2012-2013 NCAA Basketball thread

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Mar 6, 2013 -> 08:21 AM)
Illinois was the letdown game. This one they got outplayed.

I get road games are tough in the B10, but so disappointed in the older players for coming out flat again. Come on, where's the hunger. Win that game and you put yourself in a helluva lot better position for the B10 tourney and really help out your NCAA seeding then.

It's just frustrating, I don't think there's been a more up and down team than Illinois this season.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Mar 6, 2013 -> 09:33 AM)
He was blubbering the entire time. I've never attended a senior night so maybe thats the norm.

I'm given to understand IU generally does more (including longer speeches, hah) for Senior Night than most schools anyway. As for crying, I've seen some players tear up. I haven't been able to watch the speeches yet so I can't comment on these ones specifically.

That said, I couldn't care less if Hulls sobbed his way through his entire speech. The speech was for Indiana and its fans, no one else. It's gotta be even more emotional for these seniors since they entered at absolute rock bottom and have a chance to leave as high atop the mountain as you can get.

Not a fan of cutting down the nets, though. Makes it seem like you've already achieved something (which I guess we have, but still) when there's so much more to earn.

QUOTE (farmteam @ Mar 6, 2013 -> 04:30 PM)
I'm given to understand IU generally does more (including longer speeches, hah) for Senior Night than most schools anyway. As for crying, I've seen some players tear up. I haven't been able to watch the speeches yet so I can't comment on these ones specifically.

That said, I couldn't care less if Hulls sobbed his way through his entire speech. The speech was for Indiana and its fans, no one else. It's gotta be even more emotional for these seniors since they entered at absolute rock bottom and have a chance to leave as high atop the mountain as you can get.

Not a fan of cutting down the nets, though. Makes it seem like you've already achieved something (which I guess we have, but still) when there's so much more to earn.

I could care less about the speeches, long, short, good or bad.

But yeah, cutting down nets, wearing championship hats, and getting the trophy after that? That's silly.

Two things come to mind. 1. IU had no backup plan in case of a loss and 2. They've forgotten what winning is like so much that they forced themselves to go through with it because they want to celebrate anything and everything.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Mar 6, 2013 -> 04:40 PM)

But yeah, cutting down nets, wearing championship hats, and getting the trophy after that? That's silly.

Two things come to mind. 1. IU had no backup plan in case of a loss and 2. They've forgotten what winning is like so much that they forced themselves to go through with it because they want to celebrate anything and everything.

2 is somewhat close to the truth. The way I see it, IU has had such a terrible past few years, and now we want to take advantage of every "good" (ie, winning at least a share of the Big Ten crown) thing we can. Therefore, we wanted to have all the pomp and circumstance of getting to cut down the nets. Unfortunately, yesterday's game was the only remaining home game. So it's a tough circumstance.

Personally, I wouldn't have done it in this situation. Have some private ceremony with just players/family later. Maybe not ideal, but better than at 1 in the morning after a loss.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Mar 6, 2013 -> 04:40 PM)

Yeah, its clearly for the fans at the game. I had never attended one before, it seemed really long to me but thats probably by design. For example he spoke about every member of his family that was there. I'm sure its a great event for those kids, especially the ones who were there through the s*** times.

QUOTE (farmteam @ Mar 6, 2013 -> 04:56 PM)
2 is somewhat close to the truth. The way I see it, IU has had such a terrible past few years, and now we want to take advantage of every "good" (ie, winning at least a share of the Big Ten crown) thing we can. Therefore, we wanted to have all the pomp and circumstance of getting to cut down the nets. Unfortunately, yesterday's game was the only remaining home game. So it's a tough circumstance.

Personally, I wouldn't have done it in this situation. Have some private ceremony with just players/family later. Maybe not ideal, but better than at 1 in the morning after a loss.

Turn it into a pep rally send off before the Big Ten Tournament or NCAA Tournament. The IU fans in town will go. This was just stupid on their part.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Mar 6, 2013 -> 05:34 PM)
Turn it into a pep rally send off before the Big Ten Tournament or NCAA Tournament. The IU fans in town will go. This was just stupid on their part.

Agreed. Could have set that up for a different time instead of making a dumb decision.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Mar 5, 2013 -> 10:12 PM)
Michigan is so flawed. I still think they'll be the first 1/2 seed eliminated from the big dance.

They look vulnerable of late, including tonight. However, I think I'd lean Georgetown. Their offensive efficiency is really low.

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Mar 6, 2013 -> 07:55 PM)
They look vulnerable of late, including tonight. However, I think I'd lean Georgetown. Their offensive efficiency is really low.

Ya I'm not gtowns biggest fan either. I could see either losing in the rd of 32 but I think there's a better shot UM goes down the first weekend.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Mar 6, 2013 -> 10:17 PM)
Ya I'm not gtowns biggest fan either. I could see either losing in the rd of 32 but I think there's a better shot UM goes down the first weekend.

Let's be honest, there really aren't any great teams this year. It wouldn't be shocking if anyone is gone before the Sweet 16.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Mar 6, 2013 -> 05:02 PM)
Yeah, its clearly for the fans at the game. I had never attended one before, it seemed really long to me but thats probably by design. For example he spoke about every member of his family that was there. I'm sure its a great event for those kids, especially the ones who were there through the s*** times.

It's been a tradition since the 70's. Jim Crews brought it to Evansville, so I am familiar with it. Basically, the players have the mic without a time limit. Some talk awhile, some make jokes, some get real emotional. Heard there have been a few marriage proposals.

As far as the nets being cut down and celebrating the title, I'm okay with it. From a distance its kinda weird, but the rationale was this year was special because of the journey it has taken to get there and this team will be considered special in IU history, regardless of how the season ends. They wanted to do it in front of fans. I'm sure everybody wishes they would have done it after a win. But how is it really different from a baseball team celebrating a division championship after a loss when the other team in contention lost also?

Don't see it everyday, but to me, I say let them have their moment and its not time to take care of business and keep your eyes on the bigger prize.

QUOTE (Rex Hudler @ Mar 7, 2013 -> 12:19 AM)
It's been a tradition since the 70's. Jim Crews brought it to Evansville, so I am familiar with it. Basically, the players have the mic without a time limit. Some talk awhile, some make jokes, some get real emotional. Heard there have been a few marriage proposals.

As far as the nets being cut down and celebrating the title, I'm okay with it. From a distance its kinda weird, but the rationale was this year was special because of the journey it has taken to get there and this team will be considered special in IU history, regardless of how the season ends. They wanted to do it in front of fans. I'm sure everybody wishes they would have done it after a win. But how is it really different from a baseball team celebrating a division championship after a loss when the other team in contention lost also?

Don't see it everyday, but to me, I say let them have their moment and its not time to take care of business and keep your eyes on the bigger prize.

Agreed. Though, what I do find odd is that this is such a HUGE deal to everyone this year, when MSU did the exact same thing last year after losing their outright title.

QUOTE (He_Gawn @ Mar 7, 2013 -> 06:47 AM)
Agreed. Though, what I do find odd is that this is such a HUGE deal to everyone this year, when MSU did the exact same thing last year after losing their outright title.

I dunno, it just doesn't feel right to me. I think what's bothering me most is that it's not only that they did it after a loss, but a loss that actually meant something (not clinching the outright title).