South Region

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (zenryan @ Mar 15, 2012 -> 06:25 PM)
Long Beach and Wichita St lets down a lot of people who bought into the experts hype.

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

Long Beach State played a very very good New Mexico team. At the same time, Long Beach's best to 2nd best player (depending on who you ask) was injured.

Notre Dame blew up at the end with a lane violation and an "intentional" foul in the last 2.8 seconds.

And once again, the announcers don't know the lane violation rule. Kellog at least recognized that it was a correct call, but he stated more than once that the player can not come from behind the 3-pt line before the ball is released. The rule states you can't cross that line until the ball hits the rim, blah blah blah.

It doesn't surprise me that the NBA guys wouldn't get it right, but Kellog should know better.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Mar 16, 2012 -> 09:35 PM)
I'd have to go look it up, but just by memory, I believe Duke is also the team that got closest to losing as a 1 vs a 16. U of New Orleans took them to OT, I believe, back in the 80's.

I know #16 seed Princeton lost to #1 Georgtown by one point one year. Couldn't tell you the year, but if memory serves, Ewing was on that G'town team.

Lehigh has a very real shot to make it to the Sweet 16. Watched them play in Hilton earlier this year, they certainly aren't intimidated. They'll be pretty good next year as well.

Can't wait til Iowa State-Kentucky. Who knows what's going to happen. We wanted a shot and now we've got it. Hoiberg turned out to be a better coach than I thought much quicker than I thought. Hopefully it's one of those games that makes this weekend one of the best of the year.

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Mar 17, 2012 -> 01:37 PM)
Can't wait til Iowa State-Kentucky. Who knows what's going to happen. We wanted a shot and now we've got it. Hoiberg turned out to be a better coach than I thought much quicker than I thought. Hopefully it's one of those games that makes this weekend one of the best of the year.

Unfortunately, whether it's fate, the plan of selection committee, the refs, of making sure I have something to do on Thursday, somehow we're going to wind up with The Rematch happening in the Sweet 16.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Mar 17, 2012 -> 01:21 PM)
Unfortunately, whether it's fate, the plan of selection committee, the refs, of making sure I have something to do on Thursday, somehow we're going to wind up with The Rematch happening in the Sweet 16.

Just like Kentucky-UConn and Kentucky-Duke, right? :P

Yeah, I couldn't honestly say I expected Hoiberg to get that team to the Big Dance so quickly, but they've got a lot of talent.

The question is always going to be about sustaining success and long-term recruiting at both ISU and Iowa.

Iowa is finally trending upwards, there's a very strong recruiting class, but we do lose Gatens and Cartwright. On the other hand, Aaron White is an emerging star and Basabe can't play any worse in comparison to how good he was as a freshman, assuming he doesn't transfer out of the program and head back east. Would have loved to see what would have happened this year had we been able to keep both Ben Brust and Cody Larson (Florida).

For the first time in about 6-7 years, there's reason(s) for optimism in Iowa City.

Maybe that makes me feel better about Robin Ventura, that someone like Hoiberg could come in and have (relative) success so quickly without much experience.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Mar 17, 2012 -> 01:46 PM)
Yeah, I couldn't honestly say I expected Hoiberg to get that team to the Big Dance so quickly, but they've got a lot of talent.

The question is always going to be about sustaining success and long-term recruiting at both ISU and Iowa.

Iowa is finally trending upwards, there's a very strong recruiting class, but we do lose Gatens and Cartwright. On the other hand, Aaron White is an emerging star and Basabe can't play any worse in comparison to how good he was as a freshman, assuming he doesn't transfer out of the program and head back east. Would have loved to see what would have happened this year had we been able to keep both Ben Brust and Cody Larson (Florida).

For the first time in about 6-7 years, there's reason(s) for optimism in Iowa City.

Maybe that makes me feel better about Robin Ventura, that someone like Hoiberg could come in and have (relative) success so quickly without much experience.

Both programs are in better shape than they've been in quite a while.

Well, it's nice to see Iowa basketball in one shape or form back in the news, with Creighton and ISU.

It has been a pretty dead and disappointing 10 year period for the sport.

In the late 70's, 80's and 90's, guess both ISU and Iowa fans got a little spoiled.

Actually, you could go back about 10 years when Iowa (flopped with Recker and Evans) and ISU (Hampton loss) both had teams in the Top 10...and then Iowa in 2005-2006 with Brunner, Jeff Horner, Haluska and Tyler Smith.

Sad thing what happened with Eustachy, but if you read some of the stories about the USM program this season, it seems like he's in a great place...too bad they lost or his redemption story would have become a lot more prominent in the national press.

Heads, I'm your biggest guest ISU fan tonight.

As far as Indiana, I am absolutely loving that everyone thinks we're overrated, can't win outside of Assembly Hall, are unathletic, have no depth, no experience. Keep picking us to lose "experts". I am not predicting an upset of Kentucky in the sweet sixteen, but if we get there and beat them, watch all these "experts" talk about how good IU is and act as if they saw it coming.

Back to reality. I am enjoying the underdog role. We're a 5-6 point favorite and no one thinks we'll win. I went to a VCU thread and they have no clue about our team, like most of these national pundits. They say we're hurt because we lost our point guard (Verdell Jones III was not our PG), they say we're unathletic and will do everything we can to slow the tempo. They think Zeller is our only good player. We have weaknesses, it just seems no one knows what they are.

IU will win today if they stay composed, attack the press and score off it, not just beat it. If they are pesky on defense and keep VCU (which is not a good offensive team) from scoring runs it will be that much tougher for them to organize the press and make it effective. I'm not guaranteeing a win, nor predicting a blowout. But IU will win if they push the tempo and keep their composure.

Edited by Rex Hudler