good as Greg Olsen? I'm guessing around 5, maybe 1 other guy who winds up being some super awesome find by a lucky front office and is actually better.

The value of NFL draft picks is absolutely insane. They're all free tickets to whatever player you could possibly want.

I actually agree with you here. I always found it interesting you could get such great players in the NFL for so "cheap" with draft picks.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Jul 28, 2011 -> 09:56 PM)
So the Bears have reached out to Roy Williams, and now to Mike Sims-Walker. I fully expect one of these two or Malcolm Floyd on the Bears in the next 48 hours.

Is someone reporting that? Because that would be pretty cool with me. I would prefer Floyd first, but I'm really not going to be picky its just good to hear they are thinking about adding at WR

I really dislike Roy Williams and would be very unhappy if he was a Chicago Bear. I dont care if we pay him $1/year for the next 4 years, it would still be really hard rooting for him to succeed. The other options are pretty underwhelming too but at least I could root for them.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Jul 28, 2011 -> 08:56 PM)
So the Bears have reached out to Roy Williams, and now to Mike Sims-Walker. I fully expect one of these two or Malcolm Floyd on the Bears in the next 48 hours.

It really sounds like any of the three could be signed. if I had to guess, I'd say Sims-Walker is the guy. Although Williams obviously worked with Martz in Detroit.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Jul 28, 2011 -> 10:10 PM)
It really sounds like any of the three could be signed. if I had to guess, I'd say Sims-Walker is the guy. Although Williams obviously worked with Martz in Detroit.

Sims-Walker is apparently looking for a 1 year deal to prove he's healthy and show his real worth, which would be great for the Bears. I'd really be fine with any of the 3. Floyd would be my primary option though. Then Sims-Walker, then Williams.

QUOTE (The '05 Sound @ Jul 28, 2011 -> 10:04 PM)
Is someone reporting that? Because that would be pretty cool with me. I would prefer Floyd first, but I'm really not going to be picky its just good to hear they are thinking about adding at WR

Reports earlier today that the Bears reached out to Williams, and tonight there were reports they contacted Sims-Walker. Haven't heard anything about them talking to Floyd, but it's been reported they have interest.

Floyd is 6'5 and has speed to burn on deep routes. He'd be a perfect fit.

Sims-Walker is apparently looking for a 1 year deal to prove he's healthy and show his real worth.

If thats true he should've been signed yesterday. The guys gets put in a situation where he might as well be our #1 WR so he can prove himself, and we assume no long term risk for bad play or injury problems.

Edited by DukeNukeEm

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Jul 28, 2011 -> 09:12 PM)
Sims-Walker is apparently looking for a 1 year deal to prove he's healthy and show his real worth, which would be great for the Bears. I'd really be fine with any of the 3. Floyd would be my primary option though. Then Sims-Walker, then Williams.

That's exactly why I think it'll be him. I agree that Floyd is a better option, though.