Official 2011-2012 NFL Thread

QUOTE (MexSoxFan#1 @ Jan 11, 2012 -> 04:23 PM)
I agree mostly with your post but if there is a GM who thinks he'll get a better QB than Cutler either through the draft, FA or trading, I would be iffy on that...the starting QB position on the Bears is the least of our problems.

While I agree, the last thing you want is to have restrictions coming into the job. You're telling a guy that you are putting him in charge, with all the responsibility and image that goes along with the job, but you are going to restrict the moves he makes.

A candidate may feel that all the risk and blame is on him then, without him having the ability to do it his way.

But yes, a smart GM would not trade Cutler at this junction.

• Replies 7.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

IMO Ruskell has the job the firing was a Phillips CYA same with the presser a couple of years ago when he stated everyone's job was on the line.

The Bears FO is a mess with Phillips at the helm.

Ole George McCasky... meet the new boss same as the old boss.

Would be nice to have a football guy running the show instead of Teddy Bear and George.

Eh the GM is subservient to the owner and other people potentially. Its nothing more than a new manager or boss coming in at a job and having to work with the employees already on staff.

Cutler is on the payroll, my guess is that 99% of the candidates that come in are presenting a plan on how to improve around Cutler.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jan 11, 2012 -> 04:26 PM)
Yeah, I don't think you want a GM who thinks you need a change at QB.

^^ this.

I have absolutely zero problem with them expressing commitment to Jay Cutler. Any GM who would come in and wanna change the QB immediately may not be a great candidate anyway.

Lovie, on the other hand, is a completely different story. While I think he is a fine coach, you simply have to give a GM the ability to pick his own coach.

And every time I think about the possibility of Ruskell I get extremely depressed and angry.

Edited by WHarris1

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Jan 11, 2012 -> 04:29 PM)
IMO Ruskell has the job the firing was a Phillips CYA same with the presser a couple of years ago when he stated everyone's job was on the line.

The Bears FO is a mess with Phillips at the helm.

Ole George McCasky... meet the new boss same as the old boss.

Would be nice to have a football guy running the show instead of Teddy Bear and George.

The Bears are the Cubs of the NFL, a complacent ballclub that it knows it has it's fanbase by the balls.

I guess it starts now:

@BradBiggs

Brad Biggs

#Bears will interview 4 candidates for GM job: Jason Licht of Patriots, Phil Emery of Chiefs, Jimmy Raye of Chargers & Marc Ross of Giants

Jason Licht appears to be Robin Ventura in disguise.

nfl_e_licht11_65.jpg

QUOTE (MexSoxFan#1 @ Jan 11, 2012 -> 04:23 PM)
I agree mostly with your post but if there is a GM who thinks he'll get a better QB than Cutler either through the draft, FA or trading, I would be iffy on that...the starting QB position on the Bears is the least of our problems.

I absolutely agree. The QBs that are better than Cutler are unattainable anyway. It was just more of a general statement that hiring a GM shouldn't be prefaced by "He must build the team with this person & this person". Let him do what he wants, that's why you are trusting him with the roster.

QUOTE (SOXOBAMA @ Jan 11, 2012 -> 03:56 PM)
http://msn.foxsports.com/collegefootball/s...FL-draft-011112

Heisman Trophy winner Robert Griffin III is headed to the NFL.

Griffin made it official Wednesday, announcing that he would skip his senior season to enter the NFL draft after a record-breaking college career. The announcement comes a month and a day after the dual-threat quarterback became the first Baylor player to win college football's highest individual honor.

''It was a tough decision, I love the people at this university, love my coach for giving me a chance to be a quarterback,'' Griffin said.

Stanford's Andrew Luck, the Heisman runner-up, and Griffin are likely to be the first two quarterbacks selected next April.

Griffin arrived at Baylor along with coach Art Briles before the 2008 season. Briles was at Griffin's side Wednesday, both still basking in a season that ended with the Bears ranked No. 13 -- the first time since 1986 that they were in the final poll of the year.

''I talked to coach, neither of us broke down, surprisingly,' said Griffin, though Briles broke in to add: ''Not on the outside.''

Small wonder. Losing a talent like Griffin would be a blow for any coach.

