Reports: Illini hire John Groce

QUOTE (Rex Hudler @ Mar 28, 2012 -> 08:23 AM)
remember Mark Jewell?

Yeah.

Chris Street and Dr. Tom Davis even came to our dorm once and I was asking him about his PhD in Pilgrim Athletics in the Colonies, lol.

Sad thing what happened to Chris, I was in graduate school then in Georgia.

That's also around the time all that stuff with Bruce Pearl, Deion Thomas and Collins was going on.

Edited by caulfield12

• Replies 647
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds like no announcement of a coach today either. I cannot believe some fans want Reggie Theus. His roster at New Mexico St. was full of transfers, with some due to criminal reasons. It would be funny to see Theus and Hoiberg go after the same reclamation projects.

QUOTE (fathom @ Mar 28, 2012 -> 11:59 AM)
Sounds like no announcement of a coach today either. I cannot believe some fans want Reggie Theus. His roster at New Mexico St. was full of transfers, with some due to criminal reasons. It would be funny to see Theus and Hoiberg go after the same reclamation projects.

Not true they announced woman's coach. :lolhitting

QUOTE (fathom @ Mar 28, 2012 -> 04:59 PM)

Good. Just wait until the final 4. Maybe we get lucky and someone approaches us.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Mar 28, 2012 -> 01:45 AM)
Hmmm....interesting, I always heard the opposite, that he was a jerk and pretty self-centered.

Maybe my Hawkeye bias, haha.

I did spend a lot of time around the team from 1988-1990, I was one of Roy Marble's "tutors/ghostwriters." Makes me feel so old to see his son now playing for Iowa.

I've met him and my mom knows him pretty well. Extremely nice guy, really humble. Gave my mom his leather Sonics team jacket way back in the day. He's a fun guy to be around, always joking.

I love it

One fan base is donating its money to keep its coach

The other wants to donate money so they dont hire the coach.

Which one of these teams actually made the tourney?

Which one has actually won its conference tournament in the last 5 years?

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Mar 28, 2012 -> 03:28 PM)
I love it

One fan base is donating its money to keep its coach

The other wants to donate money so they dont hire the coach.

Which one of these teams actually made the tourney?

Which one has actually won its conference tournament in the last 5 years?

I wouldn't use "fan base". Most knowledgeable posters that I respect from other sites think it's a pretty solid hiring.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Mar 28, 2012 -> 03:44 PM)
If we are making a hire based on the hope of winning a conference tournament, then oh boy we are in even worse s*** then I thought.

Its been since 2005 since you've won anything in conference. The tourney would be a start.

Illinois fans live longer off of a near championship than Sox fans do after a real championship.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Mar 28, 2012 -> 09:52 PM)
Its been since 2005 since you've won anything in conference. The tourney would be a start.

Illinois fans live longer off of a near championship than Sox fans do after a real championship.

Of course I would love to win a conference tournament. The fact that its a relative criteria for a new coach is hysterical, especially considering the conferences we are talking about.

If Illinois were to win a conference tournament, that would mean they would probably be a top 3 seed in conference and from then on, winning said conference tourney would propel them to maybe a #4 seed in the tournament and an Elite 8 game maybe.

Its just funny that some Illini fans think they are too good for Groce. That cracks me up.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Mar 28, 2012 -> 03:59 PM)
Of course I would love to win a conference tournament. The fact that its a relative criteria for a new coach is hysterical, especially considering the conferences we are talking about.

Well, its not like perennial conference champions are hopping at the idea of being Illinois head coach right this second. You have to look at something to pick a coach with the hope of him hopefully picking the school and continuing to win with superior talent. There just isnt anyone out there that is overwhelming. This is exactly why I think they could stand to wait several months. You have a decently young team, dont need to crush recruiting right off the bat. Might as well wait and get it right.

Honestly, I hope they dont take a mid-major guy mostly because Matta is just about retired and I am hoping nobody cherry picks Chris Jent from our bench, especially if Ohio loses Groce. Jent is basically a coach in waiting on the bench. Jeff Boals is probably in line for a head coaching job soon as well.

QUOTE (Brian @ Mar 28, 2012 -> 04:05 PM)
If Illinois were to win a conference tournament, that would mean they would probably be a top 3 seed in conference and from then on, winning said conference tourney would propel them to maybe a #4 seed in the tournament and an Elite 8 game maybe.

Its just funny that some Illini fans think they are too good for Groce. That cracks me up.

I do think Groce's pedigree is a bit lacking from what you would want at Illinois, but Thomas has proven at Cincy that he could evaluate these up and comers from mid major schools very well, and so I just have to trust him on his judgment for now.

It also helps when many people that know Groce and his background love him and think he'll do great here.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Mar 28, 2012 -> 10:09 PM)
I do think Groce's pedigree is a bit lacking from what you would want at Illinois, but Thomas has proven at Cincy that he could evaluate these up and comers from mid major schools very well, and so I just have to trust him on his judgment for now.

It also helps when many people that know Groce and his background love him and think he'll do great here.

Thomas has only found Mic Cronin on the basketball side. Two appearances in six years isn't exactly great, but who am I kidding I would love to have a coach like him now.

But you're in saying Groces pedigree is lacking. This guy doesn't have anywhere near the coaching track record Weber, Self, or Kruger did coming in. It's easy to see why we think we could get better. But since those coaches aren't coming a long, I'm all for a risky hire, someone that could hopefully restore some pride in the program and get some kids out of Chicago. Groce is both boring and doesn't have a good head coaching background. That's no good.

QUOTE (fathom @ Mar 28, 2012 -> 11:59 AM)

I think Illinois fans would be happy with what we had on the floor this year.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 28, 2012 -> 09:30 PM)
I wonder if this drags out much longer, will Groce drop out/

Completely unreputable message board sources say the holding point is the staff that would be put together. If he wants Jerrance out, then I would be really upset. Jerrance is the best asset we have right now.