2012-2013 NCAA Basketball thread

I may have a crisis coming, guys. I am not far from applying to graduate schools, and I will probably apply to Iowa, UW, IU, Michigan, and Northwestern in the B1G. If I go to one of these schools, do I change allegiances? Do I change if I go to a non-B1G school?

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jake @ Mar 8, 2013 -> 09:04 AM)
I may have a crisis coming, guys. I am not far from applying to graduate schools, and I will probably apply to Iowa, UW, IU, Michigan, and Northwestern in the B1G. If I go to one of these schools, do I change allegiances? Do I change if I go to a non-B1G school?

I don't see how going to grad school would change an allegiance, whether in or out of the big ten. Most of the people I know that went to grad school don't really care about the teams there.

I don't see how going to grad school would change an allegiance, whether in or out of the big ten. Most of the people I know that went to grad school don't really care about the teams there.

I went to MSU for grad school and it became my second favorite school, but I still root for ND whenever they play.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Mar 8, 2013 -> 09:06 AM)

Agreed. I know some people whose grad school is their second favorite school, but it doesn't switch the primary one. I would (and did) only switch allegiances for the undergrad choice.

QUOTE (farmteam @ Mar 8, 2013 -> 09:42 AM)
Agreed. I know some people whose grad school is their second favorite school, but it doesn't switch the primary one. I would (and did) only switch allegiances for the undergrad choice.

Yea if I went to NW for an MBA I of course would be damn proud of that and follow them more closely, but when they play the Illini there would only be orange on my shoulders.

Some people don't even switch allegiances for their undergrad school. I have a friend whose family is from East Lansing and the parents both work at MSU. One of the kids went to Michigan just to get some distance from home but he remained a die hard MSU fan.

A lot of people in Indiana are IU hoops and ND football fans and remain that way even if they go to one of the two schools.

My cousin is a HS geography teacher and for the past few years, as a tie-in to US geography, he has the class create an NCAA tournament bracket that has exactly one team from each state and DC, with the exception of Alaska since there are no DI teams there. To eliminate the subjectivity in selecting teams, they used this weeks coaches poll for the Top 25 and the RPI for rest of the teams as their criteria for selecting the team from each state and then to rank the selected teams 1-50. Teams are then seeded and placed into four regions, except that to keep the geography theme stronger, he doesn't include any rules about teams from the same conference, avoiding rematches, etc.

This is what they came up with:

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Mar 9, 2013 -> 04:30 PM)
So is there anyone with a decent chance to knock of Gonzaga or do they have the #1 overall all but wrapped up?

Well San Francisco may have only won 9 games, but they are on an upset terror in the tourney with three straight. They have the Zags later today. Okay, so that won't happen, but St. Mary's maybe could.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Mar 9, 2013 -> 10:41 AM)
Well San Francisco may have only won 9 games, but they are on an upset terror in the tourney with three straight. They have the Zags later today. Okay, so that won't happen, but St. Mary's maybe could.

I think you mean Loyola Marymount, not San Fran. They went 1-15 in conference, yet are 3-0 in the tourney so far. 21 point underdogs

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Mar 9, 2013 -> 10:30 AM)
So is there anyone with a decent chance to knock of Gonzaga or do they have the #1 overall all but wrapped up?

Even if they win the WCC tourney, I don't think they have the #1 overall wrapped up. If Duke or Indiana win out, they could easily take over the #1 overall seed, as they would add a few more big wins to their resumes.

Mizzou with another embarrassing loss to a garbage team. They're up 8 with less than 10 minutes to go. All they have to do is play smart, even basketball for a few minutes and Tennessee probably folds. Instead, as always on the road, they collapse right at the point where they can put the other team away. I'm so tired of being the resume boosting win for these mediocre SEC teams.

They have the ball down 3 with 20 seconds left and everyone who's watched Missouri this year knows Pressey isn't going to pass the ball and is going to take the 3 even though he's not a good 3 point shooter. Haith screams at him at the timeout after, but it's his fault for not knowing his player. Call the timeout beforehand and run a play instead of letting the play run and allowing something stupid to happen.

There's 4 players with a chance to play in the NBA on this team yet they can't win a game on the road against anyone with a pulse. I continue to hope Haith gets fired for this Miami scandal. Look at all the success a real coach is having with his players at Miami. It's a joke.

