The Pet Thread

iamshack

QUOTE (iamshack @ Feb 3, 2012 -> 09:42 PM)
Just to reiterate, there is nothing wrong with the concept of paying for a pet. The best breeders rarely make tons of profits off of the animals they sell; they merely love raising well-bred animals and improving the quality and of the breed.
just put the effort into making sure you know it is coming from a good breeder if you are going that way.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 3, 2012 -> 08:45 PM)
just put the effort into making sure you know it is coming from a good breeder if you are going that way.

Absolutely. Unfortunately, with the explosion of certain breeds (read Chihuahuas and PitBulls), backyard breeders pop up and attempt to produce as many pups as possible in the shortest amount of time in order to extract the most profit possible.

This is NOT the way or the people to buy a purebred dog from. When selecting a breeder, you should research research research. Look at lineages or pedigrees, ask questions, ask to see their home, where the pup was weened, the pup's parents, etc. The best breeders will be just as inquisitive about you as you should be about them, and not willing to just sell you a pup because you are willing to pay them their asking price.

To add to the heated argument between shack and HoT fIRe, we constantly had a filled bowl for our dog (mostly Border Collie, but definitely some Labrador and German Shepherd characteristics about him), and he overate. When he tore his ACL (or whatever it is for a dog), he was about 15 pounds overweight. And, considering how active he was, it's a bad thing he was overweight for any number of reasons.

Since that point in time, we have started feeding him twice a day, and he is much happier and healthier (though he's always going to have a sore knee). He may not eat his food at the time it's given to him, but being fed a certain amount at a time limits how much he will actually eat throughout the day as opposed to simply gorging himself at will.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Feb 4, 2012 -> 12:09 AM)
I think it's funny that people defend how great their cat is, by telling us the "dog-like" things it does. lol.

My cat is awesome because it gives massages. Dogs don't do that.

Oh, and they are soft and cuddly, which dogs are not. They produce far less dander than dogs which feels much better on my hands when petting. You have to actually bathe cats less often (though if you have a long hair cat, you should brush or comb them 1-2 per week). Oh, and you don't have to take them outside to go to the bathroom.

Cats are awesome.

Edited by witesoxfan

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Feb 4, 2012 -> 06:33 PM)
I like cats, I love dogs.

I do hate cats that just stay away from you, what's the point of owning it then if it just ignores you except when hungry. And I also can't stand dogs that bark constantly.

Pretty much the same with me. I love most dogs, and I like some cats. Social cats are pretty cool, and I would totally get one if it was really social. But anti-social cats that run and hide are useless. But you hardly ever meet a dog that doesn't love to be around people.

I enjoy cats, but allergies make them something that is more of a YouTube thing than a pet thing.

My dog is a poodle for the same reason, and even he can give me some allergic reaction.

I love animals and they seem to like me, but I can't own them.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Feb 4, 2012 -> 03:01 PM)
My cat is awesome because it gives massages. Dogs don't do that.

Oh, and they are soft and cuddly, which dogs are not. They produce far less dander than dogs which feels much better on my hands when petting. You have to actually bathe cats less often (though if you have a long hair cat, you should brush or comb them 1-2 per week). Oh, and you don't have to take them outside to go to the bathroom.

Cats are awesome.

I love you

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Feb 4, 2012 -> 05:33 PM)
I love cats, I like dogs.

QUOTE (Nunnigan @ Feb 5, 2012 -> 01:21 AM)
Anyone have any practical recommendations for dog breath stank?

There's tons of treats you can get that freshen their breath. There's also some sort of gel or something you can buy that helps, My mom uses it on our dog, I'll have to ask tomorrow.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Feb 5, 2012 -> 03:40 AM)
There's tons of treats you can get that freshen their breath. There's also some sort of gel or something you can buy that helps, My mom uses it, I'll have to ask tomorrow.

SF, I know what you meant, but the first time I read that, I think I read it wrong....

QUOTE (Nunnigan @ Feb 5, 2012 -> 01:21 AM)
Anyone have any practical recommendations for dog breath stank?

My female basset just went to the Vet for her introductory visit, and the plaque caked on her teeth was just hideous(Guess what Kyle, she is not a year old!). Its gonna cost me 250 to get her teeth cleaned

QUOTE (Brian @ Feb 5, 2012 -> 08:04 AM)
Do vets have to clean teeth or can I take dog to any cleaners?

LOL, its a veterinary Dentist. They have one on staff, so i just make an appt to get it done, so I am gonna have it done by the end of the month. The doc wanted us to let her get acclimated before we do it, so she doesnt get too freaked out.

I would take a picture of the plaque and post it, but it is seriously disgusting. I dont know what they fed this dog, but I am guessing it wasnt top of the line food, ever. And add to the fact that she seemingly had multiple litters of puppies, that is a huge drain on the vitamins the dog needs to stay healthy, so it is showing in the teeth/gumline.