Rumor? - Cubs deny consider playing at the Cell for 2013

chisoxfan09

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 16, 2012 -> 07:51 AM)
I am pretty sure the shell at least is a registered National Historical site. Even a remodel is a big pain in the ass involving tons of extra permits and agencies.

the marquee, bleacher wall(and ivy), and parts of the main entrance's exterior walls are landmarked. the grandstand is NOT.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A little off topic but does anyone know what exactly Theo did at Fenway to renovate without seemingly haveing to sacrifice the season? I think he only did some cosmetic refurb work and put some seats on top of the Green Monster, or am I way off?

QUOTE (SpainSOXfan09 @ Feb 16, 2012 -> 11:31 AM)
A little off topic but does anyone know what exactly Theo did at Fenway to renovate without seemingly haveing to sacrifice the season? I think he only did some cosmetic refurb work and put some seats on top of the Green Monster, or am I way off?

In that case, the ballpark was mostly structurally sound, so they did renovations sequentially over a series of offseasons. And I"m not sure how much you can credit "Theo" personally for the plan.

Before the 2003 season, seats were added to the Green Monster.

Before the 2004 season, seats were added to the right field roof, above the grandstand, called the Budweiser Right Field Roof.

Before the 2005 season, a new drainage system was installed on the field. The system, along with new sod, was installed to prevent the field from becoming too wet to play on during light to medium rains, and to reduce the time needed to dry the field adequately. Work on the field was completed only weeks prior to spring training.

After the 2005 season, the Red Sox completed their plans for the .406 Club area, which became the EMC Club. The construction resulted in 852 pavilion club seats, 745 pavilion box seats, and approximately 200 pavilion standing-room seats along the left- and right-field lines, resulting in approximately 1300 additional seats.

The winter of renovations focused on renovating the luxury boxes as well as adding a new food concourse area and renovated bathrooms behind the third base grandstands.

Before the 2008 season, the temporary luxury boxes installed for the 1999 All-Star Game were removed and permanent ones were added to the State Street Pavilion level. Seats were also added down the left field line called the Coca-Cola Party-Deck. 100 standing-room tickets were also added to the pavilion increasing capacity to just under 40,000 people. The Coke bottles, installed in 1997, were also removed to return the light towers to their original state. All bleacher seats were replaced and the seating bowl water-proofed as well.

Before the 2009 season, the right field roofbox seating area was renovated and expanded and the original 1912 seating bowl was water-proofed and seats replaced.

Before the 2010 season, the left field lower seating bowl was water-proofed and seats replaced. This was done in two phases to allow for the hosting of the NHL Winter Classic.

Before the 2011 season, three new scoreboards beyond right-center field were installed: a 38-by-100-foot scoreboard in right-center field, a 17-by-100-foot video screen in center field, a 16-by-30-foot video board in right field,[19] along with a new video control room. The Gate D concourse has undergone a complete remodel with new concession stands and improved pedestrian flow. The wooden grandstand seats were all removed to allow the completion of the waterproofing of the seating bowl and completely refurbished upon re-installation. The Red Sox originally planned to expand the bullpens to provide more room for pitchers to warm up, but that part of the renovation project was scrapped.

Wrigley's problem is that the stadium itself is approaching the point where it will no longer be a structurally sound building. Simply doing piecemeal renovations to add seating capacity will not change that fact.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 16, 2012 -> 11:18 AM)
In that case, the ballpark was mostly structurally sound, so they did renovations sequentially over a series of offseasons. And I"m not sure how much you can credit "Theo" personally for the plan.

Wrigley's problem is that the stadium itself is approaching the point where it will no longer be a structurally sound building. Simply doing piecemeal renovations to add seating capacity will not change that fact.

I was going to chime in with the same thing. The Theo hype is absurd.

Guys, they're not going to tear down the outfield. They just redid that--remember? And it is much better. There's no way they're getting rid of the old-school scoreboard or the ivy.

I would expect the grandstand will come down and be rebuilt, albeit with the original sign at the front saved (as it should be) and placed on the front of the new stadium.

QUOTE (sunofgold @ Feb 15, 2012 -> 04:44 PM)
Just wondering. Why not tear it all down and rebuild it. They would have about 18 months to complete it. Just work around the clock for 18 months. Then they could make it much better and then not worry about it again for a long time.

There is no arguing that it's a s***hole, but it's a s***hole I love. I don't think starting over from scratch would fly with Cub fans.

A few years ago, the Trib printed some suggestions for renovation. I think most of the ideas were along the lines of "get rid of the concrete chunks that fall on people". The one that caught my eye was the retractable video screen- have it out for night games, keep it concealed for day games. If not, why not buy out or partner up with a rooftop owner to build a video screen? Purists get to keep the park untouched, and the people like like loud noises and colorful pictures get their wish as well.