Griffin set or tied 54 school records while playing 41 games at Baylor over the past four seasons. The fourth-year junior has another season of eligibility remaining at Baylor because he got a medical redshirt after he tore the ACL in his right knee in the third game of the 2009 season.

The Bears tied a school record with 10 wins this season, including a six-game winning streak to end the year. They finished with a record-setting 67-56 victory over Washington in the Alamo Bowl, their first bowl victory since 1992.

Griffin is Baylor's career passing leader. He completed 800 of 1,192 passes (67 percent) for 10,366 yards with 78 touchdowns and 17 interceptions. His 2,254 yards and 33 TDs rushing are records for a Bears quarterback.

He completed 291 of 402 passes (72 percent) for 4,293 yards and 37 TDs with only six interceptions this season, when he also ran for 699 yards and 10 more touchdowns. He was the nation's second-most efficient passer with a 189.48 rating, just behind Wisconsin's Russell Wilson, whose 191.78 rating came with 93 fewer pass attempts.

Griffin arrived at Waco as a 17-year-old freshman in January 2008 after graduating from high school a semester early. He completed an undergraduate degree in political science in December 2010 and has been working on master's degree in communications.

Well according to Kordell Stewart if you dont take RG3 over Luck youre racist

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Jan 11, 2012 -> 07:00 PM)
I guess it starts now:

@BradBiggs

Brad Biggs

#Bears will interview 4 candidates for GM job: Jason Licht of Patriots, Phil Emery of Chiefs, Jimmy Raye of Chargers & Marc Ross of Giants

Jason Licht appears to be Robin Ventura in disguise.

nfl_e_licht11_65.jpg

Glad to see Jimmy Raye on the list.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jan 11, 2012 -> 08:46 PM)
Glad to see Jimmy Raye on the list.

According to a source with knowledge of the situation, Raye and Ross "are high on [the Bears'] short list."

Link

Care to provide any insight into Raye? I'm unfamiliar with him.

QUOTE (MurcieOne @ Jan 12, 2012 -> 12:47 AM)
Link

Care to provide any insight into Raye? I'm unfamiliar with him.

Oh, I don't know much more about him than you, I'm sure.

Jimmy Raye III has been with the Chargers for 16 years. He spent 4 years as a scout, and 8 years as Director of College Scouting. He's been Director of Player of Personnel since 2007. He is not to be confused with Jimmy Raye II, his father, and the 49ers coordinator who was fired by Mike Singletary last year.

What I do know is that the Chargers, for the last 4-5 years, have been amongst the most talented teams in the League from a personnel perspective. Raye seems to understand how to identify both defense and offense, as well as good special teams players.

I'd be floored if we hired him.

Edited by iamshack

Just so you know ESPN is doing an hour long show on Tim Tebow at 11am.

Also tomorrow night NFL Network will have "Tebow Time" another hour long special. That's at 7pm.

For all you Tebow fanatics.

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Jan 12, 2012 -> 08:14 AM)

Also tomorrow night NFL Network will have "Tebow Time" another hour long special. That's at 7pm.

So what the f*** have the last 2.5 months of constant Tebow coverage been named?

I don't see this as a change from their regular programming.

Edited by WHarris1

As long as I avoid ESPN, I don't mind Tebow. It's actually all pretty funny to watch. (except for the Bears game up there) It's when I catch a TV at the gym with SportsCenter showing him as a comic book character, that's when he needs to go away.

Anybody in Chicago been listening to Boers & Bernstein the last few days? Their imitation & comparsion of him to a ten-year old has been pretty comical. Although, the hatred both of them have for him is part of what makes it funny.

When is ESPN and the NFL Network running the special on Rodgers/Brees?You know, real QBs that were amazing this past season?

Edited by MexSoxFan#1

How can any of you blame ESPN, honestly?

We've got the Bears in the midst of hiring a new GM, which is a huge decision, and look where the discussion in this thread has been this week.

Tebow is a polarizing figure and he "moves the dial," including in this thread.

What do you expect ESPN to do?

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jan 12, 2012 -> 09:10 AM)

We've got the Bears in the midst of hiring a new GM, which is a huge decision, and look where the discussion in this thread has been this week.

