Official 2011-2012 NFL Thread

• Replies 7.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jan 11, 2012 -> 08:22 AM)
Oh my goodness, would anyone actually want this guy to be GM of the Bears? And Al Davis' son reminds me of Harry from Dumb and Dumber...

Raiders Press Conference

I know that press conference was brutal since he seems to struggle with the English language but if he is a moron, what the heck was he doing in the Packers FO?The Packers have one of the best if not the best football organization...I'm gonna wait to see what he does before passing judgement.

QUOTE (MexSoxFan#1 @ Jan 11, 2012 -> 10:59 AM)
I know that press conference was brutal since he seems to struggle with the English language but if he is a moron, what the heck was he doing in the Packers FO?The Packers have one of the best if not the best football organization...I'm gonna wait to see what he does before passing judgement.

You don't have to be a word-genius to be a good GM, if he can evaluate talent and implement a smart organizational plan than he will be successful.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jan 10, 2012 -> 08:10 PM)
Ok, the ESPN radio guys here in Vegas were ripping the Raiders' FO to shreds this afternoon. If you get a chance, watch the press conference...it was extremely...awkward. Reggie McKenzie cannot possibly be as stupid as he sounds, because my word, he came off as freaking stupid...

I'm not so disappointed we didn't land him at this point...

I was interested in McKenzie prior to watching that press conference, but now, as you stated, I get the impression he might be particularly dim.

Still though, my comment was more a criticism of the Bears front office mismanagement than an endorsement of McKenzie or Al Davis' son. I just think it makes more sense to hire a GM and let him decide who is going to be his HC, than publicly stating that the new GM with HAVE to work well with a coach he didn't hire.

But yeah, yeeeeesh. . . McKenzie, Davis Jr., wow.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Jan 11, 2012 -> 02:03 PM)
You don't have to be a word-genius to be a good GM, if he can evaluate talent and implement a smart organizational plan than he will be successful.

There is no doubt that as a player personnel guy, talent evaluation is the most critical skill.

Your General Manager is more than just about evaluating talent, however. It's about communicating with other organizations, representing your organization, being the face of your FO.

My feeling is that Reggie was probably best in the position he just left.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jan 11, 2012 -> 01:36 PM)
There is no doubt that as a player personnel guy, talent evaluation is the most critical skill.

Your General Manager is more than just about evaluating talent, however. It's about communicating with other organizations, representing your organization, being the face of your FO.

My feeling is that Reggie was probably best in the position he just left.

That's why I included "implement a smart organizational plan" because to me that includes some of the above skills.

But you can get away with some of the other skills too, you don't have to be a huge public figure, yes you'll have to represent the organization in press conferences, etc. But at the same time you can somewhat hide from the media in a large way if you go to a smaller market (Chicago may not be a good choice at all for that, and Oakland may not be a great choice either).

Once again, not saying he shouldn't clean up his grammar, but you don't have to be eloquent in football management to be effective.

Edited by bigruss22

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Jan 11, 2012 -> 02:38 PM)
That's why I included "implement a smart organizational plan" because to me that includes some of the above skills.

But you can get away with some of the other skills too, you don't have to be a huge public figure, yes you'll have to represent the organization in press conferences, etc. But at the same time you can somewhat hide from the media in a large way if you go to a smaller market (Chicago may not be a good choice at all for that, and Oakland may not be a great choice either).

Once again, not saying he shouldn't clean up his grammar, but you don't have to be eloquent in football management to be effective.

I don't even care so much about his grammar as his seeming inability to articulate his position on the rather simple idea of what kind of head coach he was leaning towards.

That said, I trust he is very good at identifying and evaluating personnel, I was just shocked at how unpolished he seemed.

The Bears should have cleaned house this off season.. I know for a fact that there was a lot of turmoil between the coaching staff and the front office for the last two seasons.

Getting rid of Martz and Angelo was a great start but Lovie should have been fired as well.

QUOTE (SOXOBAMA @ Jan 11, 2012 -> 03:27 PM)
Getting rid of Martz and Angelo was a great start but Lovie should have been fired as well.

