Official 2011-2012 NFL Thread

QUOTE (WHarris1 @ Jan 12, 2012 -> 10:37 AM)
I'm feeling a little bit better about the chances of the Bears actually going outside of the organization than I was a few days ago. Good to finally see a list of guys coming in for interviews.

Everything I have read on Marc Ross from New York sounds encouraging, would be happy with him as the guy. Below are the Giants drafts with Ross as Director of College Scouting. Strong 1st rounders.

2011: Prince Amukamara, Marvin Austin, Jerrel Jernigan, James Brewer, Greg Jones, Tyler Sash, Jacquian Williams, Da'Rel Scott

2010: Jason Pierre-Paul, Linval Joseph, Chad Jones, Phillip Dillard, Mitch Petrus, Adrian Tracy, Matt Dodge

2009: Hakeem Nicks, Clint Sintim, William Beatty, Travis Beckum, Andre Brown, Rhett Bomar, DeAndre Wright, Stoney Woodson

2008: Kenny Phillips, Terrell Thomas, Mario Manningham, Bryan Kehl, Jonathan Goff, Andre Woodson, Robert Henderson

Jimmy Raye was the Chargers director of college scouting from 2000-2007 in that time some highlighted draft picks

2001: 1: LT, 2: Brees,

2002: 1: Jammer, 3: Ben Leber

2004: Eli-Rivers, 2: Igor Olshanky, 3: Nick Hardwick, Nate Kaeding, 4: Shaun Phillips, 5: Michael Turner,

2005: 1: Shawn Merriman, Luis Castillo, 2: Vincent Jackson, 4: Darren Sproles

2006: 1: Antonio Cromartie, 2: Marcus McNeil

Phil Emery only has one draft under his belt as Chiefs director of college scouting but it was pretty damn good.

1-Eric Berry, 2-Dexter McCluster & Javier Arenas, 3-Jon Asamoah & Tony Moeaki

Thanks for this post!

• Replies 7.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am a big fan of Ross track record. Two starting WR in 2 years. Kenny Phillips, Jason Pierre-Paul, and Prince Amukamara look to be defensive corner stones for the Giants. Will Beatty starts at LT for them before injury. Linval Joseph, starting DT. And on and on.

Brad Biggs was on the Score this morning discussing the candidates. Basically, they all have an extensive background in player personnel & scouting, mainly college. Sounds like they are trying to zero on somebody who won't screw up draft picks, which is obviously the biggest fault of Angelo.

Russel Wilson wont be going back to the Rockies, not sure where hell get drafted but if its 5th or later wouldnt mind the Bears taking a risk on him as 3rd string and hopefully eventual back up QB (he could be better than that, but at worst hes a massive upgrade from anything the Bears have.)

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jan 12, 2012 -> 10:25 AM)
Russel Wilson wont be going back to the Rockies, not sure where hell get drafted but if its 5th or later wouldnt mind the Bears taking a risk on him as 3rd string and hopefully eventual back up QB (he could be better than that, but at worst hes a massive upgrade from anything the Bears have.)

I think he could go earlier then the 5th round. He's a little sort, but I like everything else about him.

It's crazy to think if he was 6'2, we would be talking about him going in the first round maybe.

Wilson has Drew Brees syndrome (under 6 feet) and I agree that he could go earlier. I just think that the Bears arent going to take a back up QB earlier than 5, so if he goes before than it likely will be to another team.

Tice's kid plays for Wisconsin though, so its possible he may put in some good words to the GM, because (imo) a back up QB who has mobility and wont kill you is a great thing to have.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 12, 2012 -> 12:49 PM)
mikecwright Michael C. Wright

According to an NFL source, Greg Olson, the offensive coordinator for the Buccaneers is interviewing in Chicago TODAY.

I'm assuming as the "passing coordinator"?

Didn't Olson work for us before?

Does this strike anyone else as poor writing/journalism?

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2012-01...s-radio-analyst

Marc Ross, director of college scouting for the Giants, possesses Ivy League polish. New York has drafted well recently, especially on defense, and the Bears need some young legs there. Ross, however, has developed a rep for not being the hardest worker. Talk about blemishes.

Seems very unsubstantiated, you gotta back a claim like that up with more IMO.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jan 13, 2012 -> 01:32 PM)
Other than having to live in St. Louis, it seemed like a pretty easy choice.

St Louis can be a fun town, it isnt as bad as people make it out to be. The problem is the residents think it is as good as if not better than Chicago, which is wrong

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jan 13, 2012 -> 02:37 PM)
St Louis can be a fun town, it isnt as bad as people make it out to be. The problem is the residents think it is as good as if not better than Chicago, which is wrong

I know a lot of people who live or lived in/near St Louis, they loved it.

My Dad is a big fan of everything St. Louis, so I've been there a thousand times. Residents don't care about Chicago and don't compare St. Louis to anything. They know what they are and they love it. We go down there every 4th of July for a game, to gamble, and to have a good time... and St. Louis can definitely be a good time.

That being said, I've also seen a Bears/Rams game in St. Louis, and it's the most bored I've ever been... and the Bears dominated 27-3. It felt like watching a football game in someone's basement. That dome is horrendous, and the area of the city it's in is even worse. In fact, someone was murdered at the Holiday Inn we stayed at for that game just last year.

Great baseball city (and stadium), ok hockey city, bad football city.

However, good for the Rams. The old man is stoked as he's a big Fischer fan. Hopefully they figure something out as things continue to get worse year in and year out...

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jan 13, 2012 -> 03:53 PM)
However, good for the Rams. The old man is stoked as he's a big Fischer fan. Hopefully they figure something out as things continue to get worse year in and year out...

The Rams had a huge problem coming into this season, as they were paying big time money to both Jake Long and Sam Bradford, from being top draft picks under the old CBA. The money those 2 were getting put the Rams right up against the Salary Cap last offseason. Normally you'd think that a young team tends to be well under the cap, but the old CBA/Draft salaries were so screwed up that the Rams were an incredibly expensive young team. They had no room to actually add anything of substance in free agency last year, and they probably couldn't even hold onto their own guys. Throw in an injury or two and an improved division, and you've got a recipe for disaster.

This year the Rams ought to be in much better shape, they're another year down the path of both of those contracts and the salary cap should be going up. Plus, they have another top pick, but a top pick that won't break the bank. They ought to be in a position to actually add depth and useful pieces this year, even if they can't go all-in on someone like the Bears can/should. That ought to make them a whole lot more competitive next year.

Yeah, I think most of my St. Louis bashing comes from the southern Illinois people I met in college who seemed to think the world revolved around the city. I actually had my bachelor party there (Hawks/Blues game) and hit up Mardi Gras a few times, good times were definitely had.