The Pet Thread

iamshack

QUOTE (iamshack @ Feb 6, 2012 -> 05:15 PM)
Ahh, that's right.

Well, all I'll say is this...I firmly believe you can recoup veterinarian costs by investing more in diet. The better ingredients in your dog's food, the less annoying issues that creep up and require veterinarian attention.

Yeah, as Kyle said, I have a pure-bred Golden. My brother just got a golden puppy a few weeks ago (Whom I get to come home and meet Friday, I am so excited!!!)

Speaking of which, my brother uploaded a couple of videos of her for me to tide me over. In the video you can see our family dog, Casey (will turn 11 yrs old in July, but has the energy and body of a young dog!), and then my brothers puppy Dina, who is 3 or 4 months old I believe.

and

PS: You can see the dog feeder in the background!! Haha.

We tried to crunch up the pill and mix it with some peanut butter to feed it to our pooch. But everytime we tried, he had remembered the earlier attempts and just ran away scared, like he wanted nothing to do with it. Finally, we just dropped the mixture of PB/tablet into his bowl and walked away like it was no big deal. As soon as he saw we weren't forcing it to him, he ate it no problem. What a quirky old man.

So yesterday I went to a local butcher because I was picking up 40 pounds of chicken necks...when I went to pick him up, he told me about some other products they offer. They make something themselves they call "dog food," which is ground beef with beef organs such as hearts and livers, as well as bone meal, which is basically ground bone. They told me they would sell it to me in bulk for $1.39 lb, which I am absolutely stoked about. I can make this the base of my dog's diet at about 1/2 the price of what I am currently buying, and use the green tripe and other more expensive products I am currently buying to supplement this.

Kyle, they also sold femur bones for $1.39 lb and marrow bones for $3.69 lb. Some of these femur bones and chicken and turkey necks could definitely do the trick on your bassets, at least in the future.

This adds up to about $56 for 40 lbs of food, which is about half what I was paying to get shipped in to me.

This morning I added some of the bone meal to their regular food and they absolutely loved it.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Feb 8, 2012 -> 07:41 AM)
So yesterday I went to a local butcher because I was picking up 40 pounds of chicken necks...when I went to pick him up, he told me about some other products they offer. They make something themselves they call "dog food," which is ground beef with beef organs such as hearts and livers, as well as bone meal, which is basically ground bone. They told me they would sell it to me in bulk for $1.39 lb, which I am absolutely stoked about. I can make this the base of my dog's diet at about 1/2 the price of what I am currently buying, and use the green tripe and other more expensive products I am currently buying to supplement this.

Kyle, they also sold femur bones for $1.39 lb and marrow bones for $3.69 lb. Some of these femur bones and chicken and turkey necks could definitely do the trick on your bassets, at least in the future.

This adds up to about $56 for 40 lbs of food, which is about half what I was paying to get shipped in to me.

This morning I added some of the bone meal to their regular food and they absolutely loved it.

I already get them femur bones from petco, they like them already. Right now I am kind of feeling them out with what they do and do not like. Both of them obviously have weak jaw muscles because they havent had anythign to chew for pretty much their whole lives, and it shows. They will work on the bone together for 20 minutes at a time, then you can tell they need a break, so they nap.

I am a big believer in natural bones and no rawhide. I just hope once Wilma has her dental procedure she isnt in so much pain that she doesnt want to chew anymore.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Feb 6, 2012 -> 02:09 PM)
Cats are awful. b****y, finicky, stubborn, untrainable, and lazy. We have two cats and a dog. If my wife didn't enjoy the cats, they'd be outside. One does nothing but leave hair everywhere and refuses to accept basic social boundaries (every morning at 4:30-5 when he's hungry he sits on my wife's head as she's sleeping), the other is a b**** that only enjoys being pet on HIS terms. Oh, and when he's pissed, he s***s in front of the litter box. And even though they're my wifes cats, she's pregnant, so I'm forced to clean the litter.

f*** cats.

Man, come on, this is a thread for talking about our "animal friends". I have two awesome cats. AWESOME. If you don't like your cats, that's your problem, but saying "f*** cats" is bulls*** in my opinion. So f you and your s***ty dog.

Edited by Steve9347

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Feb 8, 2012 -> 01:16 PM)
Man, come on, this is a thread for talking about our "animal friends". I have two awesome cats. AWESOME. If you don't like your cats, that's your problem, but saying "f*** cats" is bulls*** in my opinion. So f you and your s***ty dog.

skeptical.gif

^^^We totally need to add that emoticon, btw.

Edited by JoeCoolMan24

So I decided to have this surgery out in the Arizona to stay with my parents for a few months. Obviously taking my dog with me. Will it be a tough transition to living in a new place for a couple of months? ANything I shoudl expect?

