Reports: Illini hire John Groce

In other coach searching news the SIU search could not be going in more of an opposite direction than the U of I hunt. Mario Moccia(our ad) has done a great job in keeping the whole thing under wraps, I'm kind of concerned that Robin Ventura might be our new coach...

• Replies 647
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Mar 25, 2012 -> 09:26 PM)
In other coach searching news the SIU search could not be going in more of an opposite direction than the U of I hunt. Mario Moccia(our ad) has done a great job in keeping the whole thing under wraps, I'm kind of concerned that Robin Ventura might be our new coach...

In other news, no one on a national level gives a f*** about the SIU search. Not hard to keep it under wraps.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Mar 25, 2012 -> 09:55 PM)
I'd be shocked if it's anyone but Groce.

I'll expect the presser Tuesday or Wednesday.

f*** that. If it happens, I will continue my Illini basketball boycott. Ohio never even won a conference title in the MAC. What a joke.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Mar 25, 2012 -> 09:56 PM)
In other news, no one on a national level gives a f*** about the SIU search. Not hard to keep it under wraps.

But it is very hard to keep it under wraps to people who are close to the program and follow the situation like Justin and I do.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Mar 25, 2012 -> 10:33 PM)
f*** that. If it happens, I will continue my Illini basketball boycott. Ohio never even won a conference title in the MAC. What a joke.

Yet he's had actual tournament wins, and for a MAC team thats pretty tremendous. He also comes from a pretty successful coaching tree.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Mar 26, 2012 -> 09:40 AM)
Yet he's had actual tournament wins, and for a MAC team thats pretty tremendous. He also comes from a pretty successful coaching tree.

A lot of OSU fans are telling us this would be a good hire, they'd take him if Matta wasn't there.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Mar 21, 2012 -> 04:08 PM)
Not right now there aren't, at least nowhere he's going. So if you are speaking short term, you're clearly wrong.

If you want to talk long term, he's not on TV so people can begin to know about him, everyone already does. You don't get jobs based on TV appearances, you get them on results. And a top 5 job, if that's what he's holding out for, won't be influenced by studio work on CBS. That's ridiculous.

I am talking about TV in a very general sense. A lot of my opinion is based on my father in law who was a D1 AD. Seeing how a guy handles the media is nice. Being a "name" that will help with fundraising and boosters is a plus. And it isn't just the basketball fans that they want to raise money from, but the average alumni who just wants that school pride and band wagon jumpers.

And every coach benefits in different ways and different levels. Certainly the out of work coach gains the most from continued national coverage. A guy who is taking his team to the final 4, probably very little. Unless you make a Jimmy the Greek or Al Companas type remark, you can't be hurt by television appearances.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Mar 25, 2012 -> 09:26 PM)

I heard they were checking Monster.com and Careerbuilders for a candidate

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Mar 26, 2012 -> 10:09 AM)
34-30 in the MAC. Mediocrity at its finest.

With Groce, you can cherry pick stats from either side of the aisle to support him or not. The record argument, to me, is extremely misleading. I have no idea what kind of team Groce took over. I know that they won 19 games the year before, but were they a senior laden team? His teams records seem to have improved each year he was there. So I'm not overly concerned about the record. Here are the facts I like about him:

He took over a school that hadn't won a tournament game since 1983 and won three games in two different tournaments.

He was Rivals' 2006 recruiter of the year for the Oden/Conley/Cook class.

Ohio State fans seem to think he would be the ideal replacement for Matta if he ever left.

Groce brings recruiting ties to other areas of the midwest.

He isn't the biggest "name" hire, but MT tried to get Shaka, he tried to get Stevens. When those guys said no, isn't Groce as good of a name out there as anyone? High upside. Young, energetic. His teams play an entertaining brand of basketball.

I'd be ok with the hire.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Mar 26, 2012 -> 11:09 AM)

That seems like the kind of record a team might put up when they hire a new coach and that coach struggles his first year or two then has the team gradually improving?

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Mar 26, 2012 -> 10:09 AM)

It was a crappy program to begin with though. And he did take them to the sweet 16...should have been the elite eight...this year.

He's the best option out there I think. My list was Stevens, Shaka and Buzz. The first 2 were not very realistic, and Marquette is becoming a top level Big East school. Not sure who else would be better at this point.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Mar 26, 2012 -> 09:58 AM)
A lot of OSU fans are telling us this would be a good hire, they'd take him if Matta wasn't there.

I am not sure thats accurate, but he's fairly well regarded in OSU circles. OU hasnt even gotten a ton of talent, even as far as the MAC goes. However 2 tourney appearances in 3 years coaching speaks pretty highly of the job he's done. There are many teams mentioned in these threads that havent accomplished that even with superior talent. I dont think Illinois is quite the job many fans think it is, but it COULD be the kind of job where an up and comer makes his name and stays for a LONG successful time.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Mar 26, 2012 -> 10:18 AM)
That seems like the kind of record a team might put up when they hire a new coach and that coach struggles his first year or two then has the team gradually improving?

Granted they have improved under him, but it would be nice to actually win a weak conference like that.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Mar 26, 2012 -> 11:49 AM)
It tells you something. I mean, the whole point of basketball is to win games, right?

Only if you consider the circumstances. A guy who takes over a 2 win team and turns them into a 20 win team 3 years later will have a terrible record.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Mar 26, 2012 -> 10:55 AM)
Only if you consider the circumstances. A guy who takes over a 2 win team and turns them into a 20 win team 3 years later will have a terrible record.

The previous coach left to go coach Bryant University, a school transitioning from DII to DI. That should tell you something about what was expected out of Ohio U the next few seasons.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Mar 26, 2012 -> 10:43 AM)
I am not sure thats accurate, but he's fairly well regarded in OSU circles. OU hasnt even gotten a ton of talent, even as far as the MAC goes. However 2 tourney appearances in 3 years coaching speaks pretty highly of the job he's done. There are many teams mentioned in these threads that havent accomplished that even with superior talent. I dont think Illinois is quite the job many fans think it is, but it COULD be the kind of job where an up and comer makes his name and stays for a LONG successful time.

There's no question that it's got the potential to be a top tier program. Not on the Kentucky/UNC/Kansas/Duke-success level, but right under that. But the problem has been consistency. Unfortunately the longest tenured coach after Henson has been Weber. Had Kruger stayed I think we'd be in a different position today. Had Self stayed we'd be in a different position today. But it is what it is.

My hope is that the next coach can come in here and coach Paul/Richardson and the sophomores up and make them a tournament team. There's enough talent on the roster, but whether it can happen just depends on how the players respond. My other hope is that the next coach can strike a chord with Parker/Nunn/Hamilton and sell them on a revitalized program that can play the role of Kentucky for a year or two to go along with the new digs at the Assembly Hall.

And since I'll be winning the mega millions tomorrow, i'll be buying a nice court side seats to watch it all unfold. :headbang

Edited by Jenksismybitch