Lovie doesn't really deserve to be fired, though. However, the incoming General Manager should be allowed to evaluate, and I'm sure could even have the recommendation made that Lovie not be canned. Instead, the Bears make it a point to publicly state that Lovie is going nowhere, and then promote Tice to OC, and make countless other moves before hiring the most important person in building a winning team.

It's so bass ackwards.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jan 11, 2012 -> 03:33 PM)
Lovie doesn't really deserve to be fired, though. However, the incoming General Manager should be allowed to evaluate, and I'm sure could even have the recommendation made that Lovie not be canned. Instead, the Bears make it a point to publicly state that Lovie is going nowhere, and then promote Tice to OC, and make countless other moves before hiring the most important person in building a winning team.

It's so bass ackwards.

The excitement of Jerry Angelo getting fired definitely tapered off when Phillips said "Our new GM will work with Lovie Smith as head coach & Jay Cutler as quarterback." Basically, we want someone new to take over, as long as he can work with these people we choose. (Note: I love Cutler as QB, just saying that if a new GM were to decide the Bears need a change at QB, you have to let him do what he wants)

QUOTE (SOXOBAMA @ Jan 11, 2012 -> 03:37 PM)
I hope that the new GM signs Forte to an extension within a few weeks..

As long as it doesn't hurt the cap space too much. Forte is solid, but he definitely isn't an "elite" RB. Over and over again you see RBs come out of nowhere to succeed. Just look at the playoff teams: Starks, Thomas/Ivory, Bradshaw, Foster, Green-Ellis, Redman.

http://msn.foxsports.com/collegefootball/s...FL-draft-011112

Heisman Trophy winner Robert Griffin III is headed to the NFL.

Griffin made it official Wednesday, announcing that he would skip his senior season to enter the NFL draft after a record-breaking college career. The announcement comes a month and a day after the dual-threat quarterback became the first Baylor player to win college football's highest individual honor.

''It was a tough decision, I love the people at this university, love my coach for giving me a chance to be a quarterback,'' Griffin said.

Stanford's Andrew Luck, the Heisman runner-up, and Griffin are likely to be the first two quarterbacks selected next April.

Griffin arrived at Baylor along with coach Art Briles before the 2008 season. Briles was at Griffin's side Wednesday, both still basking in a season that ended with the Bears ranked No. 13 -- the first time since 1986 that they were in the final poll of the year.

''I talked to coach, neither of us broke down, surprisingly,' said Griffin, though Briles broke in to add: ''Not on the outside.''

Small wonder. Losing a talent like Griffin would be a blow for any coach.

Griffin set or tied 54 school records while playing 41 games at Baylor over the past four seasons. The fourth-year junior has another season of eligibility remaining at Baylor because he got a medical redshirt after he tore the ACL in his right knee in the third game of the 2009 season.

The Bears tied a school record with 10 wins this season, including a six-game winning streak to end the year. They finished with a record-setting 67-56 victory over Washington in the Alamo Bowl, their first bowl victory since 1992.

Griffin is Baylor's career passing leader. He completed 800 of 1,192 passes (67 percent) for 10,366 yards with 78 touchdowns and 17 interceptions. His 2,254 yards and 33 TDs rushing are records for a Bears quarterback.

He completed 291 of 402 passes (72 percent) for 4,293 yards and 37 TDs with only six interceptions this season, when he also ran for 699 yards and 10 more touchdowns. He was the nation's second-most efficient passer with a 189.48 rating, just behind Wisconsin's Russell Wilson, whose 191.78 rating came with 93 fewer pass attempts.

Griffin arrived at Waco as a 17-year-old freshman in January 2008 after graduating from high school a semester early. He completed an undergraduate degree in political science in December 2010 and has been working on master's degree in communications.

Edited by SOXOBAMA

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jan 11, 2012 -> 03:42 PM)
The excitement of Jerry Angelo getting fired definitely tapered off when Phillips said "Our new GM will work with Lovie Smith as head coach & Jay Cutler as quarterback." Basically, we want someone new to take over, as long as he can work with these people we choose. (Note: I love Cutler as QB, just saying that if a new GM were to decide the Bears need a change at QB, you have to let him do what he wants)

I agree mostly with your post but if there is a GM who thinks he'll get a better QB than Cutler either through the draft, FA or trading, I would be iffy on that...the starting QB position on the Bears is the least of our problems.