Anyone suggesting a Schaumburg or Arlington Heights move has either never been within 100 miles of Chicago, or is just trying to get a rise out of people.

QUOTE (Swingandalongonetoleft @ Feb 16, 2012 -> 12:14 PM)
There is no arguing that it's a s***hole, but it's a s***hole I love. I don't think starting over from scratch would fly with Cub fans.

A few years ago, the Trib printed some suggestions for renovation. I think most of the ideas were along the lines of "get rid of the concrete chunks that fall on people". The one that caught my eye was the retractable video screen- have it out for night games, keep it concealed for day games. If not, why not buy out or partner up with a rooftop owner to build a video screen? Purists get to keep the park untouched, and the people like like loud noises and colorful pictures get their wish as well.

Anyone suggesting a Schaumburg or Arlington Heights move has either never been within 100 miles of Chicago, or is just trying to get a rise out of people.

all ricketts needs to do is BUY one of the rooftops. then he can put up his jumbotron. and seein gas how 1/2 of teh rooftop owners are bleeding money, it's not inpossible to do that

You guys just mirrored what my Cub fan co-worker said: video screen = put it on one of the rooftops.

Seriously though: who the hell needs a video screen at a baseball game? Football, I can see that--wanting to see the replays etc.

But when do we ever look at the jumbotron at The Cell except for the opening montage? They don't replay controversial plays. So that leaves, what? The pizza races?

QUOTE (LVSoxFan @ Feb 16, 2012 -> 01:48 PM)
You guys just mirrored what my Cub fan co-worker said: video screen = put it on one of the rooftops.

Seriously though: who the hell needs a video screen at a baseball game? Football, I can see that--wanting to see the replays etc.

But when do we ever look at the jumbotron at The Cell except for the opening montage? They don't replay controversial plays. So that leaves, what? The pizza races?

Great plays are nice to watch again.

I've seen controversial plays on it before.

And out of town updates. Stats on a player.

I don't mind baseball without a scoreboard. It just means you have to pay attention to the game.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 16, 2012 -> 04:21 PM)
And with a scoreboard there would be less reason to pay attention.

I'm the opposite. I went to a game at Wrigley once. It was the Astros and Cubs so I really didn't care who won but I stop paying attention for a few minutes and missed a pitching change. Since I didn't have the players #'s memorized I had no idea who was on the mound.

If there was a scoreboard with that info on it, it would be easier to start paying attention again if you miss a few minutes.

Actually, I think it was the Astros that had switched pitchers and I was too far away to read the name on the back of his jersey.

Seriously though that scoreboard is useless if you don't know all the players numbers. I much prefer the scoreboards that give you the players last name and can show you stuff like current season stats, what they did in their last AB, ect...

I completely buy into the theory that one of the major factors in the Cubs not winning a Series in 100+ years in playing 81 games a year at Wrigley.

(I swear there was an article written recently, but damned if I can't remember where I saw it/who wrote it. Nor has google helped)

QUOTE (Cali @ Feb 17, 2012 -> 12:33 PM)
I completely buy into the theory that one of the major factors in the Cubs not winning a Series in 100+ years in playing 81 games a year at Wrigley.

(I swear there was an article written recently, but damned if I can't remember where I saw it/who wrote it. Nor has google helped)

There has been a lot of talk over the years about the day games killing them.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 17, 2012 -> 12:19 PM)
There has been a lot of talk over the years about the day games killing them.

Yeah that's gotta screw up your internal clock as a ballplayer when you mix that with road trip to places where you alternate night/day games. And playing ALL day games before '88? Forget about it...

QUOTE (Cali @ Feb 17, 2012 -> 02:25 PM)
Yeah that's gotta screw up your internal clock as a ballplayer when you mix that with road trip to places where you alternate night/day games. And playing ALL day games before '88? Forget about it...

I've also seen some discussions about it. Also, there is a lot to keep a rich 20-35 year old man busy in Chicago til the wee hours of the morning, which doesn't work well with so many day games.

Not that anyone besides delusional Cub fans should expect anything from the 2013 team, it would be interesting to see them play a different park with a more normal schedule as far as day games and night games, like would the 2008 Cubs playing at the Cell (or anywhere that's not Wrigley really) have gone to the Series?

QUOTE (Cali @ Feb 17, 2012 -> 04:16 PM)
Not that anyone besides delusional Cub fans should expect anything from the 2013 team, it would be interesting to see them play a different park with a more normal schedule as far as day games and night games, like would the 2008 Cubs playing at the Cell (or anywhere that's not Wrigley really) have gone to the Series?

The fact that they were playing at Wrigley didn't cost them the series against the Dodgers. Manroid's ridiculous run and the fact that the Cubs righties got tied up by LA's righties did.