Am i correct that Illinois is playing for a 7 or 8 seed in the BTT tomorrow? It appears Iowa has the 6 seed locked up and Minny the 9 seed after today's games. That is if I understood the tiebreakers right. Here is what I've got so far...

1. Indiana

6. Iowa

7. Purdue or Illinois

8. Illinois or Purdue

9. Minnesota

10. Nebraska

11. Northwestern

12. Penn State

2-5 still have too many possibilities. For example, Michigan could be a 2, 3, 4 or 5 seed depending on what happens Sunday.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Mar 9, 2013 -> 06:05 PM)
Mizzou with another embarrassing loss to a garbage team. They're up 8 with less than 10 minutes to go. All they have to do is play smart, even basketball for a few minutes and Tennessee probably folds. Instead, as always on the road, they collapse right at the point where they can put the other team away. I'm so tired of being the resume boosting win for these mediocre SEC teams.

They have the ball down 3 with 20 seconds left and everyone who's watched Missouri this year knows Pressey isn't going to pass the ball and is going to take the 3 even though he's not a good 3 point shooter. Haith screams at him at the timeout after, but it's his fault for not knowing his player. Call the timeout beforehand and run a play instead of letting the play run and allowing something stupid to happen.

There's 4 players with a chance to play in the NBA on this team yet they can't win a game on the road against anyone with a pulse. I continue to hope Haith gets fired for this Miami scandal. Look at all the success a real coach is having with his players at Miami. It's a joke.

That garbage team has won 8 of 9 and is largely considered to be in the tournament by most people. Plus, Jordan McRae should be the SEC POY. It's not that bad of a loss. It's hard to win at Tennessee. But you're right about Haith being a joke. He's not good.

QUOTE (dasox24 @ Mar 9, 2013 -> 05:33 PM)
That garbage team has won 8 of 9 and is largely considered to be in the tournament by most people. Plus, Jordan McRae should be the SEC POY. It's not that bad of a loss. It's hard to win at Tennessee. But you're right about Haith being a joke. He's not good.

They were out before that win by some. It's hard to win at Tennessee because they usually have good teams. This year's team is mediocre.

QUOTE (zenryan @ Mar 9, 2013 -> 08:59 PM)
Gonzaga really proving that they are worth that #1 ranking...

No one with a brain should vote them No. 1. It's the same thing as Boise State football. Talk to me when you play good teams on a regular basis. Thankfully the tournament solves all.

QUOTE (Rex Hudler @ Mar 9, 2013 -> 06:12 PM)
Am i correct that Illinois is playing for a 7 or 8 seed in the BTT tomorrow? It appears Iowa has the 6 seed locked up and Minny the 9 seed after today's games. That is if I understood the tiebreakers right. Here is what I've got so far...

1. Indiana

6. Iowa

7. Purdue or Illinois

8. Illinois or Purdue

9. Minnesota

10. Nebraska

11. Northwestern

12. Penn State

2-5 still have too many possibilities. For example, Michigan could be a 2, 3, 4 or 5 seed depending on what happens Sunday.

Yes. Win and it's 7 vs Nebraska, lose and it's 8 vs Minnesota.

No more excuses. No more not showing up. No more letdowns.

You want to be a #1 team IU, stand up and show it. You're talented enough to. Play like it today. You either take that title on your own or you share it with so many people we might as well laugh.

Free throws can be the difference. Usually we shoot and make more free throws than the other team, and that's not even close to happening here. And we need to, you know, make the actual free throw when given an attempt.

Nice job by Indiana to not fold there, felt like it was a key point when the score was 27-16. Now play well in the second half.

QUOTE (farmteam @ Mar 10, 2013 -> 05:05 PM)
Free throws can be the difference. Usually we shoot and make more free throws than the other team, and that's not even close to happening here. And we need to, you know, make the actual free throw when given an attempt.

Nice job by Indiana to not fold there, felt like it was a key point when the score was 27-16. Now play well in the second half.

Seems like both Zeller and Oladipo spent a lot of time on the bench that half, but I can't find "minutes" recorded in the stats easily. Hulls obviously also but that was fouls.

IU has 0 points from its bench right now. 0/8 on FG.