2012-2013 NCAA Basketball thread

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (farmteam @ Mar 10, 2013 -> 05:10 PM)
Is this a common thing at college arenas? People would get heckled and stuff for wearing an opponent's jersey at Assembly Hall, but they could wear it. The only rule was the standard no profanity.

Student told to wear Michigan shirt or leave

I think it is for the "Student section", since universities are usually giving students much cheaper tickets so that they can get into those sections.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Mar 10, 2013 -> 04:09 PM)
Seems like both Zeller and Oladipo spent a lot of time on the bench that half, but I can't find "minutes" recorded in the stats easily. Hulls obviously also but that was fouls.

IU has 0 points from its bench right now. 0/8 on FG.

Seth Davis made a good point on the halftime show -- Crean oversubbed his way out of a lead. No reason to take out Zeller and Oladipo with a 10-3 lead when neither of them have a foul. That Michigan run had as much to do with Burke coming back as it did with us playing half the bench.

QUOTE (farmteam @ Mar 10, 2013 -> 05:13 PM)
Seth Davis made a good point on the halftime show -- Crean oversubbed his way out of a lead. No reason to take out Zeller and Oladipo with a 10-3 lead when neither of them have a foul. That Michigan run had as much to do with Burke coming back as it did with us playing half the bench.

Yeah, i definitely kept looking for them during that Michigan run and couldn't figure out why only 1 would be in there (Oladipo did keep missing layups).

Hopefully that's part of the plan, to have them on the court more in the 2nd, or something like that.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Mar 10, 2013 -> 04:12 PM)
I think it is for the "Student section", since universities are usually giving students much cheaper tickets so that they can get into those sections.

But that's my point -- my main experience with college basketball was (obviously) with Indiana, and in the student section* people could wear an opponent's jersey, even though we paid less to be in those seats.

*I understand Indiana's "student section" is pretty convoluted. It's gotten better in the last few years though, because they made the lower left corner (on TV, it's on the near left side) a "General Admission" student section so people can all get up near the front and it looks like a legitimate student section. And then there's behind the left side basket.

Saw a tweet today that IU's student section is 9% bigger than MSU's, Michigan's and Ohio State's student sections combined. That's misleading though, since besides the aforementioned improvements, students are really spread out in the arena. They're not in a cohesive "section."

QUOTE (WilliamTell @ Mar 10, 2013 -> 06:19 PM)
Hindsight is 20/20 and not that it would've mattered considering Indiana doubled up Michigan in rebounds but why wouldn't Michigan have anyone down there to possibly get an offensive rebound. I would've taken the risk of fouling or not being set defensively.

I think McGary had 4 fouls, right? If nothing else, you've got to protect him. Look how close he came to that last tipin.

QUOTE (Brian @ Mar 10, 2013 -> 05:18 PM)
Choke. Missing FTs. Don't deserve to win.

Still should've been 2 and ball.

Yeah should've been called that, but it'd be hard to find a crew of refs actually calling it with that magnitude of a game that close to the end. Just had to hit free throws.....or not give up 2nd, 3rd, and 4th chance opportunities.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Mar 10, 2013 -> 06:21 PM)
There isn't even anyone I feel comfortable picking to the Final 4.

Just assume the Big Ten is better than everyone else. They've been beating the living crap out of each other for the last 3 months. These would be 1-2 loss teams if they were in the same conference as the Zags.

Unless IU comes out with the number 1 overall, every one of these teams will be underrated.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Mar 10, 2013 -> 05:21 PM)
I think McGary had 4 fouls, right? If nothing else, you've got to protect him. Look how close he came to that last tipin.

That was Morgan who had the shot at tipping it in. Still need to have a couple guys trying to get an offensive board in my opinion. Also puts even more pressure on Burke shooting the FT's I'd say.