Reports: Illini hire John Groce

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Mar 27, 2012 -> 08:52 AM)
Let me be clear though...a "bigger name" wasn't what I was after...it was the "experience" at stabilizing a locker room and dealing with the youngsters the Sox needed to develop that I was interested in. I could have been content with a surprise name if it met those standards.

A "bigger name" was a bit of a broad statement, as there were other factors in play as you mentioned. My point still stands that this is not the first or last time a fanbase has been critical of a coaching hire.

• Replies 647
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Mar 27, 2012 -> 08:52 AM)
Which everyone agrees he's very good at.

For those against the Groce hire, I agree, it's not exciting. But what the hell is the alternative? Reggie Theus? .

Um, did you watch Hang Time? His coaching of the Deering Tornadoes was remarkable.

At what point do you chalk up your disappointment to the fact you have unrealistic expectations?

Was Weber really that big of a hire? 2 conference titles in the MVC (1 shared) 3 average seasons and 2 tourney appearances with 1 sweet sixteen. Groce's year this season mirrors alot of Webers second to last season at SIU. Took a team from under .500 to 29-8 with a sweet sixteen run. 11-5 in conference to Webers 14-4.

Edited by RockRaines

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Mar 27, 2012 -> 09:46 AM)
At what point do you chalk up your disappointment to the fact you have unrealistic expectations?

^^^

The really good sounding coaches aren't in hiding so that you can't happen to think of them. What's out there is out there.

Would it make the MAC haters feel better if we pretend this guy didn't coach at Ohio? Let's just say he was a highly successful lead recruiter at a top program.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Mar 27, 2012 -> 03:46 PM)

Was Weber really that big of a hire? 2 conference titles in the MVC (1 shared) 3 average seasons and 2 tourney appearances with 1 sweet sixteen. Groce's year this season mirrors alot of Webers second to last season at SIU. Took a team from under .500 to 29-8 with a sweet sixteen run. 11-5 in conference to Webers 14-4.

Weber coached in the far superior MVC, won at a much better rate, won the league twice, and went to the sweet sixteen. Groce is 34 and 30 in the MAC, never finished higher than third, and did go to the sweet sixteen. Oh yeah, Weber coached in the state while Groce never has. Yeah, I think its safe to say Bruce Weber was a lot better hire than John Groce

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Mar 27, 2012 -> 09:18 AM)
Klee and Prep Bullseye saying Jerrance is gone if Groce is hired. Even better.

that doesn't make much sense to me, unless he's got some beef with Groce. Jerrance has said since day one he wants to stay at Illinois. Not sure why the coach would matter.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Mar 27, 2012 -> 12:24 PM)
LOL, now we've officially gone off the deep end.

Seriously.

I get Groce isn't a sexy hire, but you have to trust Thomas and his ability to evaluate coaching talent in the lesser conferences. He's done it before, and now we have to see if it's legit or he just got lucky beforehand.

We went after the big names, and they didn't want to come here, for whatever reason (probably because the school admin is f***ED up right now). Thus, we have to rely on Thomas and his ability to pick good, young talented coaches.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Mar 27, 2012 -> 12:27 PM)
That is the only reason I can think that Jerrance would leave, feeling slighted that they picked Groce over him.

I still think Collins is better than Groce, but well never know.

Jerrance is being ridiculous than, Groce has a much better pedigree than him.

Collins would be a decent look at, but Thomas always hires head coaches, not assistants.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Mar 27, 2012 -> 06:21 PM)
Jerrance would have been a better hire than Groce.

Jerrance would have been one of the worst possible hires

But perhaps you're right. At least we don't know yet whether or not he is a mediocre head coach, like Groce has proven to be, and he at least has in state connections, unlike Groce. I mean if we are going to hire a guy for simply being a good assistant coach, might as well be our own.

And what kills me is that the one thing that you have to have in college sports is a recruiter, and by all accounts, from just about everyone, the guy recruits really, really well.

I'm not 100% thrilled, but they could have done much worse. He seems like a guy that really wants the job. With Shaka or Stevens, unless they had immediate success, I think you'd have to be concerned about them taking off in 4-5 years.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Mar 27, 2012 -> 12:31 PM)
And what kills me is that the one thing that you have to have in college sports is a recruiter, and by all accounts, from just about everyone, the guy recruits really, really well.

I'm not 100% thrilled, but they could have done much worse. He seems like a guy that really wants the job. With Shaka or Stevens, unless they had immediate success, I think you'd have to be concerned about them taking off in 4-5 years.

If they do take him, I'll choose to look at the positives. He was a great recruiter, his team seemed to really care about him, he got the most of his players in big moments, and you have to love his intensity and desire to win. He really seems to instill confidence in his players.

Evan Turner @thekidet

Coach Groce's offense is legit. Built for guards. The big ten is going to get even better in the future. Yessir

Evan Turner @thekidet

@BP3 you're going to enjoy Groce's offense if he's your new coach, believe me!