QUOTE (Brian @ Feb 8, 2012 -> 10:55 PM)
So I decided to have this surgery out in the Arizona to stay with my parents for a few months. Obviously taking my dog with me. Will it be a tough transition to living in a new place for a couple of months? ANything I shoudl expect?

Some animals don't care at all as long as they've got you there

QUOTE (Brian @ Feb 8, 2012 -> 11:04 PM)
I'm more concerned with the car ride out there. He'll probably whine the whole time.

Ask your vet for some medication that can calm him. I got some for my cat when I had to drive from Illinois to North Carolina. She slept for most of the trip rather than the usual yowling most car rides produce.

QUOTE (Brian @ Feb 8, 2012 -> 05:04 PM)
I'm more concerned with the car ride out there. He'll probably whine the whole time.

Lay down blankets for him and make sure he gets plenty of air. Stop every 4-5 hours at a rest stop so he can piss/crap and drink some water and stretch his legs...he should be fine.

What kind of dog?

QUOTE (Brian @ Feb 8, 2012 -> 05:04 PM)

I've taken a lot of long car trips with my dog (12+ hours) and the best advice is to acclimate the dog to being in his seat in the car. If he's never been in the car that long then be ready to stop frequently. Oh, but I do recommend a doggy sleeping or motion sickness pill if you dog isn't used to cars.

My dog is used to these trips now but after 8 hours he gets restless in the car.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Feb 8, 2012 -> 04:09 PM)
Lay down blankets for him and make sure he gets plenty of air. Stop every 4-5 hours at a rest stop so he can piss/crap and drink some water and stretch his legs...he should be fine.

What kind of dog?

Beagle mix. We plan on stopping every 4 hours.

QUOTE (Brian @ Feb 8, 2012 -> 04:42 PM)
Beagle mix. We plan on stopping every 4 hours.

Ahh ok...well he/she should be fine in AZ. Beagles don't have a lot of fur, but obviously keep him out of excessive heat and/or sunlight, make sure there is plenty of water available, and everything will be fine.

Looking for some pet advice. My fiance and I are driving out to Pennsylvania this weekend to pick up a puppy (a Vizsla). It's about a 7 hour car ride out there from Indy. We're expecting to need to stop every hour on the drive back for bathroom breaks and exercise. Any thoughts on what we can/should do to make the ride comfortable for the pup?

We also have two cats at home. Any advice on how to make the meeting of the cats and the pup go as smooth as possible? I'll hang up and listen.

QUOTE (illinilaw08 @ Feb 8, 2012 -> 06:25 PM)
Looking for some pet advice. My fiance and I are driving out to Pennsylvania this weekend to pick up a puppy (a Vizsla). It's about a 7 hour car ride out there from Indy. We're expecting to need to stop every hour on the drive back for bathroom breaks and exercise. Any thoughts on what we can/should do to make the ride comfortable for the pup?

We also have two cats at home. Any advice on how to make the meeting of the cats and the pup go as smooth as possible? I'll hang up and listen.

Vizsla's are fun...you and the cats are going to have your hands full! :)

It sounds like you have the right idea. Does the puppy come with a crate? If not, are you planning on using one in your home? If you can get one, that would be ideal. Get a crate that is not too small (the puppy can get up and move around, stand up straight, etc., but not palatial in size either. Spread something soft and cozy along the bottom of it, and if it has air holes in the top or sides, drape a blanket over the top of the crate so it will remain fairly dark. Having a warm, dry, dark space will appeal to him, especially if he's stressed from his first long car ride.

Make sure you stop often, as you said, but I'm not sure every hour is necessary. Ask the breeder how far along the pup is in its house training and go to school on that advice. Have plenty of water available, so bring bottles and bowls. Also, you might want to feed the pup about halfway through your trip, so get some food from the breeder or buy the same kind as she is feeding, and allow the pup to eat at a rest stop...but don't freak out if it isn't interested.

As for the cats, all animals seem to be different, but a vizsla is a variation of a pointer, so expect the pup to be quite interested in them. I would maybe try to seclude the cats for an hour or two when you get home and let the pup get accustomed to and explore its new space. Then, when it seems to be getting a little bit more comfortable, try to introduce one cat at a time slowly? See how they react to one another. Some dogs don't take much interest, others take extreme interest. Again, this is a vizsla, so I would think it might like to chase your cats, but I don't know.

Is carsick something smaller breeds get? Neither of our goldens have ever gotten carsick (They go apes*** over taking car rides), and none of the other dogs in my family (2 labs, golden, and a lab/shepard/mutt) have ever had this problem. But my roommate had a Whippit (sp?) and she said it would throw up every single car ride and they just got a new whippit, and apparently it threw up when they brought it home.

I'm glad Goldens (or maybe just ours) don't get carsick because that would be disgusting to have to deal with in a car.