Exactly. People are tuning in. Just look at the record ratings for his last game.

The thing about it that I hate is that ESPN is putting him on the dial. Deadspin took a 1 hour segment of Sportscenter last month and broke it down into each time they said his name, they said Tebow 88 times in one hour. That isnt the kid generating interest, that is them forcing him down our throat.

It is true, he has surprised a lot of us by being a part of the Denver turnaround, but like we all have been saying the Denver D is a much bigger part than Tebow. I just want it to be reduced by 150 percent so I can see that there are other quarterbacks in the league doing much more awesome things. Like Brees and Rodgers

Well, let's be honest. The Bears are bumbling that and you can only b**** and moan about nothing happening before you stop talking about nothing happening.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jan 12, 2012 -> 10:19 AM)
The thing about it that I hate is that ESPN is putting him on the dial. Deadspin took a 1 hour segment of Sportscenter last month and broke it down into each time they said his name, they said Tebow 88 times in one hour. That isnt the kid generating interest, that is them forcing him down our throat.

It is true, he has surprised a lot of us by being a part of the Denver turnaround, but like we all have been saying the Denver D is a much bigger part than Tebow. I just want it to be reduced by 150 percent so I can see that there are other quarterbacks in the league doing much more awesome things. Like Brees and Rodgers

I have no interest in debating how much is too much or how much is enough, or "the Tebow Phenomenon."

All I know is I come into this thread looking for discussion about the Bears GM search and it's basically one or two posts from you and me and Murcie and Lost, and the rest is a bunch Tebow nonsense.

I just think this thread is an example of how much people really do want to discuss him, even in the face of more relevant and drastically more important events occurring simulataneously.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jan 12, 2012 -> 10:23 AM)
Well, let's be honest. The Bears are bumbling that and you can only b**** and moan about nothing happening before you stop talking about nothing happening.

There has been virtually no discussion of the rumored candidates.

You and others can say all you want that they are "bumbling that," but IMO, there has not been anyone hired since the season ended that I have been upset we didn't get. At first I was excited about McKenzie, but after seeing the Presser, I can understand why he just took a job with the Raiders (no offense, Sqwert).

There has been no case presented for why the Bears will "bumble" this hire other than an underserved implication that they have done so in the past, and therefore, will do so again. For all we know, they are exercising due dilligence and acting with prudence.

I'm feeling a little bit better about the chances of the Bears actually going outside of the organization than I was a few days ago. Good to finally see a list of guys coming in for interviews.

Everything I have read on Marc Ross from New York sounds encouraging, would be happy with him as the guy. Below are the Giants drafts with Ross as Director of College Scouting. Strong 1st rounders.

2011: Prince Amukamara, Marvin Austin, Jerrel Jernigan, James Brewer, Greg Jones, Tyler Sash, Jacquian Williams, Da'Rel Scott

2010: Jason Pierre-Paul, Linval Joseph, Chad Jones, Phillip Dillard, Mitch Petrus, Adrian Tracy, Matt Dodge

2009: Hakeem Nicks, Clint Sintim, William Beatty, Travis Beckum, Andre Brown, Rhett Bomar, DeAndre Wright, Stoney Woodson

2008: Kenny Phillips, Terrell Thomas, Mario Manningham, Bryan Kehl, Jonathan Goff, Andre Woodson, Robert Henderson

Jimmy Raye was the Chargers director of college scouting from 2000-2007 in that time some highlighted draft picks

2001: 1: LT, 2: Brees,

2002: 1: Jammer, 3: Ben Leber

2004: Eli-Rivers, 2: Igor Olshanky, 3: Nick Hardwick, Nate Kaeding, 4: Shaun Phillips, 5: Michael Turner,

2005: 1: Shawn Merriman, Luis Castillo, 2: Vincent Jackson, 4: Darren Sproles

2006: 1: Antonio Cromartie, 2: Marcus McNeil

Phil Emery only has one draft under his belt as Chiefs director of college scouting but it was pretty damn good.

1-Eric Berry, 2-Dexter McCluster & Javier Arenas, 3-Jon Asamoah & Tony Moeaki

Edited by WHarris1