The Pet Thread

iamshack

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Feb 3, 2012 -> 06:13 PM)
For those of you who were interested, and didn't have some sort of irrational, weird hate towards dog feeders, I asked my brother how he is planning on getting his puppy to use it and he said she is already using it, and has been since the day he got her. He said he just had to push the little door open and show her that there was food in it, and after a couple times she remembered and has been doing it for a couple weeks now. No over-eating or anything, at 3-months old she has learned to control herself.

Joe, it's not weird or irrational. It's called science.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Feb 3, 2012 -> 07:19 PM)
I'm talking about how your dog food is made. How do you think it ends up in those little nifty pellets? They put all kinds of horrible s*** in these mass-produced foods, including cheap crap fillers and they have even found other dead animal carcasses in them before.

Go to the website Iamscruelty.com to see how P&G operates as a company.

As for "trusting your dog," you are asking your dog to go against basically 20,000 years of evolution to eat this way. Wolves and later, domesticated dogs, hunted prey animals; they did not evolve to eat out of a "food dispenser." Additionally, their GI systems are not equipped to work this way. See my earlier post on liver functions.

So if you ENTIRE argument has been about COMMERCIAL DOG FOOD, then what does it matter whether we put it in a bowl and set it out twice a day, or dump it in to a dispenser? You seemed to be arguing the wrong thing.

I'm not going to get in an argument about what is better, commercial dog food vs. .....whatever you feed your dog, because it doesn't really matter to me, and there is actually valid reasons against commercial dog food. But the whole thing about using a dispenser was ridiculous. You seemed to be focusing your beef (no pun intended) on the wrong part of the conversation.

It's like a vegetarian yelling at a meat-eater for using a fork to eat his steak, and saying telling how dumb forks are and how lazy he is for using the fork, when the person SHOULD be directing the anger towards the person eating meat, not the fact that a fork is being used.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Feb 3, 2012 -> 06:28 PM)
So if you ENTIRE argument has been about COMMERCIAL DOG FOOD, then what does it matter whether we put it in a bowl and set it out twice a day, or dump it in to a dispenser? You seemed to be arguing the wrong thing.

I'm not going to get in an argument about what is better, commercial dog food vs. .....whatever you feed your dog, because it doesn't really matter to me, and there is actually valid reasons against commercial dog food. But the whole thing about using a dispenser was ridiculous. You seemed to be focusing your beef (no pun intended) on the wrong part of the conversation.

It's like a vegetarian yelling at a meat-eater for using a fork to eat his steak, and saying telling how dumb forks are and how lazy he is for using the fork, when the person SHOULD be directing the anger towards the person eating meat, not the fact that a fork is being used.

The two things are linked, and I explained why a few posts ago.

The ONLY reason this thing works for your dogs is because what you put into it is crap. Your dog doesn't really want to eat what comes out of it, and that is why it has "self-control" or whatever you are calling it. If you put anything in there that the dog actually enjoyed eating, it would not "control itself." It would eat until it was entirely full, then rest, then eat again. It would not slowly free feed throughout the day. The reason your dogs do that is because they do not enjoy eating the crappy food you give them. They know that is all they will get, however, and they also have a survival instinct, so they eat what they must to survive. They also know they don't need to do anything at all to get this food, other than simply stand in front of it and eat.

Additionally, IT IS NOT BIOLOGICALLY HEALTHY FOR YOUR DOG TO EAT IN THIS MANNER. His GI system does not work the way a human's does, so stop feeding him as a human would eat! Your dog's stomach needs time to rest. And when his stomach is resting, his liver needs to be functioning to transform fats into carbs. Without performing this function, your dog's GI system is not working correctly and your dog cannot properly metabolize its energy.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Feb 3, 2012 -> 07:56 PM)
The two things are linked, and I explained why a few posts ago.

The ONLY reason this thing works for your dogs is because what you put into it is crap. Your dog doesn't really want to eat what comes out of it, and that is why it has "self-control" or whatever you are calling it. If you put anything in there that the dog actually enjoyed eating, it would not "control itself." It would eat until it was entirely full, then rest, then eat again. It would not slowly free feed throughout the day. The reason your dogs do that is because they do not enjoy eating the crappy food you give them. They know that is all they will get, however, and they also have a survival instinct, so they eat what they must to survive. They also know they don't need to do anything at all to get this food, other than simply stand in front of it and eat.

Additionally, IT IS NOT BIOLOGICALLY HEALTHY FOR YOUR DOG TO EAT IN THIS MANNER. His GI system does not work the way a human's does, so stop feeding him as a human would eat! Your dog's stomach needs time to rest. And when his stomach is resting, his liver needs to be functioning to transform fats into carbs. Without performing this function, your dog's GI system is not working correctly and your dog cannot properly metabolize its energy.

Ok, well I am not going to make arguments FOR commercial dog foods. Some people buy reg. dog food, some people buy.... actually, I have no idea what the alternative is.....meat from a butcher? I have no idea, but anyway, whatever people want to feed their pets is fine with me.

But also, I don't know a single person DOESN'T feed their dog dogfood from a store, and I bet that's true for almost all the dog owners on this site. Again, not saying what's best, just saying I am not crazy evil dude because my dog eats commercial dog foods; it's what most people do.

Just glad we can get off the automatic dog feeder topic, because I was about to start pulling my hair out in confusion/frustration.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Feb 3, 2012 -> 08:06 PM)
Ok, well I am not going to make arguments FOR commercial dog foods. Some people buy reg. dog food, some people buy.... actually, I have no idea what the alternative is.....meat from a butcher? I have no idea, but anyway, whatever people want to feed their pets is fine with me.

