The Pet Thread

iamshack

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Feb 5, 2012 -> 09:20 AM)
LOL, its a veterinary Dentist. They have one on staff, so i just make an appt to get it done, so I am gonna have it done by the end of the month. The doc wanted us to let her get acclimated before we do it, so she doesnt get too freaked out.

I would take a picture of the plaque and post it, but it is seriously disgusting. I dont know what they fed this dog, but I am guessing it wasnt top of the line food, ever. And add to the fact that she seemingly had multiple litters of puppies, that is a huge drain on the vitamins the dog needs to stay healthy, so it is showing in the teeth/gumline.

Dogs do not have the enzymes in their saliva to properly break down grain products, which is where a lot of these problems stem from. This is just one of many reasons why not to feed your dog grain-based foods or TREATS. What they don't swallow sticks to their teeth and decays them, causing bad breath.

Bones will automatically clean a dog's teeth. And when I say bones, I don't mean a grain-based product in the shape of a dog bone. By bone I mean the skeletal remains of a carbon-based organism. Give your dog a raw bone, or a raw, meaty bone to chew on from time to time. This will clean their teeth and provide mental stimulation as well as emotional satisfaction for your dog. Best of all, you will rarely, if ever, have to clean his teeth.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Feb 5, 2012 -> 08:52 AM)
Dogs do not have the enzymes in their saliva to properly break down grain products, which is where a lot of these problems stem from. This is just one of many reasons why not to feed your dog grain-based foods or TREATS. What they don't swallow sticks to their teeth and decays them, causing bad breath.

Bones will automatically clean a dog's teeth. And when I say bones, I don't mean a grain-based product in the shape of a dog bone. By bone I mean the skeletal remains of a carbon-based organism. Give your dog a raw bone, or a raw, meaty bone to chew on from time to time. This will clean their teeth and provide mental stimulation as well as emotional satisfaction for your dog. Best of all, you will rarely, if ever, have to clean his teeth.

Thats what I do. Unfortunately, that is not what her previous owners did

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Feb 6, 2012 -> 09:12 AM)
After 250 bucks, i can try

Did you do it yet? Because you don't need to...you can bring them back just fine by starting with the bones now...I've read all kinds of stories about dogs' teeth coming back to healthy condition just by changing their diet/giving them raw/meaty bones.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Feb 5, 2012 -> 02:40 AM)
There's tons of treats you can get that freshen their breath. There's also some sort of gel or something you can buy that helps, My mom uses it on our dog, I'll have to ask tomorrow.

I bought her several types of dental treats for Christmas, but I assume those help clean her teeth. Her breath still smells like wet garbage farts.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Feb 6, 2012 -> 09:23 AM)
Did you do it yet? Because you don't need to...you can bring them back just fine by starting with the bones now...I've read all kinds of stories about dogs' teeth coming back to healthy condition just by changing their diet/giving them raw/meaty bones.

You really dont understand the damage here, Shack. Under normal circumstances, I would try that. This is not normal circumstances. If you want, PM me your email address or cell # and I will send you a picture tonite when I get home. It is EXTREME damage. There will be tooth removal as well, I am sure of it.

Imagine pulling your dogs lip up so you can see his/her back teeth. You see the white healthy teeth leading to the gums. What I see is a small sliver of white tooth, followed by a plaqued/blackened/rotting part of the tooth that leads to the exposed root, followed by what looks to be some sort of solid grey matter(it looks like grey putty, that is the only way i can describe it) about half an inch wide between the root and the gumline.

It is truly hideous. Giving her some bones isnt going to fix this

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Feb 6, 2012 -> 01:39 PM)
Anybody have any tricks on how to get a dog to swallow a pill? We have tried putting it in food like cheese, but he just eats the food and spits out the pill.

What kind of pill is it? Can you crush it up and put the powder in the food?

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Feb 6, 2012 -> 02:39 PM)
Anybody have any tricks on how to get a dog to swallow a pill? We have tried putting it in food like cheese, but he just eats the food and spits out the pill.

Try butter. They don't have to chew it and it makes the whole thing slippery. Also, put it in the back of the throat.

My pill trick is to put the pill(s) in the middle of a piece of bread and squeeze the bread into a ball around the pill, then run water over the bread so it gets slimy/gooey and give it to the dog.

My dogs never ever chew it, they just swallow it. Some dogs just know though, and force you to get those vet pill popper devices that are like a reverse tweezers

Cats are awful. b****y, finicky, stubborn, untrainable, and lazy. We have two cats and a dog. If my wife didn't enjoy the cats, they'd be outside. One does nothing but leave hair everywhere and refuses to accept basic social boundaries (every morning at 4:30-5 when he's hungry he sits on my wife's head as she's sleeping), the other is a b**** that only enjoys being pet on HIS terms. Oh, and when he's pissed, he s***s in front of the litter box. And even though they're my wifes cats, she's pregnant, so I'm forced to clean the litter.

f*** cats.

Edited by Jenksismybitch

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Feb 6, 2012 -> 02:01 PM)
Sometimes you can order the medicine as a flavored liquid, that can help considerably.

They have pill pickets and other things at pet stores, they work better for dogs than cats.

Cats are amazing at spitting pills. I went with a roomate in college to her cats vet appt, they used that pill tweezer thing and her cat still got it up. It took 3 times to get it down

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Feb 6, 2012 -> 02:48 PM)
It's just a small round tablet. I'm thinking that will be the next attempt, crush it up then mix it with peanut butter or something.

Luckily, my silly dog thinks they are candy and eats them willingly...

Iamshack, what are your thoughts on that BLUE Buffalo dog food? Saw a commercial for it today, and assuming it's not ridiculously expensive, that might be an option.

EDIT: Just looked it up. 30 lb bags are about $50, while Iams 40 lb bags are $34. So it's pretty much double the price. Not sure if I can convince my parents to feed our dog at home anything like that.

Edited by JoeCoolMan24

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Feb 6, 2012 -> 03:23 PM)
Iamshack, what are your thoughts on that BLUE Buffalo dog food? Saw a commercial for it today, and assuming it's not ridiculously expensive, that might be an option.

It's pretty solid...the breeder that I got my Blur from had him on Blue Buffalo before I convinced her to switch to a brand called Precise, but it depends on breed.

What kind of dogs do you have, Joe?

QUOTE (iamshack @ Feb 6, 2012 -> 03:32 PM)
It's pretty solid...the breeder that I got my Blur from had him on Blue Buffalo before I convinced her to switch to a brand called Precise, but it depends on breed.

What kind of dogs do you have, Joe?

i could be a total smartass and tell you to read the beginning of the thread ;)

Golden Retrievers

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Feb 6, 2012 -> 04:07 PM)
i could be a total smartass and tell you to read the beginning of the thread ;)

Golden Retrievers

Ahh, that's right.

Well, all I'll say is this...I firmly believe you can recoup veterinarian costs by investing more in diet. The better ingredients in your dog's food, the less annoying issues that creep up and require veterinarian attention.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Feb 6, 2012 -> 04:23 PM)

EDIT: Just looked it up. 30 lb bags are about $50, while Iams 40 lb bags are $34. So it's pretty much double the price. Not sure if I can convince my parents to feed our dog at home anything like that.

My dog gets Wellness brand. Probably about the same price. The vet we go to approves.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Feb 6, 2012 -> 06:08 PM)
NSFWS

CIMG0227.jpg

CIMG0272.jpg

Kyle, you weren't kidding.

That being said, I'd still bet you if you went and got a big bag of turkey necks and gave them each one every day you'd see a marked improvement in 1-2 months.