The Pet Thread

iamshack

QUOTE (G&T @ Mar 15, 2012 -> 06:13 AM)
Looks like a good list. Remember to redirect their chewing from bad things to acceptable things consistently, so have plenty of chew toys.

As for food, do your research. I feed Wellness because it is high quality but easily available if we are traveling. Some foods are very expensive and hard to get if you aren't at home. So consider what you can afford versus quality.

I was in a high-quality food store yesterday and looked at quite a few different foods. The obvious new niche product is the grain-free dry food. Most lower to moderate priced foods are going to be made up of a lot of grain as a "filler," because it's cheaper than any other acceptable product they can get away with using. Unfortunately, almost all studies show dogs simply cannot digest grain well, which means it is serving very little purpose to them, other than making them s*** more. However, because replacing grain with a meat or plant-based product is more expensive for dog food manufacturers, grain-free foods are going to be significantly more expensive for consumers.

Another niche product is food that includes only "human-grade" ingredients. This protects one from having a food that includes ingredients from the rendering industry, which may include animal carcasses and other disgusting things.

Finally, some foods that are primarily meat-based are advertising that those meats are free-range or grass-fed, etc. this protects you from having meat from the larger "factory farms" in the formulation.

Overall, it depends what your budget is, how active your dog(s) is, availability, as GT mentioned, and how highly you value/believe in a better diet for your dog(s).

From what I saw yesterday, foods from Champion Pet Foods (Orjen, Acana), Fromm, Canidae, Now, Wellness, etc, are all solid dry foods.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Mar 15, 2012 -> 08:01 AM)
I was in a high-quality food store yesterday and looked at quite a few different foods. The obvious new niche product is the grain-free dry food. Most lower to moderate priced foods are going to be made up of a lot of grain as a "filler," because it's cheaper than any other acceptable product they can get away with using. Unfortunately, almost all studies show dogs simply cannot digest grain well, which means it is serving very little purpose to them, other than making them s*** more. However, because replacing grain with a meat or plant-based product is more expensive for dog food manufacturers, grain-free foods are going to be significantly more expensive for consumers.

Another niche product is food that includes only "human-grade" ingredients. This protects one from having a food that includes ingredients from the rendering industry, which may include animal carcasses and other disgusting things.

Finally, some foods that are primarily meat-based are advertising that those meats are free-range or grass-fed, etc. this protects you from having meat from the larger "factory farms" in the formulation.

Overall, it depends what your budget is, how active your dog(s) is, availability, as GT mentioned, and how highly you value/believe in a better diet for your dog(s).

From what I saw yesterday, foods from Champion Pet Foods (Orjen, Acana), Fromm, Canidae, Now, Wellness, etc, are all solid dry foods.

Not only can dogs not process grain, a lot are allergic. Some dogs develop skin issues and yeast infections from their food. Taste of The Wild is a good and fair priced feed. Also, most dogs in America are obese from their diet. A healthy, short haired dog should show muscle tone and the last 1 to 2 ribs. A dog that's too skinny will show hips.

QUOTE (TaylorStSox @ Mar 15, 2012 -> 09:53 AM)
Not only can dogs not process grain, a lot are allergic. Some dogs develop skin issues and yeast infections from their food. Taste of The Wild is a good and fair priced feed. Also, most dogs in America are obese from their diet. A healthy, short haired dog should show muscle tone and the last 1 to 2 ribs. A dog that's too skinny will show hips.

Yeah, the allergies and weight gain are the biggest problems. The reason the obesity occurs is because dogs will eat more as a result of not having the proper nutrition, which is a result of most dry foods consisting of crap fillers such as grain.

I firmly believe in a raw diet consisting of meat, raw bones, and vegetables. However, I make this transition in a puppy at 4-6 months of age, so I've got a month or two of feeding dry food ahead of me.

• 2 weeks later...

So puppy will be here a week from today, only about 6 weeks old.

I've read some stuff that says they wake up to go in the middle of the night a ton, and they have to go about 30 seconds after waking up. And that this lasts for many months. True? False?

It's an elevator ride to get down, so we're considering puppy pads on the balcony for those sorts of "emergencies." Good idea? Bad idea? If she can truly only hold it 30 seconds, there's no way to get outside.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Mar 31, 2012 -> 03:11 PM)

I've read some stuff that says they wake up to go in the middle of the night a ton, and they have to go about 30 seconds after waking up. And that this lasts for many months. True? False?