But also, I don't know a single person DOESN'T feed their dog dogfood from a store, and I bet that's true for almost all the dog owners on this site. Again, not saying what's best, just saying I am not crazy evil dude because my dog eats commercial dog foods; it's what most people do.

Just glad we can get off the automatic dog feeder topic, because I was about to start pulling my hair out in confusion/frustration.

Honestly, the only argument for commercial dog food is cost and convenience. I don't blame people for feeding that since that is what their veterinarians (who should be a very trustworthy source of information on your dog) tell them to feed. However, if you do the research, or even try feeding dogs an alternative diet, it is painstakingly obvious how much more nutritious and natural it is for your dog.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Feb 3, 2012 -> 08:11 PM)
I want an Alaskan Malamute so bad.

The dog I adopted from my local shelter is a golden retriever/siberian husky...obviously not quite a malamute, but from that same family of breeds...I must say, he is one athletic, agile, smart little bastard...:)

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Feb 3, 2012 -> 08:11 PM)
I want an Alaskan Malamute so bad.

Those dogs looks awesome, but I would assume they shed a ton.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Feb 3, 2012 -> 08:12 PM)
Honestly, the only argument for commercial dog food is cost and convenience. I don't blame people for feeding that since that is what their veterinarians (who should be a very trustworthy source of information on your dog) tell them to feed. However, if you do the research, or even try feeding dogs an alternative diet, it is painstakingly obvious how much more nutritious and natural it is for your dog.

What do you feed your dog?

QUOTE (iamshack @ Feb 3, 2012 -> 07:13 PM)
The dog I adopted from my local shelter is a golden retriever/siberian husky...obviously not quite a malamute, but from that same family of breeds...I must say, he is one athletic, agile, smart little bastard...:)

I saw a pup a few years back when some girl was walking it on campus and I absolutely fell in love. Then my buddy moved in with a friend who had one and I was over there all the time. Absolutely the most badass dog on the planet. Only problem is I don't know where to get one. And I'd rather not pay $800 for one.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Feb 3, 2012 -> 07:15 PM)
Those dogs looks awesome, but I would assume they shed a ton.

That's what I've heard. Good part is that they can spend a ton of time outside, so they don't necessarily need to be inside all the time. But I'd certainly have mine inside most of the day. They're a big responsibility, but I'm willing to do it.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Feb 3, 2012 -> 07:31 PM)
I saw a pup a few years back when some girl was walking it on campus and I absolutely fell in love. Then my buddy moved in with a friend who had one and I was over there all the time. Absolutely the most badass dog on the planet. Only problem is I don't know where to get one. And I'd rather not pay $800 for one.

That's what I've heard. Good part is that they can spend a ton of time outside, so they don't necessarily need to be inside all the time. But I'd certainly have mine inside most of the day. They're a big responsibility, but I'm willing to do it.

If you want a purebred, then you better pucker up and get ready to drop more than $800 my friend. Of course, there are many rescue operations as well, but any rescued dog could have a number of different issues ranging from seperation anxiety and aggressiveness to my current issue, not being housebroken.

We had one when I was a teenager, the smartest dog I have ever had. I know my Dad dropped more than 1500 on her, and she was well worth it. We actually recieved a lineage sheet that traced her roots back to the owners original dogs from the 50s. I can look up the kennel if you want, they had a house with a large lot that backed up to the Dupage river.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 3, 2012 -> 07:52 PM)
Despite whatever was just said...please consider a rescue if you're even remotely willing.

I certainly wasnt intending to deter. I did just say that I rescued two bassets myself, but it is a reality of the situation. You should expect some work with rescued dogs, a lot of them are from bad situations and just need someone with patience. If you get a well trained rescued dog, you should consider yourself lucky

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Feb 3, 2012 -> 09:31 PM)
I certainly wasnt intending to deter. I did just say that I rescued two bassets myself, but it is a reality of the situation. You should expect some work with rescued dogs, a lot of them are from bad situations and just need someone with patience. If you get a well trained rescued dog, you should consider yourself lucky

My big issue is that a lot of those bad situations are the puppy mills that churn out the ones that are sold in so many places. So if you're not real careful about what you're buying, then it just makes the rescue situation worse. So I'm going for a rescue whenever I finally can own a place, I'll encourage rescues if possible, but then really make sure you check where you buy it from.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 3, 2012 -> 07:52 PM)
Despite whatever was just said...please consider a rescue if you're even remotely willing.

Rescues can be fantastic dogs, and I would never recommend against getting one. I have one now. However, find out as much information as possible about any rescue or shelter dog and be very careful about selecting one.

Secondly, there is nothing wrong and nothing to feel guilty about in buying a purebred dog from a breeder. Most breeders do a very solid job at what they do - mating the most healthy, well-tempered, intelligent, and pleasant dogs to one another in an attempt to produce the best dogs possible. While this is never full-proof, this is the best chance you have of obtaining a fantastic dog in the breed of your choice, and there is nothing wrong with doing so. This rescue rescue rescue mantra can sometimes imply that selecting a purebred dog or paying for a dog is wrong, when it is not.

What is wrong is puppy mills, ignorant backyard breeding, and people allowing their intact dogs to roam the neighborhood to breed to anyone they can find. Often times THIS is where rescue and shelter dogs come from, and by feeling as though it is necessary to select ONLY one of these dogs, this sort of irresponsible behavior is enabled or even encouraged.

Just to reiterate, there is nothing wrong with the concept of paying for a pet. The best breeders rarely make tons of profits off of the animals they sell; they merely love raising well-bred animals and improving the quality of the breed.

Edited by iamshack