Reports: Illini hire John Groce

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Mar 23, 2012 -> 04:52 PM)
Don't know much about Steven's last year, but any particular reason why they were so much worse? Players leaving?

I don't follow them enough, but I kept hearing the experts this year talking about how loaded Butler was gonna be next season, FWIW.

• Replies 647
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Mar 23, 2012 -> 10:52 PM)
Some random Illini board I was reading had a guy that found a plane going from Indy to Willard, speculating that Stevens is on it.

Don't know much about Steven's last year, but any particular reason why they were so much worse? Players leaving?

The plane stuff is a long running message joke for coaching searches of any kind. But yeah, it landed like an hour ago and is coming back tonight.

And because, yeah, Howard and Mack were gone. Mack to the NBA.

Edited by Buehrle>Wood

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Mar 23, 2012 -> 05:01 PM)
The plane stuff is a long running message joke for coaching searches of any kind. But yeah, it landed like an hour ago and is coming back tonight.

And because, yeah, Howard and Mack were gone. Mack to the NBA.

I found it quite hilarious which is why I posted it here.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Mar 23, 2012 -> 06:07 PM)
Stevens denies any contact.

However he was drawing with chalk with his daughter. Maybe he was drawing big block I's and replicas of the Assembly Hall roof.

Stay tuned.

Why would anyone do that to their driveway?

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Mar 23, 2012 -> 09:04 PM)
Looks like the Frank Martin train might be headed to South Carolina....

Thats what we're hoping, at least. We'll see if we're just being played for a KSU raise, or what, soon enough.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Mar 24, 2012 -> 06:25 PM)

I think Jerry Sloan would be rolling around laughing when the subject of Reggie and defense came up. I really wonder what his Chicago connections are these days. He was traded by the Bulls 28 years ago. He also doesn't seem like a guy that would enjoy Champaign for very long, but he still might be a decent coach, but I think it would be short term. If he were successful, IMO he'd look to get back into the NBA or a more urban location.

Something fun, Reggie dated Michael Jordan's ex-wife before Michael met her. Michael was even more intense than usual when he played against ready and with Reggie's reluctance to play defense anyway, MJ used to come up huge.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Mar 25, 2012 -> 06:00 PM)
Brad Stevens rumors heating up again. Supposedly he wants the same $$$ package that was offered to Shaka.

1) he's just backing his buddy Groce, or 2) he's playing Butler for more money like Shaka did. I refuse to get sucked into this story until it's out that he's agreed to be the coach.

Illinois is strongly considering Ohio's John Groce

Ohio University's John Groce has emerged as a legitimate candidate to replace Bruce Weber at Illinois.

Sources told CBSSports.com that Groce, who led the Bobcats to the Sweet 16 this season, has been contacted by the Illini -- via a third-party -- and has expressed interest in the position.

VCU coach Shaka Smart was Mike Thomas' first choice, but Smart spurned the Illini last week. Thomas then, through search firm Parker Executive Search firm, reached out to Butler's Brad Stevens to gauge his interest. Stevens also declined.

Now Groce, who has led Ohio to a pair of NCAA tournament appearances in his four-year tenure at Ohio, has emerged. Groce was best-known for being the lead recruiter and landing Greg Oden and Mike Conley when he was an assistant for Thad Matta at Ohio State.

Groce, 40, also worked with Matta and Butler and Xavier. He has a 85-56 mark at Ohio, including 70-39 in the past three years.

Brad Stevens says no. Found this tweet interesting.

Gary Parrish‏@GaryParrishCBS

I'm told Brad Stevens' coaching friends advised him against the Illinois job -- basically said, "That's not the job for you."

Edited by LittleHurt05