It's an elevator ride to get down, so we're considering puppy pads on the balcony for those sorts of "emergencies." Good idea? Bad idea? If she can truly only hold it 30 seconds, there's no way to get outside.

Puppies, supposedly, never pee or poop where they sleep. Mine never did or when I held him. You'll have to carry them out for a few months if you go the elevator route. Puppies and dogs like sniffing around before they go so a balcony maybe a tad dull unless you are just talking about over nights. Get ready for the constant crying the first few nights.

The first couple of months are annoying but it's cool when they get old and just lay around. Mine is going to be 2 next months and his energy bursts have become more rare.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Mar 31, 2012 -> 02:11 PM)

I had the same issue...I let him use the balcony and he did fine with it...

Finally stopped for a little while at about 1:00am, slept 2 hours, started again at 3:15 and didn't stop for 2 and a half hours. I didn't know that was possible.

The person we got it from said just to leave her cry like that, you can't go console her or take her out, she just has to break in. Any other thoughts, let me know.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Apr 8, 2012 -> 09:00 AM)
Finally stopped for a little while at about 1:00am, slept 2 hours, started again at 3:15 and didn't stop for 2 and a half hours. I didn't know that was possible.

The person we got it from said just to leave her cry like that, you can't go console her or take her out, she just has to break in. Any other thoughts, let me know.

The first night I usually allow them to sleep next to the bed. I've read you can attach their leash to you bedpost, so they can't wander around, and they should wake you if they need to go.

Your pup is young, and is experiencing a LOT of stress. From leaving its family, to going to a new family and home, and now sleeping alone in the dark...that's rough.

I prefer a more gradual transition to crate training, but many people, in fact most, do it just the way you described.

Now that you've made it through a night like that, perhaps the worst is over.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Apr 8, 2012 -> 10:00 AM)

They are right. After a few nights, my pup would just walk into the crate knowing it was bed time. Be patient.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Apr 8, 2012 -> 11:04 AM)
The first night I usually allow them to sleep next to the bed. I've read you can attach their leash to you bedpost, so they can't wander around, and they should wake you if they need to go.

Your pup is young, and is experiencing a LOT of stress. From leaving its family, to going to a new family and home, and now sleeping alone in the dark...that's rough.

I prefer a more gradual transition to crate training, but many people, in fact most, do it just the way you described.

Now that you've made it through a night like that, perhaps the worst is over.

Yeah it's been rough. Very needy, has to be held/touching someone at all times it appears. If she's in the crate or in a room by herself, it's constant whining/yelping.

She also will not use pee pads or something. We were told to kind of "box her in" and eventually she'll get it and go on there...she just waits until we look away a second, runs 5 feet, and starts going randomly. If we catch her, we put her back on the pad (which we were told to do), but then she won't go. So I don't know what the hell is going on.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Apr 8, 2012 -> 11:06 AM)
Yeah it's been rough. Very needy, has to be held/touching someone at all times it appears. If she's in the crate or in a room by herself, it's constant whining/yelping.

She also will not use pee pads or something. We were told to kind of "box her in" and eventually she'll get it and go on there...she just waits until we look away a second, runs 5 feet, and starts going randomly. If we catch her, we put her back on the pad (which we were told to do), but then she won't go. So I don't know what the hell is going on.

Next time she goes, clean it up with a paper towel, but don't throw it away...place it on top of the puppy pads and maybe she will get the hint that way.

Otherwise, keep taking her out onto the balcony or outside, every few hours, and if she happens to go, act like you just won the lottery and it is the best day ever. Praise, praise, praise.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Mar 15, 2012 -> 12:25 AM)
New puppy coming in a few weeks. It'll be a Shichon. What is on the "must have" list before we get it?

Crate (towels or blankets too?)

Food (what kind?)

Treats

Toys

Collar

Leash

Bowls for food/water

Bed?

Probably a good start, but what am I missing?

Get an auto-feeder.

http://www.amazon.com/Pureness-AF3-3-Pound...8407&sr=8-4

http://www.amazon.com/Petmate-Pet-Cafe-Wat...m_petsupplies_1

QUOTE (knightni @ Apr 8, 2012 -> 02:28 PM)
Those kind of feeders can be disease carriers after awhile. It's like drinking out of the same water bottle for 6 months.

You don't want to put a puppy on an all-you-can-eat diet. Not any dog for that matter, but especially not a puppy.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Apr 8, 2012 -> 01:30 PM)
You don't want to put a puppy on an all-you-can-eat diet. Not any dog for that matter, but especially not a puppy.

Agreed. Unless you like cleaning up dog puke and having a sick dog.